Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2017, 08:17 PM

39,861 posts, read 26,489,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
No. The Byrd Rule stipulates, among other things, that for a bill to pass throuugh the reconciliation process it cannot add to the deficit beyond 10 years. So knowing that they were not going to work with Democrats on the bill Republicans built in the sunset so that they could get the bill passed using a simple majority. It would still have been in there even if the Democrats supported the bill.
60 votes, as I stated, is more than a simple majority. If a handful of Democratic senators had done something for the American people, rather than simply trying to undercut Trump, this would have been permanent. But no-Dems put their temper tantrum above the American people.

Honestly though-do you really believe it won't be extended? Do you really think that Democrats will survive 2027 if they become known as the party responsible for one of the largest, if not THE largest, middle class tax increase in history?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2017, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
I would save under the new bill if I continue to rent. However, I am looking to purchase a home within the next couple of years and if I do so my taxes would be higher under the new plan.
Are you sure about that? Living on LI, I would guess you make a pretty decent income. Under this bill, even though you lose some tax and interest deductions, you also will pay a lower rate, not to mention a higher std deduction, and if you have kids a higher child tax credit. In addition, as perhaps an upper middle class income earner-you currently have to worry about the Alternative Minimum Tax hammering you. That risk goes way down.

Better question-if you lose your ability to write off the horribly excessive NYS property tax-will this cause you and others to go to your local taxing districts and demand that they reign in their spending? I left the state over twenty years ago-taxes were a large part of that. I paid more in property tax there, in 1993, on a place I sold for $70k than I pay today, in today's dollars, on my current place, at around 1/2 mil.

Old 12-20-2017, 08:27 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,854,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warm Squirt View Post
Income taxes should be 40%. Sales tax make 15%.

Universal healthcare and public universities should be free.
It's not free when you have to pay for it through higher taxes.

Old 12-20-2017, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
It's not free when you have to pay for it through higher taxes.
Liberals don't understand math. Or vocabulary, apparently.

They keep using that word, "free". I do not think they know what it means.

Old 12-20-2017, 08:53 PM

22,180 posts, read 19,452,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Are you sure about that? Living on LI, I would guess you make a pretty decent income. Under this bill, even though you lose some tax and interest deductions, you also will pay a lower rate, not to mention a higher std deduction, and if you have kids a higher child tax credit. In addition, as perhaps an upper middle class income earner-you currently have to worry about the Alternative Minimum Tax hammering you. That risk goes way down.

Better question-if you lose your ability to write off the horribly excessive NYS property tax-will this cause you and others to go to your local taxing districts and demand that they reign in their spending? I left the state over twenty years ago-taxes were a large part of that. I paid more in property tax there, in 1993, on a place I sold for $70k than I pay today, in today's dollars, on my current place, at around 1/2 mil.
I'm not married, in my 30's and do not have kids, rent and take the standard deduction

Under the current plan if I continue to rent, I would benefit from the lower rate and the higher standard deduction, although the amount I would benefit would diminish each year due to the change in the structure to how the brackets will increase.

However, with the SALT deduction capped at $10,000 and the loss of the personal exemption my taxable income would be a bit higher than the current plan, and the savings on the lower rate would not make up for the higher taxable income.

I do not make enough to be impacted by the AMT changes either way.

Old 12-20-2017, 08:57 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,526,497 times
Not a damn thing.

Old 12-20-2017, 08:59 PM

32,065 posts, read 15,046,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
The average family earning around $50K a year will see about $972 more in their pockets next year.

In 2027 they will pay more in taxes as will everyone else but the wealthy.

I would gladly give up a few hundred dollars if it meant I could count on Social Security and Medicare when I am older.

Oh, I'm with you.

Old 12-20-2017, 09:13 PM

32,065 posts, read 15,046,900 times
You guys are rejoicing about gaining a few thousands dollars a year, which doesn't amount to much in each paycheck. Yet the rich will gain hundreds of thousands if not millions of dollars by this tax plan which they don't even need. It's the middle class who needs the help not the rich. I feel like the GOP threw a dog bone to the middle class just to excite them.

Old 12-20-2017, 09:51 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,124,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
You guys are rejoicing about gaining a few thousands dollars a year, which doesn't amount to much in each paycheck. Yet the rich will gain hundreds of thousands if not millions of dollars by this tax plan which they don't even need. It's the middle class who needs the help not the rich. I feel like the GOP threw a dog bone to the middle class just to excite them.
But but, Gary Cohn said we can renovate our kitchen and buy a new car with the $1000 extra we're getting back! Yeah right Gary! Maybe if we "downsize" to 5 inches that $1000 can indeed buy us a kitchen renovation or new car.

"Economic advisor Gary Cohn said Thursday that an American family could save $1,000 under the Republicans' proposed tax reform plan, and it could use that money to pay for a new car or a kitchen.

"If we allow a family to keep another thousand dollars of their income, what does that mean? They can renovate their kitchen, they can buy a new car, they can take their family on vacation, they can increase their lifestyle," he said. "That's what our tax plan has to do.
""

And speaking of tax calculators, I like this one:

Use this calculator to see how the tax bill affects your paycheck - CNNPolitics

Old 12-20-2017, 09:58 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,818,000 times
If your argument is "a family that is pay check to pay check is only going to get a couple thousand dollars a year" you are losing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies