Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2017, 09:36 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,845,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
Its the dems fault that the cuts for regular people won't be permanent. The GOP needed the dems for that. The dems were interested only interested in being against what the GOP was doing at the expense of regular people.

Hopefully regular people remember that in 2018 and 2020.
Republicans better hope that that is what people believe. In reality most people get some crumbs while a select few get the cake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2017, 09:39 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,265,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
SS and Medicare? No cuts, because the beneficiaries have already pre-paid for that.

Medicaid? Yes, by all means cut spending on it. It's totally free for its recipients, no pre-payment for decades required to be eligible for benefits.

The analogy: Food, clothing, and shelter are actually life necessities. The poor don't have unlimited access to pricey foods, pricey designer clothing, and multi-million dollar mansions. They get the bare-bones minimum. The same should be true of their freebie health care: No more freebie health care plans that spare no expense.
Social Security -- Cuts for the wealthy. No cuts for the poor.
SS was never meant for the rich to be able to use it to take cruises and live high on the hog
It's there as a safety net.
I don't care what you've paid in.

Old 12-21-2017, 09:42 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,089,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
Clearly everyone's experience is going to be different. My employers provided insurance didn't even double, perhaps that was because it was already a full feature plan.

At the time of the ACA passage I sat on the board of a non-profit with a few full time employees. Our costs went down because the employees were no longer buying insurance as individuals which we reimbursed.

The same thing that happened to me happened to millions of other people too.

It's a big reason that contributed to why Trump won the election.

The ACA promised the moon and delivered Swiss cheese...... by design.

Old 12-21-2017, 10:11 AM

17,440 posts, read 9,268,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
A large chunk of my income is reported to the irs as supplemental income. It went from 25 to 28 percent so my check is going down. Which one of you Cult 45 chicklet heads is making up the difference to me?
From the IRS on Supplemental Wages:
7. Supplemental Wages

Supplemental wages are wage payments to an employee that aren't regular wages. They include, but aren't limited to, bonuses, commissions, overtime pay, payments for accumulated sick leave, severance pay, awards, prizes, back pay, retroactive pay increases, and payments for nondeductible moving expenses. Other payments subject to the supplemental wage rules include taxable fringe benefits and expense allowances paid under a nonaccountable plan.

Not much available on how this Income will be Taxed, but I did find this chart.

Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017 |Paylocity - December 20, 2017

Impact on Payroll
IRS has indicated new withholding tables will be published as early as sometime in January. The reduced supplemental tax rate will need to be applied to any bonuses paid after the first of the year. Paylocity will update the supplemental tax rates in WebPay so any bonuses paid after January 1, 2018 are taxed at the correct rate of 22% or 37% based on amount. IRS has indicated the new tables will have an implementation deadline of sometime in February. Details on these changes will be communicated as they are rolled out.

Current rate is 25% - drops under the Tax Cut Law to 22% UNLESS your Supplemental Wage is over $1,000,000 - then it is 37%.

Looks like you have the 3% change in rates backwards. You GAIN 3% instead of losing 3%.
Who are you going to donate that extra 3% Tax Cut to???

Old 12-21-2017, 10:20 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,604,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Well, that's at least you and Barbie... "Math class is tough!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFh8WS0s8UQ
Way to cherry pick my response and ignore the meat of it.....

Old 12-21-2017, 10:40 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Social Security -- Cuts for the wealthy. No cuts for the poor.
Why should anyone NOT get what they paid for? Justify that.

By taking that stance, be aware that anyone with a high income and their employers won't earn/pay a salary. They'll pay them via other income methods that AREN'T subject to FICA. Is that what you want?

Old 12-21-2017, 10:43 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,456,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
The American worker is getting a nice gift at courtesy of the GOP. Extra money in their paycheck, with substantial increases in the amount of their earnings left to them. I encourage everyone to check out their 2018 pay stubs vs 2017 and make note of the difference.

And, in November of 2018-remember that no Democrat voted to give you a break.

Not. Even. One.

That should be more than enough to figure out what party is really the party of the working class.
I will remember, I promise you.

Looking forward to November, so I can vote against every Republican on the ticket.

Old 12-21-2017, 10:49 AM

46,289 posts, read 27,099,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
Its not only the CBO that is doubting the projections from this tax cut.

So far Our Dear Leader hasn't completed a year in office. I can point to quarters of growth during Obama's administration that exceeded 4%.

I don't know why so many believe a quack like our Dear Leader. He has promised job growth that is simply not achievable unless we start allowing huge migration to America.

So did your savior Obama...he laughed in your face or have you forgotten that? Here I'll remind you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4p4-vPrcDBo

Old 12-21-2017, 11:31 AM

7,473 posts, read 4,016,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Or support for veterans, ...

Remains to be seen if the Republican dog-eat-dog dystopian vision is shared by the majority of Americans.

At least the veteran voting block now is not to be sniffed at.........us nam vets are dying off... but there are now the ones from the middle east.......

Old 12-21-2017, 12:08 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,268,656 times
We need to all remember in November 2018 that Pelosi and Schumer have both said that IF they don't get increased "social spending" AND a DACA amnesty in the Continuing Resolution to keep the Government open ...... they won't allow a single Democrat to vote for the CR.

Pelosi to GOP: You’re on Your Own With CR - If House Republicans can’t agree on a plan, likelihood of government shutdown increases Rollcall

Of course it's a given that the Leftist Media and the Democrats will blame the Government Shutdown on Trump and the Republicans ......... but never forget that they are attempting to hold the Federal Government Hostage and all Federal Employees Hostage by withholding their votes for Illegal Aliens who want permeant resident status and all the benefits that go with it - like welfare.

When Republicans refused to Vote for a CR and the Government DID shut down -- ALL of the BLAME went to the Republicans ........ why is this different?

It's different because the Leftists and Democrats are totally convinced that the American Public is too stupid to figure out what the Just-Say-NO Democrats are doing.

Just like they thought the American Citizens were stupid enough to crown a Crooked Queen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies