Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2017, 01:31 PM

5,701 posts, read 3,223,098 times

Advertisements

Really, the Dems need Pelosi and Schumer to shut the hell up and let the rare Blue Dogish Dems speak for the party.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2017, 01:39 PM

3,187 posts, read 1,509,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
Infrastructure is DOA, Trump is killing any big infrastructure bill with that tax plan....

shame really because we could have left taxes alone and funded a multi trillion infrastructure bill that would have created real jobs AND improved the lives of the public AND help business compete...

but that would not save Trump and his buddies billions...
Totally agree with this. Infrastructure was the one hope I had for Trump. He sure likes to build and put his name on things. It's a huge issue; not just roads and bridges, but water, gas lines and our electrical grid are all ancient. There is not going to be any money for it now.

I agree with Jones saying this. To come out swinging on this issue would not be a good idea. There are also plenty of others that have been in there longer pushing the issue. Trump's harassment makes me sick and I am glad it is being revisited. However, it's not even my biggest issue with him; I am more concerned about the immediate danger he causes by acting so unstable and irrational. Many times he refuses to listen to his own cabinet leaders.

Old 12-17-2017, 09:46 PM

25,578 posts, read 17,293,027 times
This is going to be interesting!
Jones has to walk an awfully fine line if he wants to stay in Washington. It can be done, though. It would mean spending a lot of time in the black belt counties that carried him, and convincing those counties that he is working in their best interest.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.d86c011c39f2

It would mean that on occasion he will need to vote with Republicans. And that means he will not be assigned a seat on important committees. But Alabamians may not care.
After 2020 he could switch to Republican.

I wish him the best.

Old 12-17-2017, 09:48 PM

32,065 posts, read 15,067,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
coming from alabama, jones is going to be a bit more conservative than most democrats today. if he continues down this path, he will likely be reelected when the time rolls around, and he may be the one to bring the democrat party back to sanity in the coming years, we shall see.
Actually, he may be the one to bring back the sanity in the republican party. This guy seems to be a moderate which we desperately need these days.

Old 12-17-2017, 09:56 PM

30,639 posts, read 18,235,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
This is going to be interesting!
Jones has to walk an awfully fine line if he wants to stay in Washington. It can be done, though. It would mean spending a lot of time in the black belt counties that carried him, and convincing those counties that he is working in their best interest.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.d86c011c39f2

It would mean that on occasion he will need to vote with Republicans. And that means he will not be assigned a seat on important committees. But Alabamians may not care.
After 2020 he could switch to Republican.

I wish him the best.
Eh, he'd have to convince more than just African Americans, especially as he'd be running against a Republican not named Roy Moore and running in a presidential election year, where turnout is highest among Republican voters. Let's remember, Alabama is a state where a normal Republican wins statewide office by more than 20% over the Dem. Blacks are only about 30-32% of the Alabama electorate. While they overwhelmingly vote Democrat, white voters, who make up the overwhelming majority of the remaining voter base, overwhelmingly vote for the GOP, which is why the GOP is able to rack up such lopsided wins statewide as a general matter.

If he's sensible on issues and takes a conservative bent on more than occasion, he could possibly secure enough white votes to make a difference. Somehow, I doubt it, though.

And Alabama Republicans tend not to like party switchers, especially given the hard time long-time Republicans had winning back the state. I'm not saying that all you write is impossible, but I see it as highly improbable.

What's going in his favor is that not being a hard core leftist won't hurt him among black Democrat voters in a primary (that's only a problem with the most radical of leftists, a category that black Alabama Dems don't fall into as a general matter). But I see him being against common sense voter ID (which he probably is), against funding a border wall, and voting against Justice Kennedy's replacement to the Supreme Court (if Kennedy retires after this term as is expected). Such positions and votes would doom Jones in 2020. But, then again, if another terrible candidate like Moore is nominated by the GOP, nothing is off the table.

I don't wish the senator-elect ill during his tenure. In fact, like you, I wish him the best. But I also want him replaced in 2020, especially as he will not vote for a GOP majority leader to lead the chamber.

Old 12-17-2017, 11:18 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,452,870 times
It's too early to tell anything at this point.

Old 12-18-2017, 03:45 AM

8,840 posts, read 4,806,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
I guess it's time to "find" some allegations of sexual misconduct against Jones.
I am sure Bannon and Moore were looking at everything they could find about Jones and his past. Since no stories came out, I would assume he has lived a very clean life.

I watched the interview with Tapper. I thought Jones was very respectful and made good sense. The one thing he mentioned working with trump on was infrastructure, which a lot of Dems have shown support for.

He is a much more conservative Democrat than I am, but he seems like a decent man who cares about representing his constituents honorably. We don't need racist bigoted nut jobs like Moore leading our country.

Old 12-18-2017, 03:51 AM

30,373 posts, read 19,170,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
Senator Jones sounds like a Trump kind of guy.

In his first round of Sunday show interviews since securing a stunning victory in red state Alabama over accused sexual predator Roy Moore, Jones said he doesn’t want to get bogged down in Trump’s sexual harassment allegations and would rather work on “real issues.”

“I think we need to move on and not get distracted by those issues,” Jones added. “Let’s get on with the real issues that are facing the people of this country right now.”

That’s at odds with some high-profile Democrats like Sens. Kirsten Gillibrand (NY) and Cory Booker (NJ) who believe the president should step down because at least 19 women have accused Trump of sexual misconduct.

Unlike other politicians who have stepped down, like Sen. Al Franken and Rep. John Conyers, Jones said the difference is the voters knew about these allegations and still elected Trump to the highest office.

“Those allegations were made and he was elected president of the United States,” Jones said. “I think the American people spoke.”

Jones said he’s willing to work with Republicans on passing some of Trump’s priorities like infrastructure investment said the sexual harassment allegations are not reason to get on Trump’s bad side.

“We need to move on and try to work with some real issues that are facing the country and not worry about getting at odds with the president any more than we have to,” Jones said.
If he's smart, he'll declare himself a Republican or Blue Dog democrat and vote with Trump if he wants to be reelected in Alabama.

Old 12-18-2017, 04:53 AM

3,221 posts, read 1,738,569 times
My prediction is he's a one-term guy. But even so, us libs need all the help we can get, even if temporary.

Old 12-18-2017, 04:57 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
coming from alabama, jones is going to be a bit more conservative than most democrats today. if he continues down this path, he will likely be reelected when the time rolls around, and he may be the one to bring the democrat party back to sanity in the coming years, we shall see.

A Democrat in the South, is the equivalent of a Republican in Massachusetts. Mitt Romney would be a Democrat in the Southern States.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies