Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2017, 01:40 AM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Pay wall, but regardless, that articles seems to be about individual returns for rich people based on the next tax system; Where as Im talking about effective tax rates.

Millionaires and billionaires paying 18% effective rates while you and I pay 25%.

OK, but since when have Democrats been any more inclined to raise taxes on the donor class than Republicans?

Today, I'm happy to be getting something instead of nothing.

If you can figure out a way to get either party to actually increase taxes on the people that fund their elections, I'll be happy to support your plan.

Until then, talk is cheap...

1964,top rate cut from 91% to 77%.......Democrats controlled both houses.

1965,top rate cut from 77% to 70%.......Democrats controlledboth houses.

1982,top rate cut from 70% to 50%.......Democrats controlled Congress.

1987,top rate cut from 50% to 38.5%.... Democrats controlled both houses.

1988,top rate cut from 38.5% to 33%.... Democrats controlled both houses.

1991,top rate cut from 33% to 31%........Democrats controlled both houses.

Old 12-20-2017, 01:49 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 23 days ago)

29,552 posts, read 16,542,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
OK, but since when have Democrats been any more inclined to raise taxes on the donor class than Republicans?

Today, I'm happy to be getting something instead of nothing.

If you can figure out a way to get either party to actually increase taxes on the people that fund their elections, I'll be happy to support your plan.

Until then, talk is cheap...

1964,top rate cut from 91% to 77%.......Democrats controlled both houses.

1965,top rate cut from 77% to 70%.......Democrats controlledboth houses.

1982,top rate cut from 70% to 50%.......Democrats controlled Congress.

1987,top rate cut from 50% to 38.5%.... Democrats controlled both houses.

1988,top rate cut from 38.5% to 33%.... Democrats controlled both houses.

1991,top rate cut from 33% to 31%........Democrats controlled both houses.
What do you think the Buffet Rule was ?

Old 12-20-2017, 07:20 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
Okay, I'm going to try to make this as simple as possible. These are tax cuts, which extend to everyone, no matter how rich or poor. Therefore, those who pay more taxes will indeed see a bigger tax cut. But.....that's because they already pay more taxes!!!! Half of our population pays nothing anyway! So please explain to me how we can cut their taxes any further. This complaint about the rich getting tax cuts makes no sense. Of course they get cuts. They are paying the taxes. And as for the middle and upper middles who actually do pay some taxes, you will receive a cut appropriate to what you pay in. It's simple math. The more you usually have to pay, the better your cut is liable to appear. However, that will not change the fact that the same rich people who were paying the most before will continue to pay the most now. They just get a cut, just like the rest of us. I'm sorry that they made more money, so the cut will look larger for them. Common sense people, of course it will. Here's an example:

Let's say Congress passed a baseline 10% tax decrease for every man, woman, and child. No credits of any kind. Just a 10% cut. Your neighbor Jimmy John usually owes Uncle Sam $1000.00/yr when tax time comes around. The manager of your workplace usually owes $5000.00/yr, and the owner of the company you work for usually owes $50000.00/yr. Ok, now we get that %10 tax cut I was talking about. So now, Jimmy John only paid $900.00 this year. He saved a cool hundred bucks. Your manager saved a cool $500.00 and only paid $4500.00 this year. And then there's that wicked owner of the company. Sitting up there with all that money, and on top of that, he saved $5000.00 on his taxes too!!! That's not fair!! But wait, he still paid in $45000.00 in taxes. That's roughly $44000.00 more than Jimmy John and $40000.00 more than your company manager. So you see, sure, the owner of the company saw a bigger cut to his taxes. Yet he still paid far more than Jimmy John or the manager of the business. So what exactly are you people complaining about? Did you all expect a tax cut for the lower and middle class and a tax increase for the wealthier Americans? Please, tell me what you think should happen here?
First off the tax bill is writtwn for Republican donnors and if you don't see that you aren't really informed enough to really comment.

Second off, your flat tax idea isn't going to work. The Flat Tax proposal calls for a 17% flat rate and that is suspect if it can find the government. Your 10% isn't enough to pay to keep govern programs up, let alone pay down the debt from running said program. What do we do then?

Old 12-20-2017, 07:56 AM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
First off the tax bill is writtwn for Republican donnors and if you don't see that you aren't really informed enough to really comment.

Second off, your flat tax idea isn't going to work. The Flat Tax proposal calls for a 17% flat rate and that is suspect if it can find the government. Your 10% isn't enough to pay to keep govern programs up, let alone pay down the debt from running said program. What do we do then?
Boy they must really be incompetent. I'm not a Republican donnor (sic) but I get a 20% cut in my federal income taxes. I guess they can't even write a bill that only helps their donors without messing it up.

(are liberals really THAT dumb?)

Old 12-20-2017, 08:27 AM

15,632 posts, read 10,390,278 times
I don't think democrats hate working people. democrats disdain working people.

all one has to do to know this is true is listen to the progressive media and read quotes from dem leaders. they say they care about the middle class, but in the next breath call "working people" deplorable, dumb, uneducated and assume working people are all hicks who marry their sister and drive pickup trucks. some even accuse working people of being Nazis, which is beyond the pale.

these deplorables obviously need democrat politicians and progressive media to tell them how to live and think 'the right way'. which is to say how the democrat politicians and progressive media demand working people should live and think.

Old 12-20-2017, 08:30 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,651,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
This tax bill is just the latest example. The vast majority of American taxpayers, and virtually all middle class working people, see a sizable tax cut under the Republican tax plan. It puts money in people's pockets, stimulates business, encourages job creation.

Sadly, the individual tax cuts expire in 2027. Most everyone has read that. However, what you aren't reading about-and what the MSM is refusing to report-is WHY. It's pretty simple actually. In order to make these cuts to American taxpayers permanent, there must be 60 votes for it in the Senate. Sadly-ZERO Democratic senators were willing to do the right thing and do something to aid American workers.

Instead, every Democrat voted to screw over the American worker.
Every. Single. One

When you see the extra money in your paycheck come January-remember that. And more important-remember that next November when these same Dems that voted to deny you a tax break are begging for your vote.
it's short term thinking. While the extra coins are great we all know in about 5 to 10 years it's going to come back and bite us on the rear. I could see if the government was going to cut spending but we all know that isn't going to happen.

Old 12-20-2017, 08:35 AM

956 posts, read 1,207,659 times
What I like to know why does the average joe Republican constantly bend over backwards to the rich? I guess they think one day they will be rich? I don't know if you understand, but the rich people don't give a crap about you. They will use you and spit you out.

Old 12-20-2017, 08:43 AM

12,638 posts, read 8,954,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeHudson View Post
What I like to know why does the average joe Republican constantly bend over backwards to the rich? I guess they think one day they will be rich? I don't know if you understand, but the rich people don't give a crap about you. They will use you and spit you out.
Because we plan on being rich one day.

Why does the average joe Democrat constantly bend over backwards for the dependent class? They assume they'll be dependent on the government one day.

Republicans want to take care of themselves and Democrats want the government to take care of them.

Old 12-20-2017, 08:43 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,497,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post

Cut government programs for 200 Alex...

I'll give credit where it's due. 1 decent thing to come from slick Willy was cutting back full boat funding to welfare recipients and required them to work, and subsidize what they couldn't afford after their income. I'd go a step further. If an employer requires drug testing to provide you with the means of making ends meet, so too shall the government.

First things I'd gut, every alphabet soup agency/bureau.
Do we need the CIA NSA to do the same functions? Nope. Ditch 1.

Did the ATF need to expand on explosives? FBI has a department dedicated to explosives. Cut that out.

EPA (8 billion dollar budget) I'd give them 6 months to build prototypes to clean air and water, and a budget needed to operate and maintain them... Don't deliver? I start de-funding to the tune of 100k per day. Already have ENCON at the local level
Department of interior... 20 something billion dollars?

Start gutting non essentials.
End rampant abuse of programs designed to be a helping hand, not a career.
Military, remove the ties that bind and neuter our troops. Have a victory planned in a year. Or full withdrawal.
Mil surp sold at whole sale prices to the public. Have a corresponding pilots license? Want a retired fighter/fighter bomber/helicopter destined to become scrap? No more scrapping. Buy yourself an old war bird.
Have a tow company? Want a capable tow rig for inclement weather? Deuce and a half and 5 tonners brought back sold for you to upfit with a roll back and stinger.
Or to throw a dump body on. Mount a plow to clear roads parking lots driveways etc.
Work in logging/lumber? Want an APC to drag logs instead of a skidder or to get workers in adverse areas? You've got it. Could also use Chinook choppers for that role too...
No more burning ammo. Sell it to the public/shooting ranges etc.
Certain sized naval craft could be used in civilian and law enforcement roles.

Then after you've addressed federal waste, do it in your state. Why does it cost so much to live in NY MA CT but not Florida
Pay elected officials legitimate civil servants wages. Pay them on a flat rate scale like they pay mechanics. Remind them who they were elected to serve and slap a 100% transparency act on them. Their financial records, from campaign donors, to lobbyists, communication records (eliminates the whole Muh Collusion and sexual harassment)

Hit the department of education too. I'd eliminate funding the middle man and go straight to the source. Instead of giving schools the money for "performance" give the individual teachers the money on performance. Oh your class has near perfect attendance? 70% can maintain a B average because you engage the students and teachers them in the class instead of subsidize learning in the classroom with an asinine amount of homework and bombardment of tests? You get paid for your performance.
College, if truly not for profit. Audit them. Revise their budget.

Insurance? Pass a consumer protection act. Insurance companies can't drop coverage just because you had a pre existing ailment, catastrophic event, etc.
Want cheaper insurance? Stop being a gluttonous pig, be more active, don't suck down 3 packs of cigarettes a day, don't drink like a fish, don't shoot up with dope, don't go sleeping around without a rain coat. And the other one my sister saw first hand, stop using the emergency room for nonsense. Most cases she's seen first hand were unfit/young parents that have a wailing baby/toddler come in for gas, ear infection, followed by munchausen and hypochondriacs. Things that can be dealt with at a primary care physician office.

Legitimate emergencies, like fractures, heart attacks, strokes, trauma from accidents weren't all that common. She's not the only health care worker I know either that has stated such...

Contrary to popular misconception, a bigger government, isn't better. Just costs more and creates more avenues to generate revenue for the gov.
Should be a bi-partisan effort to decrease waste. Unfortunately, when 1 party wants more regulations, it entails expanse and expense.

I'd cut capital gains tax too. That would be one of the first things I would do. You want to buy an abandoned or foreclosure fix it up and sell for profit, go for it.
You're buying a liability, you're fixing it up, you're making a contribution by making an improvement to a community... why do you get whacked for it?

Want to own a duplex live in 1 half rent out the other, go for it! Why get penalized for your success when you go to sell?

Same with any other investment. If you bought a ton of shares in a penny stock in say a start up or tech company bio med whatever, and it takes off and you sell in 3 weeks or 3 months when it has gone up in value significantly. Why be required to hold onto it for a period of time? If it went from .80 cents per share to 5.80 per share, you sell at 3.80 per share and own 1200 shares... why be taxed on it when you sell it? It was your risk... your decision. Your money.

Only thing I'd have done different with the tax bill. Propose a reduction on tax on corporations so long as
1. 100% employment is comprised of US citizens. No visas.
2. At least 60% employees in non management roles make between 55 and 85k per year.
3. Production occurs 100% on US soil. Sorry Apple GM Ford etc. No more skirting taxes with "final production/assembly" occurring state side.
4. Open to US corporations only.

I'd rather see everyone well off than to blame this that or the other. All comes down to priorities. Which would you rather.
1. Freebies/Handouts with high taxes because it feels good?
2. Sink or swim with low taxes rewarding those who work for it?
You don't have to be a millionaire or billionaire tycoon to benefit.

There are many ways we all can turn a dime into a dollar. Just depends on your skills, your ambition, and less regulations that kill competition and less tax that penalizes success... of course I would expect some to comment along the lines of, we lack the manpower the skills the this, the that. That's just being pessimistic to justify wasteful spending. I wouldn't be where I am today with a bleak outlook woe is me easy way out. How else do I have the time to engage others via the interwebs?

Wasn't by being a lemming and following everyone else's lead to jump into college straight after highschool to inherit a debt. Wasn't by sticking to only 1 skillset to trade blood sweat and hours for dollars... Wasn't by distractions of social media social life either. Wasn't by having a sense of entitlement and that I should only have 1 job and only work 9-5... alot of 12-18 hour days 6 days a week. Sometimes 7. Wasn't by engaging in irresponsible activities that would limit/restrict freedom and economic opportunity (sleeping around, kids, marraige, drugs)

Wasn't easy either. Was not all work and no play either. Totally worth it too. Would have been easier without high taxes for someone else to get a discount or free ride.

Old 12-20-2017, 08:45 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,497,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
it's short term thinking. While the extra coins are great we all know in about 5 to 10 years it's going to come back and bite us on the rear. I could see if the government was going to cut spending but we all know that isn't going to happen.
Yeah if a progressive (whether "repubican" or democrat) with Robin Hood economists gets their hands in it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies