Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2017, 12:07 PM

13,954 posts, read 5,625,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
I hate to break it to you, but this simply isn’t true. Most high net worth people are from AT LEAST upper-middle class families. They leveraged those networks, along with parental support to create their wealth. Ivanka Trump, for example, has inheirited nothing.

I have good friends who are doctors. They are just under 40, and they live in $1 million home. Neither inherited a penny. BOTH of them grew up in two-doctor households.
So you now define "inheritance" as "any and all positive effects from being born into a normal, properly functioning family" or something along that line?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2017, 12:08 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,964,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Again, statistically, 80% of millionaires are first generation and self-made.

If someone keeps his job for 30 years, continue to fund his 401K in full, and not have kids and not buy a house, he will be a millionaire.

That's a mathematical certainty.
First generation millionaire and self-made are not the same thing, no matter how much the right wing wants to pretend. See the Ivanka Trunp example. She probably qualified as self-made (though obviously not second generation). The first generation millionaire who was born on third-base isn’t truly self-made. The number of wealthy people who started out middle class or below is roughly 20 percent.

Old 12-20-2017, 12:11 PM

89,006 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Only applies to ~20% of all current millionaires. The remainder are 1st generation, self-made millionaires.
Correct.

Old 12-20-2017, 12:13 PM

89,006 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
A) most millionaires wealthy people were born wealthy.
Wrong. 80% of US millionaires are 1st generation self-made millionaires. That's a well-known fact.

Old 12-20-2017, 12:13 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,808,426 times
Why are so many people obsessed with what other people do with THEIR own money? If someone is following all the laws (tax, criminal, etc.) that have been written and they make a fortune, why is that anyone else's business? Why is anyone else entitled to have a piece of that fortune other than what is deemed by existing law they pay to the appropriate entity? If you don't like it then change the laws or elect people that will do what you want. I believe that is what the GOP just did and what people elected them to do. Hopefully it will work according to their plan but if it doesn't then people can vote them out.

All this jealousy and worrying about what the rich man has is childish and certainly doesn't make you happy, or rich BTW. Your decisions affect you.

Who cares if someone else inherits money? Why is that your problem?

Old 12-20-2017, 12:17 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,241,918 times
Quote:
Exactly why we need get the government out of business.

Without the government, nobody can rob others with impunity.
That's exactly what the Robber Barons did before the gov't put safety regulations in places of business and ended child labor. Gov't must be in business to stop the greedy owners from harming workers and consumers.

Old 12-20-2017, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
So you now define "inheritance" as "any and all positive effects from being born into a normal, properly functioning family" or something along that line?
I don’t know why you use the word “inheritance” in quotes, because I never used it. Truthfully, you guys are using inheritance as a weasel word and a technicality. If most of your net worth is your home value, and your parents gave you the down payment, guess what? You aren’t self-made. If you didn’t pay for your education, you aren’t self-made.

I have an army buddy,from a solidly middle class background. Nowhere near upper-middle class. His father, who probably never made over 60k died and left him a house worth a couple hundred thousand, and an insurance policy of a similar size. Dad was certainly not a millionaire, and my friend only “inherited” about 200,000. Of course the end result was nearly a half million dollars that he didn’t work for.

Old 12-20-2017, 12:18 PM

2,657 posts, read 1,376,960 times
Quote:
Exactly why we need get the government out of business.

Without the government, nobody can rob others with impunity.
Not true. Without government the strongest can rob others with impunity. Compare the lifestyles of the average person during the laissez faire (robber baron) era to that of today, when the average person has far more protections.

Old 12-20-2017, 12:21 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,808,426 times
Quote:
I don’t know why you use the word “inheritance” in quotes, because I never used it. Truthfully, you guys are using inheritance as a weasel word and a technicality. If most of your net worth is your home value, and your parents gave you the down payment, guess what? You aren’t self-made. If you didn’t pay for your education, you aren’t self-made.

I have an army buddy,from a solidly middle class background. Nowhere near upper-middle class. His father, who probably never made over 60k died and left him a house worth a couple hundred thousand, and an insurance policy of a similar size. Dad was certainly not a millionaire, and my friend only “inherited” about 200,000. Of course the end result was nearly a half million dollars that he didn’t work for.
So? You say that with apparent disdain. Who should have received that money/equity that his father obtained over his lifetime?

Old 12-20-2017, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
So? Who should have received that money/equity that his father obtained over his lifetime?
No one is arguing that he doesn’t deserve everything that his father worked to give him. I’m simply arguing that he doesn’t deserve the title self-made millionaire. I’m explaining how missleading the figures actually are. He wasn’t exactly born on third-base, but he certainly didn’t hit a triple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies