Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2017, 06:39 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
This is a Fox News calculator. Have to provide a more neutral one that take into account the cuts to Medicare
i'm not sure that's a tax issue
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2017, 06:41 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,563,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
This is completely disingenuous. The sunset was written in to the law itself so that the Republicans could pass it without Democratic votes. Even if it had passed unanimously the sunset would be in there. It was designed from the get-go to exclude bipartisan participation. Knowing this, they had to design it in a way that a simple majority would pass the bill.
Highlighted it for you.

Thanks to Democrats.

Old 12-20-2017, 06:50 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,563,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
No. The Byrd Rule stipulates, among other things, that for a bill to pass throuugh the reconciliation process it cannot add to the deficit beyond 10 years. So knowing that they were not going to work with Democrats on the bill Republicans built in the sunset so that they could get the bill passed using a simple majority. It would still have been in there even if the Democrats supported the bill.
They are not going to work with Democrats or the Democrats refuse to work with the Republicans?

You know the Democrats can still vote for the bill regardless, right?

Old 12-20-2017, 07:01 PM

7,168 posts, read 5,365,472 times
Heard Trump and Ryan touting how Americans in Feb will see the effects of the tax cuts on their pay check and how happy they will be. According to the calculator those earning 20,000 or less get $135 in savings, those making 22,000 get $215. Yep, Joe Warehouse will be doing donuts with his forklift when he looks at paycheck and there is a whopping $4 extra.

Even some posters were in the 2,000 range divided by 52 is what around 40 bucks big whoop. The {R}s will not get the adoration they think they have coming from the people but the rich and donors will love them and shower them with money.
I am for tax cuts but at least be truthful that millions and millions of workers those tax cuts do not mean squat

Old 12-20-2017, 07:07 PM

5,654 posts, read 6,217,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
They are not going to work with Democrats or the Democrats refuse to work with the Republicans?

You know the Democrats can still vote for the bill regardless, right?
From what I have read the Republicans developed this bill behind closed doors and rebuffed requests from Democrats to participate.

But I am trying to make a more simple point. Posters have implied that had 60+ Senators voted for the bill, the individual tax cuts would have been permanent. All I am pointing out is that this is not the case, so even had the Democrats voted for the bill as presented it would have included a subset, because it was built into the bill.

That is really my only point. Just to correct this because it is incorrect to stat that had Democrats voted for it the sunset would not have occurred because it was in the bill itself. I'm actually not making a political point, just a factual one.

Old 12-20-2017, 07:26 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,934,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingblade View Post
Heard Trump and Ryan touting how Americans in Feb will see the effects of the tax cuts on their pay check and how happy they will be. According to the calculator those earning 20,000 or less get $135 in savings, those making 22,000 get $215. Yep, Joe Warehouse will be doing donuts with his forklift when he looks at paycheck and there is a whopping $4 extra.

Even some posters were in the 2,000 range divided by 52 is what around 40 bucks big whoop. The {R}s will not get the adoration they think they have coming from the people but the rich and donors will love them and shower them with money.
I am for tax cuts but at least be truthful that millions and millions of workers those tax cuts do not mean squat
$215 is actually a good bit of money for someone making only ~$10/hour. Not life changing but certainly welcomed considering those people are likely barely making ends meet. They work about 22 hours to make that $215.

Old 12-20-2017, 07:29 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,946,279 times
Just from the rough estimate of the calculator, ill save several thousand.

Old 12-20-2017, 07:32 PM

34,053 posts, read 17,064,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
$215 is actually a good bit of money for someone making only ~$10/hour. Not life changing but certainly welcomed considering those people are likely barely making ends meet. They work about 22 hours to make that $215.
They work around 28 hours to net $215.

This is bigger for them, then anyone.

A wonderful Christmas gift.

Old 12-20-2017, 07:34 PM

4,663 posts, read 4,548,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Since there is no more AMT for 2019, having extra income doesn't kill you as it used to put certain people in a higher tax bracket and enforces certain tax rate.
No more AMT? Are you sure?

Are there any calculators that take pass-through income into account?

Old 12-20-2017, 07:39 PM

22,187 posts, read 19,462,661 times
I would save under the new bill if I continue to rent. However, I am looking to purchase a home within the next couple of years and if I do so my taxes would be higher under the new plan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies