U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2017, 01:16 PM

34,305 posts, read 18,168,838 times

Advertisements

YouTube Censored FCC Chairman Ajit Pai's Net Neutrality Video

Net neutrality proponents have claimed the regulations combat censorship, yet YouTube happily censored a video of Federal Communications Commission (FCC) Chairman Ajit Pai defending a net neutrality repeal.

The day before the FCC voted to repeal net neutrality regulations, Pai worked with The Daily Caller to releases a humorous video skewering net neutrality regulations. Part of the Dec. 13 video featured Pai swinging a lightsaber and dancing to a 17 second clip of The Harlem Shake, a catchy 2013 song parodied millions of times online.

Harlem Shake creator DJ Baauer complained to The Verge that the audio clip was “used completely without my consent or council,” and as a result YouTube censored the video for seven hours.

The Daily Caller pressured YouTube, and the video was restored.

How many parodies of the Harlem Shake is out there on YouTube? Close to 7 million. This one causes a problem.

Let me get this straight... Net Neutrality, which YouTube supports, is supposed to help combat censorship - and then they censor a video, likely for political purposes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFhT6H6pRWg
Rate this post positively

Old 12-19-2017, 01:17 PM

28,529 posts, read 14,540,509 times
Please. The copyright owner complained. Google acted appropriately. Trying to make it some big conspiracy is just nuts.

Old 12-19-2017, 01:22 PM

10,928 posts, read 5,696,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
YouTube Censored FCC Chairman Ajit Pai's Net Neutrality Video

Net neutrality proponents have claimed the regulations combat censorship, yet YouTube happily censored a video of Federal Communications Commission (FCC) Chairman Ajit Pai defending a net neutrality repeal.

The day before the FCC voted to repeal net neutrality regulations, Pai worked with The Daily Caller to releases a humorous video skewering net neutrality regulations. Part of the Dec. 13 video featured Pai swinging a lightsaber and dancing to a 17 second clip of The Harlem Shake, a catchy 2013 song parodied millions of times online.

Harlem Shake creator DJ Baauer complained to The Verge that the audio clip was “used completely without my consent or council,” and as a result YouTube censored the video for seven hours.

The Daily Caller pressured YouTube, and the video was restored.

How many parodies of the Harlem Shake is out there on YouTube? Close to 7 million. This one causes a problem.

Let me get this straight... Net Neutrality, which YouTube supports, is supposed to help combat censorship - and then they censor a video, likely for political purposes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFhT6H6pRWg
They did not censor it for political reasons. They censored it for copyright infringement (music).

I was dissapointed that it was removed - I was hoping it would become the most disliked video in YT's history (although, this one could be well on its way!).

Old 12-19-2017, 01:27 PM

5,721 posts, read 4,997,374 times
The guy is really sticking to his story that it's a good thing. Wonder how many deposits he has had made to his bank accounts overseas.

Old 12-19-2017, 01:27 PM

37,305 posts, read 18,999,724 times
Now why would you bring up that toe-curlingly embarrassing piece of Ajitprop? If I'd been against NN, I would have been more than happy to see that little incident forgotten.

Your guy completely despises the public he's supposed to serve and would like us to know that he has the power to break something valuable over our objections, we already know that. Do you really want him broadcasting it?

Old 12-19-2017, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Please. The copyright owner complained. Google acted appropriately. Trying to make it some big conspiracy is just nuts.
Not making it a big conspiracy... but the copyright issue is very weak since there are literally a ton of Harlem shake videos in existence on their servers. They have a problem with THIS one.

Old 12-19-2017, 01:34 PM

28,529 posts, read 14,540,509 times
Quote:
Not making it a big conspiracy... but the copyright issue is very weak since there are literally a ton of Harlem shake videos in existence on their servers.
And? It still doesn't change googles required response. Maybe the guy should stop stealing stuff.

Old 12-19-2017, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
And? It still doesn't change googles required response. Maybe the guy should stop stealing stuff.
YouTube restored the video. They knew they were wrong and there was no copyright violation.

Old 12-19-2017, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Not making it a big conspiracy... but the copyright issue is very weak since there are literally a ton of Harlem shake videos in existence on their servers. They have a problem with THIS one.
What would they have to gain by taking this terrible video down? It only serves to show how awful the FCC chairman is, and how terrible his arguments are. And they are really (reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally) bad.

This video is going to be a great weapon for people against this decision (i.e. the vast, vast majority of Americans). Ajit is going to regret taking part in this promo - he is literally putting his face on this decision, and I predict it is going to haunt him for a long time.

Old 12-19-2017, 01:49 PM

Quote:
YouTube restored the video. They knew they were wrong and there was no copyright violation.
That's not how it works - they have an obligation to take it down before evaluating the claim. If you have ever posted on YT and have had your video taken down, you would know this is how it works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.