Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If corporations dont massively raise wages, should their tax breaks expire?
Yes, they didnt keep their end of the bargain 31 56.36%
No, they deserve it 24 43.64%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2017, 05:47 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
That is what a booming economy does; it provides competition and corporations have to give more to their employees to keep them! It's all about supply and demand.
Like I said, they will raise wages when they don't have any other choice. If competing corporations are not paying more, then neither will the others. Wages are a huge part of the operating expenses, so it is only common sense they won't pay more than they need to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2017, 05:51 AM

3,618 posts, read 3,055,951 times
I kind of figure the democrats will figure out a way to reverse this when they regain some political stature. The people will probably back them on it when they see their roads, schools, medicare etc start to deteriorate. It won't take long.

Old 12-20-2017, 05:52 AM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
Yes.

They should bring their money back to America, hire Americans, and raise American wages.

The purpose of lowering our corporate tax rates to European levels is to make the US competitive with the rest of the world.

Making America competitive will bring about higher wages when a shortage of workers forces employers to pay more.

We will also need to control immigration, guest workers, etc.

Old 12-20-2017, 06:05 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,589,470 times
The tax breaks should have been contingent on higher wages.

Old 12-20-2017, 06:14 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,145,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Like I said, they will raise wages when they don't have any other choice. If competing corporations are not paying more, then neither will the others. Wages are a huge part of the operating expenses, so it is only common sense they won't pay more than they need to.
If you only have one corporation in your town, that uses plenty of temporary workers and pays low wages, and all of a sudden you have a second corporation in town that pays more - are you going to be better off? Competition forces corporations to improve wages and benefits. Of course some will turn to automation - but they might have regardless. Open borders would not help this situation!

How would your system of open borders, more bad trade deals, and giving away our benefits to those that have not earned them; make us better? All of this talk about how Trump is destroying America and we have not heard one reasonable plan from the left to make our lives better. Even now you still attack instead of proposing a 'better' way. That is why I am no longer a Democrat!

Old 12-20-2017, 06:19 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
In 2027, when the tax breaks expire for the middle class, should the other tax breaks also expire if they dont raise wages?
Corporate tax rates are not contingent of hiring or compensating employees.

Walmart is the largest private sector employer with 2.2 million employees of which 1.3 million are in the US. Most of the jobs are low wage in retail stores

There's an expectation among the Walmart workforce that Walmart will use the tax cuts to create new jobs and increase employee wages/ benefits. There is also shareholder expectation that the tax cuts will be used to increase shareholder value with dividends and/ or stock buy backs.

Walmart, like most employers pay a locally competitive wage, regardless of corporate tax rates.

Walmart opens new stores when and where they believe there is an adequate market for their goods, not because they have more capital.

Most corporations have no payroll. They are one man operations and/ or pay workers off the books.

Old 12-20-2017, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
If you only have one corporation in your town, that uses plenty of temporary workers and pays low wages, and all of a sudden you have a second corporation in town that pays more - are you going to be better off? Competition forces corporations to improve wages and benefits. Of course some will turn to automation - but they might have regardless. Open borders would not help this situation!
I said it twice, I won't repeat it again. You seem to be suggesting this bill will put a 2nd corporation in every town, which will drive operating expenses up. I said what I said, and I stick to it.

Quote:
How would your system of open borders, more bad trade deals, and giving away our benefits to those that have not earned them; make us better? All of this talk about how Trump is destroying America and we have not heard one reasonable plan from the left to make our lives better. Even now you still attack instead of proposing a 'better' way. That is why I am no longer a Democrat!
I have never been a Democrat, so I am not sure what the heck you are saying there. I am upset because I, and millions of others, will get ripped off by this tax bill.

Old 12-20-2017, 06:23 AM

6,732 posts, read 5,174,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
LOL. That was never on the bill, and the companies will obviously NOT pass the savings to the employees.
Amazing that there are people who are stupid enough to believe this.

Old 12-20-2017, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Walmart, like most employers pay a locally competitive wage, regardless of corporate tax rates.

Walmart opens new stores when and where they believe there is an adequate market for their goods, not because they have more capital.
Exactly

Quote:
Most corporations have no payroll. They are one man operations and/ or pay workers off the books.
I am a one man operation, and will get ripped off by this bill.

Old 12-20-2017, 06:25 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,331,859 times
In line with the simplistic nature of the question...when Democrats gleefully raise the corporate tax rate, should corporations lower employee salaries commensurately?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies