Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2017, 09:49 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,986,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
I have been a loyal and passionate Republican for decades. Yet I HATE this tax bill that just passed....all for completely different reasons that the Democrats have for not liking it.

By far my #1 reason I am against it is it doubled the child tax credit to $2000. This makes me so furious I will probably never vote Republican again for the rest of my life.
I don't think the federal government should incentivize people to have children they can't afford. It's not a fairness issue to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2017, 09:50 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,663,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
I agree it’s pathetic how these Republicans did this all without one Democrats feedback. I wonder how they are going to feel if the Democrats pull the same crap. Look a Susan Collins, bob corker and Marco Rubio. All said they would vote NO until they got bribed somehow and voted Yes. It’s shameful how these Republicans are behaving. It’s like they don’t care about debt. I guess they already know they are all going to be thrown out next election. Trump has them all jumping and the ones who were against him at first are now kissing up to him. Just pathetic.....
Have you forgotten about Obama care and how that vote went? At least, hopefully those who supported the tax bill know what is in it. You know it is sad when someone makes a statement, with nothing to back it up about who will or will not be thrown out and when. There are comments made using facts and then ther are those made using a heart instead of a brain. libs do not all into the first statement.

Old 12-21-2017, 09:50 AM

32,084 posts, read 34,672,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I take the word "primary" to mean most.
Yes, "most" people drawing social security checks are Republican.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Depending on what poll you look at, Dems outnumber Reps by 9% in this country.
That's true. And that's because (1) younger voters skew more Democratic and (2) independent voters generally lean Republican, particularly older independent voters. Not sure if you've bothered to notice, but the GOP base is both older and Whiter than the Democratic base.

Old 12-21-2017, 09:57 AM

6,620 posts, read 5,005,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenjamin View Post
Kind of like Obamacare was forced down the people's throats while locking Republicans out of the debate? You recall correctly right? The bill where Nancy Pelosi (D) said "We had to pass the bill to see what was in it?"

And what is wrong with a tax break for the people who earn it? Having kids is a good thing. It is done to keep the species alive. We are an aging society and we need more children. And bringing in droves of people who can't speak the language via illegal immigration isn't the way to do it.

As for without one Democrat's feedback. LOL. They had all kinds of feedback from the party of NO (the democrats). They chose not to participate and did nothing but whine and stomp and act like little children.

And as for being a lifelong Republican, I seriously doubt the validity of that statement.

Every single one of your statements is nothing but falsehoods.
The ACA was negotiated for close to 18 months, there were several Republican amendments introduced during that time, the gop was running out the clock on the Democrat majority do at the end they had to rush it. This is a completely different scenario. Rest assure when the pendulum swings the other way, the Dems won't make that mistake again.

Old 12-21-2017, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Let's apply that to public assistance. Will we help you? Sure, but you have to trade work/labor for your and your dependents' benefits.
Republicans say this all the time.

https://www.nationalpriorities.org/b...-101/spending/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supple...stance_Program
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Section_8_(housing)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medicaid

How do you propose reducing the budget by (a) cutting all public assistance to poor people; (b) keeping entitlement (social security and medicare) spending at current levels; and (c) not raising taxes on anyone? What magic do you have in your bag to make this happen?

It's like Republicans want to completely ignore the fact we have roughly 70 million Americans on the verge of retirement who are about to start collecting SS and Medicare. That's going to have a much bigger impact on the budget than food stamps, but for some reason they seem laser-focused on programs that don't even cost that much in the grand scheme of the federal budget. It would be like opting to drop cable to reduce monthly costs as opposed to refinancing your mortgage.

Old 12-21-2017, 10:00 AM

5,993 posts, read 3,731,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
I have been a loyal and passionate Republican for decades. Yet I HATE this tax bill that just passed....all for completely different reasons that the Democrats have for not liking it.

By far my #1 reason I am against it is it doubled the child tax credit to $2000. This makes me so furious I will probably never vote Republican again for the rest of my life. It is extremely unfair to the childless or those with adult children. Let's say you have two relatively low paid workers..a childless person and a woman with 3 illegitimate kids. The mother will get $6000 which is between 3 months and a half a years worth of pay for a low paid worker. This is outrageous. If someone has kids great but they should pay everything...not the taxpayer.

Another reason I HATE this tax plan is it will add to to our already obscene national debt. It seems Republicans have completely given up on cutting spending. They don't want to come across as mean. Well running up our debt is mean because it is not sustainable and will eventually cause the collapse of our country. The #1 reason I have voted Republican all my life is I want draconian cuts in the social safety net for young able bodied people. But Republicans absolutely refuse to do this. If they are going to cut any program it will be Social security and Medicare.. which older people who are descriminated against in the workforce are dependent on for survival. Ironically Reps want to give welfare through the tax code to young people having lots of children but cut social services to old people which is by far their biggest voting block. Talk about biting the hand that feeds you.

Another reason I am against the tax bill is that the corporate tax cuts will not lead to more hiring. I would have been enthusiastic if the bill rewarded companies with big tax breaks if (and only if) they create X amount of new American jobs. But there is nothing like this so instead most of the extra money will go to shareholders. Which leads me to another problem I have. One of the top reasons I voted for Trump is I wanted the stock market (and housing) bubbles to pop. This would cause some well needed price deflation and ease costs for the Trump voting base. Instead to my horror...the stock market is going through the roof which is mainly benefiting Hillary Clinton voting elitists.

So for these and other reasons I can no longer vote Republican. But as you can tell reading my opinions there is no home for me in the Democrat party either. So now my choices are to throw away my vote on some fringe third party or not vote at all.

Even if I disagree with Democrats on just about everything I appreciate their voices against the tax plan...so much so that I am cheering for them to take over the House and Senate. If they run a populist Bernie Sanders type in 2020 I might even consider voting Democrat for the first time. If they run anyone corporate/mainstream/third way or neolib I won't vote for them, especially if I hear the word "Russia" one time from them. This is unlikely so fringe party or not voting looks to be my future.
So you are finally waking up to the true face of the current administration. You join millions of fellow Americans who are doing the same. Welcome!

Old 12-21-2017, 10:05 AM

Yep. Cutting food stamps is really taking a big step towards addressing this looming crisis.

Quote:
Retirement of the Baby Boom generation—which by 2030 is projected to increase enrollment to more than 80 million as the number of workers per enrollee declines from 3.7 to 2.4—and rising overall health care costs pose substantial financial challenges to the program. Medicare spending is projected to increase from $523 billion in 2010 to just over $1 trillion by 2022. Baby-boomers' health is also an important factor: 20% have five or more chronic conditions, which will add to the future cost of health care.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medicare_(United_States)

Old 12-21-2017, 10:06 AM

88,964 posts, read 44,771,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I don't think the federal government should incentivize people to have children they can't afford. It's not a fairness issue to me.
I completely agree.

Old 12-21-2017, 10:18 AM

88,964 posts, read 44,771,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Republicans say this all the time.

https://www.nationalpriorities.org/b...-101/spending/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supple...stance_Program
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Section_8_(housing)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medicaid

How do you propose reducing the budget by (a) cutting all public assistance to poor people; (b) keeping entitlement (social security and medicare)
SS and Medicare aren't entitlements. They're prepaid benefits. And Medicare has premiums, deductibles, copays, and doesn't cover everything. Seniors have to buy a supplemental policy. That's ALL $ taken OUT of their SS check.

Quote:
It's like Republicans want to completely ignore the fact we have roughly 70 million Americans on the verge of retirement who are about to start collecting SS and Medicare. That's going to have a much bigger impact on the budget than food stamps
There is NO prepay requirement for food stamp eligibility. There IS a requirement that SS and Medicare benefits eligibility MUST be prepaid. And on top of that, like I said, Medicare has premiums, deductibles, copays, and doesn't cover everything. Seniors have to buy a supplemental policy. That's ALL $ taken OUT of their SS check.

HOW does anyone NOT know that?

How about Medicaid charges premiums. deductibles, copays, and doesn't cover everything so supplemental insurance must be purchased. Even if ALL of that were added, Medicaid recipients would STILL have gotten out of prepaying decades worth of Medicaid tax to be eligible for benefits because there is no such requirement. Medicaid is ALL free, free, free.

Old 12-21-2017, 10:22 AM

2,951 posts, read 2,516,043 times
Family of independents here. Dumped the tribes years ago. Welcome back to sanity. Tribes should be saved for pro teams. When did this country get so stupid as to think politics should be like sports. When Faux news came out?

Its very freeing, try it. We don't get hassled with phone calls begging for money. We don't have to defend a total loser like Moore. Frankly speaking of him, when I heard one of his tribeman saying she'd believe Trump over Jesus Christ himself. *SCREAMS* The Book of Revelations predicts this.

I'm 60, never remembered this kind of insanity we are going through now as far as politics goes. Remember Gary Hart, he cheated on his wife and was disgraced. Now along comes Moore who goes way beyond Hart's sins and he still is in the race. No wonder the world is laughing at us.

Never felt homeless as there are more things in life to identify yourself as. We think of ourselves as intelligent voters who do what is best for the country. Not just us. Its not about us getting everything we want. Yeah, we lack the greedy gene.

Like my CPA says, how long will this bill last. One presidency or less. Its so bad over all people will run on their campaings on getting rid of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies