Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2017, 04:37 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,652,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
And they screwed the last nail to the coffin by electing a dotard to be our president. This generation will be the villains for future historians.

https://www.vox.com/platform/amp/201...-congress-debt

I'm not sorry or I'd elect him again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2017, 04:38 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Yep, a candidate that received more votes from the American public at large, not the tiny group of people who could be corralled and manipulated.

More people voted against Trump than voted for him per the electorate.

Go ahead and revel in the mess you helped create. You have political blood and feces on your hands...
It’s less of a mess today than it was a year ago.

Old 12-20-2017, 04:52 PM

6,472 posts, read 6,678,064 times
I don't make blanket insults against millennials (I raised 3 wonderful ones), and I don't care for having my entire generation attacked either. Perhaps OP can rephrase the question.

Edited to add: I just realized there was no actual question. Just an insulting comment.

Old 12-20-2017, 04:55 PM

5,654 posts, read 6,217,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
I don't make blanket insults against millennials (I raised 3 wonderful ones), and I don't care for having my entire generation attacked either. Perhaps OP can rephrase the question.
^^^^ This. If you disagree with Trump and his policies, why make it a generation war? I understand a higher percentage of boomers voted for Trump than millenials but blaming people of a particular generation when a large portion of them did not vote for Trump is divisive and counterproductive.

For the record I am a Gen Xer so don't have a horse in this race as strictly stated.

Old 12-20-2017, 04:58 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,961,631 times
Vox is part of the problem though. They pretend to be pro-worker social democrats, but love to stir divisive rhetoric among the 99% based on gender, religion, political orientation, race or age. Divide and rule. And when candidates that fight for the 99%, fight for the workers, the elderly, the disabled, the lower classes run for office, they decide to attack those candidates and support big money puppets instead.

Old 12-20-2017, 05:06 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,119,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Yep, a candidate that received more votes from the American public at large, not the tiny group of people who could be corralled and manipulated.

More people voted against Trump than voted for him per the electorate.

Go ahead and revel in the mess you helped create. You have political blood and feces on your hands...
Wow, the anger when you don't get your way!

Old 12-20-2017, 05:07 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,034,396 times
The OP's post is, by definition, an accurate statement simply because it is factually impossible based on timelines for Millennials to have "screwed up America."

No matter how much one whines about "Obama" - and most of that whining is just fact-free partisan nonsense with a thin veneer of racism on top - America's course to the current mess was set well before he was elected. And, during that time frame, the Boomers held by far the largest amount of power in the nation of any generation. So, yes - objectively, if you don't like the current situation, the Boomer generation - though obviously not all Boomers - is to blame. That is simply a historical fact.

Now, in my own experience, it is also painfully true. The worst right-wingers I've met are almost always Boomers, with occasional individuals of one of those "phantom" generations that came after the Boomers and before the Millennials. These types are the ones most likely to hold narrow, bigoted views, and have no problem expressing utterly disgusting ideas loudly in public. You know, the usual nonsense - casual use of the N-word, kill all the Muslims, punish all the F-words, etc.

These types I've met are also staggeringly ungrateful. The Boomer generation grew up with the most prosperity of any generation in American history - far more than their kids will have. And, yes, while not all Boomers benefited tremendously from this, the most ungrateful ones I've run into are, ironically, the ones who often did the best. There is NOTHING more pathetic than watching some right-wing Boomer spew venom and hatred about minorities, or how the company is "screwing him," or how "unfair" it is to pay taxes when in so many cases they: have a full pension, an absurdly salary for their out-dated skills and horrible attitude, and a plethora of expensive toys. All of this they've gained simply by being lucky as to when they were born - an age where almost anyone could get a decent job, and a college degree was a way to wealth. And yet these types are so blind to their fortune, ungrateful and full of spite, and grimly determined to destroy the future because of stupid, imagined slights only they can see.

Old 12-20-2017, 05:11 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
And they screwed the last nail to the coffin by electing a dotard to be our president. This generation will be the villains for future historians.

https://www.vox.com/platform/amp/201...-congress-debt
Looking at the boomers as an entire generation (not individuals), I sympathize with them to a small degree. They did get screwed by the WWII generation.

Unfortunately their response was to try and use government policy to impoverish future generations to the best of their abilities, and they've succeeded.

~10 years ago I heard someone say that Baby Boomers were conducting a "Going out of business sale" and trying to strip all the financial resources from the country before they died. I have yet to find a more accurate summary of their values and choices. I just hope the millenials don't turn out the same way.

Last edited by le roi; 12-20-2017 at 05:19 PM..

Old 12-20-2017, 05:13 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,768,718 times
Born on third base and thinks he hit a home run. Hates everything and everyone that isn't like him. Blames everyone else for his failures. Has been handed an obscene amount of money simply for being born, and thinks he's oppressed.

Yep, the Dotard is a perfect representative.

Old 12-20-2017, 05:17 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,910,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
The OP's post is, by definition, an accurate statement simply because it is factually impossible based on timelines for Millennials to have "screwed up America."

No matter how much one whines about "Obama" - and most of that whining is just fact-free partisan nonsense with a thin veneer of racism on top - America's course to the current mess was set well before he was elected. And, during that time frame, the Boomers held by far the largest amount of power in the nation of any generation. So, yes - objectively, if you don't like the current situation, the Boomer generation - though obviously not all Boomers - is to blame. That is simply a historical fact.

Now, in my own experience, it is also painfully true. The worst right-wingers I've met are almost always Boomers, with occasional individuals of one of those "phantom" generations that came after the Boomers and before the Millennials. These types are the ones most likely to hold narrow, bigoted views, and have no problem expressing utterly disgusting ideas loudly in public. You know, the usual nonsense - casual use of the N-word, kill all the Muslims, punish all the F-words, etc.

These types I've met are also staggeringly ungrateful. The Boomer generation grew up with the most prosperity of any generation in American history - far more than their kids will have. And, yes, while not all Boomers benefited tremendously from this, the most ungrateful ones I've run into are, ironically, the ones who often did the best. There is NOTHING more pathetic than watching some right-wing Boomer spew venom and hatred about minorities, or how the company is "screwing him," or how "unfair" it is to pay taxes when in so many cases they: have a full pension, an absurdly salary for their out-dated skills and horrible attitude, and a plethora of expensive toys. All of this they've gained simply by being lucky as to when they were born - an age where almost anyone could get a decent job, and a college degree was a way to wealth. And yet these types are so blind to their fortune, ungrateful and full of spite, and grimly determined to destroy the future because of stupid, imagined slights only they can see.
There is some truth here. It's literally impossible for the Millennials to have "screwed America".

One clarification, though, I wouldn't blame the Boomer Generation itself for this. Rather, just certain members of the generation and other generations. Put it another way, it is not the fault of a group of people made up of millions of people.

The current mess we find ourselves in has its origins many decades ago.

Last edited by HockeyMac18; 12-20-2017 at 05:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies