Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2017, 04:35 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,549,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
when tax bill is signed into law. The company also increased its capital expenditures budget by $1 billion in the U.S. Oops, there goes another liberal progressive meme.

Such losers. https://www.cnbc.com/2017/12/20/tax-...employees.html
And I have been getting a multi-thousand dollar bonus check for years. My company hasn't said my pay will increase.

Old 12-20-2017, 04:48 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,034,396 times
Quote:
Liberals and progressives have to be the most sullen, unhappy and constipated people on the planet.
Pffft... It's the far-right who whines about everything, every day. Oh, no - gays are getting married, Muslims live in the neighborhood, I might not be able to buy another gun, and I have to pay mah taxes! Oh, the hardships of first-world life!

"Liberals" - which you can read as the majority of voters at this point who are against this tax plan - are smart enough to smell a fraud when they see one; heck, they were also smart enough not to vote for Trump.

This tax plan is just a pay-day loan scam, where you get "your money now!" with a big cost later. Or, think of it as simply deciding one month to start only make the minimum payment on your credit cards. Wow - look at all the money you saved! Until the bill comes due.

Old 12-20-2017, 04:49 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,954,468 times
Haven't read the very long thread, but I'm sure the usual suspects are wailing and gnashing their teeth about something good that Trump did.

Old 12-20-2017, 04:51 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,660,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Pffft... It's the far-right who whines about everything, every day. Oh, no - gays are getting married, Muslims live in the neighborhood, I might not be able to buy another gun, and I have to pay mah taxes! Oh, the hardships of first-world life!

"Liberals" - which you can read as the majority of voters at this point who are against this tax plan - are smart enough to smell a fraud when they see one; heck, they were also smart enough not to vote for Trump.

This tax plan is just a pay-day loan scam, where you get "your money now!" with a big cost later. Or, think of it as simply deciding one month to start only make the minimum payment on your credit cards. Wow - look at all the money you saved! Until the bill comes due.
You have to hand it to this administration. They know the magic words to easily pacify and dupe their constituents. I'm shocked at how easily they buy into this stuff.

Believe me, I would enjoy *anything* I get from this temporary bump to the working people. But I'm not fool enough to think that this is a good thing for average people. If it was, these businesses would not be so thrilled. Promises, promises. I want to see how they play 2 years from now.

Old 12-20-2017, 04:57 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,034,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
You have to hand it to this administration. They know the magic words to easily pacify and dupe their constituents. I'm shocked at how easily they buy into this stuff.

Believe me, I would enjoy *anything* I get from this temporary bump to the working people. But I'm not fool enough to think that this is a good thing for average people. If it was, these businesses would not be so thrilled. Promises, promises. I want to see how they play 2 years from now.
Exactly. Now, don't get me wrong - I'll take the loot and run with it since, amusingly, it doesn't count legally as stolen property from the future. But I have wit enough not to vote for a crook like Trump just because he shows up and hands me a pile of cash.

Old 12-20-2017, 05:04 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Tossing an unexpected $1000 bone to unionized rank and file amounts to a . 48/ hr. pop.

A bonus is not the same thing as increasing wages. A bonus is discretionary and may be a one time event, whereas a raise is permanent. Labor relations with ATT have an incredible cost. Every time a strike is threathtened, it ends up costing ATT multiples of this total bonus.

I am genuinely happy for those who recieved this unexpected windfall.

Old 12-20-2017, 05:07 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,954,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Tossing an unexpected $1000 bone to unionized rank and file amounts to a . 48/ hr. pop.

A bonus is not the same thing as increasing wages. A bonus is discretionary and may be a one time event, whereas a raise is permanent. Labor relations with ATT have an incredible cost. Every time a strike is threathtened, it ends up costing ATT multiples of this total bonus.

I am genuinely happy for those who recieved this unexpected windfall.
Had the Democrats been in charge, there would have been no tax relief and additional significant tax foisted on everyone.

Old 12-20-2017, 05:17 PM

30,166 posts, read 11,795,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanst530 View Post
I am cautiously optimistic. The real test is going to be how long these companies will continue to reinvest/increase wages/hire more people before reverting back to their old ways again.

I think a lot of people (myself included) are skeptical that once the honeymoon period of tax cuts is over, companies will return to business-as-usual. I hope I am wrong.
What is business as usual? Several banks have already announced they are raising their minimum wages to $15 per hour today. Are they going to lower wages in a few months?

Regardless I would rather have the money in the private sector than in hands of the federal government. Today was a good day. Even if you are a democrat if you work for one of the companies that gave out bonuses or raised your wages.

Old 12-20-2017, 05:21 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,964,197 times
AT&T agreed to pay the union employees this bonus two months ago. It has absolutely nothing to do with the tax bill.

AT&T Makes 'Final' Contract Offer to 20,000 Wireless Workers

Old 12-20-2017, 05:24 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,260,559 times
Quote:
when tax bill is signed into law. The company also increased its capital expenditures budget by $1 billion in the U.S. Oops, there goes another liberal progressive meme.

Such losers. https://www.cnbc.com/2017/12/20/tax-...employees.html
Add Comcast to the list.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.4985aa1f32e3
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies