Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2017, 05:14 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,611,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Tax cut = bad idea when you're in debt 20 Trillion, yes, that's with a T, Trillion dollars.

And this is coming from a guy who's never voted for any democrat at any level of government.

This country has lost its mind.
Cut spending.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2017, 05:22 AM

57,271 posts, read 26,199,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
The American worker is getting a nice gift at courtesy of the GOP. Extra money in their paycheck, with substantial increases in the amount of their earnings left to them. I encourage everyone to check out their 2018 pay stubs vs 2017 and make note of the difference.

And, in November of 2018-remember that no Democrat voted to give you a break.

Not. Even. One.

That should be more than enough to figure out what party is really the party of the working class.
Actually some republicans voted against this in the house, one thing for sure is that voters will remember that republicans voted for it and democrats voted against it, we wont see how this turns out until 2019.
We will see once again if supply side economics work, 3rd time might be a charm

It appears that the need to hire more IRS employees to put the bill in place by next week, way behind the curve.

Old 12-21-2017, 05:24 AM

590 posts, read 554,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
And in November check your health insurance premiums. Republicans thoroughly own that mess now.
You mean this mess that has Obama's name all over it, and the majority of Democrats who eagerly wanted it?

Old 12-21-2017, 05:50 AM

46,281 posts, read 27,093,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Your party as you called it has NEVER done an honest days work. EVER! Let's see their calloused hands! I can damn sure show you mine. So naïve to think otherwise. There won't be jack in anyone's paycheck other then in their own.

Panties in a wad there?

And I'll tell ya, I'll go hand for hand with ya, you have no clue what it's like to cut Tobacco in July in Kentucky....

Yes, naïve that you think only dems are the hard workers....

Old 12-21-2017, 05:53 AM

13,685 posts, read 9,007,828 times
During the love-fest yesterday, in which various Republicans heaped praise upon President Trump (for they know, as does Putin and others, that he responds well to over-the-top praise), some Republicans may have wished that Mr. Trump had not spoken.

Recall when Mr. Trump initially praised the House's 'repeal Obamacare' bill, only to thereafter (within a very few days) say that he didn't like the bill because it was 'mean spirited'? I had said then, look for Democrats to bring this up for the mid-term elections.

So, yesterday Mr. Trump gave the Democrats more fodder, saying (note third paragraph):

"The individual mandate is being repealed. When the individual mandate is being repealed, that means Obamacare is being repealed because they get their money from the individual mandate. So the individual mandate is being repealed.

So in this bill, not only do we have massive tax cuts and tax reform, we have essentially repealed Obamacare and we’ll come up with something that will be much better. Whether it’s block grants or whether it’s taking what we have and doing something terrific. But Obamacare has been repealed in this bill.

We didn’t want to bring it up. I told people specifically, be quiet with the fake news media because I don’t want them talking too much about it because I didn’t know how people — but now that it’s approved I can say, the individual mandate on healthcare, where you had to pay not to have insurance — okay think of that one, you paid not to have insurance — the individual mandate has been repealed."

Now, ignoring the fact that Obamacare was not repealed (indeed, the individual mandate is still the law of the land; Congress merely removed the tax penalty for not complying), we have Mr. Trump stating that he had advised the Republicans to not speak of this part of the tax bill (which they did not, although the news media did report on it). The word 'transparency' does not spring to mind.

Do not for a second think the Democrats won't bring this up. "I don't want them talking too much about it because I didn't know how people..." It seems even Mr. Trump may have realized he was going a bit too far. What was he going to say? How people 'would take it' or such?

Mr. Trump also admitted that the deep corporate tax cut was 'probably the biggest factor' in the tax plan. Not middle America. Proven by the fact that the corporate tax cut is permanent, those for average Americans, temporary.

Oh, yes, Mr. Trump again gave Democrats something to talk about come November.

Old 12-21-2017, 05:54 AM

89,006 posts, read 44,813,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartinez View Post
cut spending.
This!!! ^

Old 12-21-2017, 05:56 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,879,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
Yeah. Heatlh insurance costs were not a problem before Obama. As a business owner I can assure you that is moronic.
They absolutely were a problem. The ACA made it worse. Universal Health care would have gone a long way in solving it. Instead we got ACA.

Old 12-21-2017, 06:03 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
The American worker is getting a nice gift at courtesy of the GOP. Extra money in their paycheck, with substantial increases in the amount of their earnings left to them. I encourage everyone to check out their 2018 pay stubs vs 2017 and make note of the difference.

And, in November of 2018-remember that no Democrat voted to give you a break.

Not. Even. One.

That should be more than enough to figure out what party is really the party of the working class.

And remember Republicans voted to let those breaks to individuals expire while voting to let those breaks to their corporate overlords remain in perpetuity.

Old 12-21-2017, 06:05 AM

89,006 posts, read 44,813,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
They absolutely were a problem. The ACA made it worse. Universal Health care would have gone a long way in solving it. Instead we got ACA.
Local friends. A self-employed married couple with 2 high school age kids. Around $100,000 combined income before taxes. Their Obamacare premiums for 4 are $2,000/month with a $12,500 deductible. HOW on earth is that in ANY way affordable?

The left is VASTLY underestimating how much MANY people absolutely HATE Obamacare, but are terrified to go without the exorbitantly costly insurance.

This family would be WAY better off doing what I've always done for decades before idiotic Obamacare mandates: self-insure for normally expected medical expenses, plus buy a catastrophic policy to cover serious illness or injury.

Old 12-21-2017, 06:08 AM

554 posts, read 683,959 times
Can someone explain to me why it takes 60 votes in the senate to make individual tax cuts permanent, but you need only a simple majority to make corporate tax cuts permanent? Smells fishy...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies