Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2017, 10:51 PM

6,926 posts, read 6,889,975 times

Advertisements

From NPR

Quote:
The jitters over North Korea's missile tests have led Hawaii to bring back air raid sirens. The state already has sirens in place in case of tsunami, but starting this month the state will once again test the "wailing tone" meant specifically to warn of attack.

But Hawaii remains an exception. In most of the country, air raid sirens are long gone. In Seattle, the mainland big city closest to North Korea, emergency management officials say they would use the Emergency Broadcast System to send out alerts by TV and radio, as well as alerts to smart phones.

The question, though, is how prepared the public would be to respond to such an alert?
~snip~

Civil defense got very politically controversial in the 1980s. And a lot of people, especially on the left, essentially argued that civil defense was a waste of money at best, because it wasn't going to be effective, and at worst it was an insidious plan to make people complacent...

But Washington state senator Mark Miloscia — who is a former Air Force bomber pilot — would like to see more specific planning for nuclear attack. For him, the first step would be to change the 1984 state law barring nuclear emergency preparations, which he finds too fatalistic.

"Nuclear war is survivable. It may be horrific, and it may be painful, and it may be destruction all around, but it is survivable if you're smart about it," he says. "To say 'give up hope and just die,' I don't think that's the best of any sort of American spirit." ~snip~
I always thought that whole nuclear defense thing was a huge waste of time and energy because if a direct hit didn't get you, the radiation cloud would be along to finish you off quickly enough.

But maybe a "small" nuclear strike from Korea is survivable? Seattle is the closest potential nuclear target if you happen to be N. Korea. Should Seattle start doing bomb drills? Should EVERYONE start doing them just in case the two crazy men with their small hands on the button may be blowing us all up any day now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2017, 11:15 PM

22,854 posts, read 12,030,039 times
Were you concerned last year, when, because of heightened tensions, Putin began to hastily remodel and build bomb shelters, along with drilling the Russian citizens in quickly getting to the shelters ?

Old 12-19-2017, 11:27 PM

6,926 posts, read 6,889,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
Were you concerned last year, when, because of heightened tensions, Putin began to hastily remodel and build bomb shelters, along with drilling the Russian citizens in quickly getting to the shelters ?
I ain't scairt of ole Putin.

Not when it comes to nukes, I'm not. Putin is very cunning in addition to having spent a career with the KGB. He wouldn't go for the nuclear option. Why should he? Trump's eating out of the palm of Putin's hand. Why would old Vladimir want to go spoil the whole thing with an atomic bomb? Plus, having Trump under his thumb is a lot cheaper than polishing off the nuclear weapons to see if they still work.

Old 12-20-2017, 12:02 AM

736 posts, read 350,455 times
There is no point. Duck and cover isn't going to save you. Even at the height of the cold war, there weren't enough nuclear shelters for the majority of the population in any given major city.If you survive the initial blast, the person will likely be contaminated with radiation. Most people will be vaporized by the immediate blast. There would other problems like massive fires, smoke, and EMP effect on electronics.

A large city like Seattle will be buried under mountains of rubble. Take the attack on the trade center, but add all the skyscrapers and normal building to the debris plus the radiation. A shelter under all that debris and radiation will be a coffin. People in the shelter will run out of air, before anyone digs them out. Did I forget to mention that radiation particles are highly soluble in water, which the human is something like 60 percent of water. Those 50's drills are nothing more than propaganda. There was a British 60's drama show that tried to depict nuclear war as realistic as possible for the time, both during an attack and post nuclear strike, but drama was ban. The shows name is called "The War Game." I learned a long time ago that governments usually tell half lies. Technically true, but never tell the complete picture.

Take for example the Gulf of Tonkin. My high school text book conveniently left out the parts about Operation 34A and Pentagon Papers. The high school text also failed to mention that many of the officer and officials in the South Vietnamese government were corrupt, much like how I suspect Afghanistan, especially Hamid Karzai.

Old 12-20-2017, 12:06 AM

18,423 posts, read 9,045,837 times
I plan to stay above ground so that I’m instantly vaporized, instead of being buried alive in a radioactive tomb.

Old 12-20-2017, 05:51 AM

26,908 posts, read 13,123,741 times
We had a four minute warning in the UK during the Cold War.

The BBC advice was that on hearing the nuclear attack warning, you and your family must take cover, the actor Patrick Allen was the grim voice of the British Protect and Survive public information films about how to survive a nuclear war, he was later used as the warning voice in Frankie Goes to Hollywood's Two Tribes.

Old 12-20-2017, 07:07 AM

23,154 posts, read 26,052,677 times
I was in school in the 50's. Most of the time, we crouched down under our desks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies