Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2017, 07:48 AM

45,541 posts, read 27,152,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
Nothing sadder than the oligarchs convincing you working saps that you should pay income taxes, but their kids shouldn't...
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlongTheI-5 View Post
Stupid sheep love the increasing gap between the elite and the rest of us. They love being trickled down upon as they get fleeced. Waterproof shears.
There's a right way to do things that ALL should abide by.

Your viewpoint is the typical whiny "it's not fair" viewpoint. It's a bunch of envy.

There should be a consistency of principle to the point where if you or I get to the point in life where the death tax is applicable - nothing should change.

In other words - you guys are salty because they get an advantage that you don't get. If you ever move into their status and the death tax is now applicable, you would change your tune so quick that your head would spin. You would want to keep as much as you could.

Don't let envy be your guide. Support what's right.

Last edited by DRob4JC; 12-21-2017 at 08:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2017, 07:50 AM

17,338 posts, read 11,262,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Quite the contrary.A business value is measured by many things like assets accumulated over decades, hard work etc. If it's worth millions that does not mean the owner is making millions. Heirs can find themselves selling off assets to pay taxes. Setting aside the complete absurdity of that it's not very good for business.

Repealing this not only helps insure those business's continue to operate but it also provides an incentive to invest more in them. More investment in business, more jobs.
It also applies to small farms where the tax has previously made it infeasible for parents/grandparents to leave farms to their children and grandchildren.

Old 12-21-2017, 08:02 AM

6,380 posts, read 6,270,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Quite the contrary.A business value is measured by many things like assets accumulated over decades, hard work etc. If it's worth millions that does not mean the owner is making millions. Heirs can find themselves selling off assets to pay taxes. Setting aside the complete absurdity of that it's not very good for business.

Repealing this not only helps insure those business's continue to operate but it also provides an incentive to invest more in them. More investment in business, more jobs.

Ah..... the old “money equals jobs” trickle down fallacy. Now where can we find statistical evidence for this again? Oh right. Haha. Does not exist.

Oh, CD, how you can still amuse me....

Old 12-21-2017, 08:10 AM

9,701 posts, read 5,109,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post

In other words - you guys are salty because they get an advantage that you don't get.
Yeah... It's called the I DON'T PAY INCOME TAX advantage. I'd love to be excused from paying my income taxes b/c some saps in the Boonies think I deserve my money more than they deserve theirs, but alas I don't have the lobbying resources to convince people to make dumb choices.

Old 12-21-2017, 08:13 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,073,295 times
I never liked the death tax. It's double taxation.

The real issues here is that the USG needs to reign in spending and live within their budget.
Instead of "let's spend and worry about how to cover it later" they need to "how much do we have and how to spend it".

Old 12-21-2017, 08:15 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,844,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
That’s just really not the case. Closely held businesses and farms have additional exemptions beyond the 5.49 million.
Donald Trump's Pants on Fire claim about the estate tax, small businesses and farms | PolitiFact
Did you read the article? Apparently not... there are NO additional exemptions... their opinion is actually flawed and retarded... politifact should call the themselves politiliars.... that will be the last time I read that website...

Old 12-21-2017, 08:19 AM

9,701 posts, read 5,109,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycaller23 View Post

The real issues here is that the USG needs to reign in spending and live within their budget.
Instead of "let's spend and worry about how to cover it later" they need to "how much do we have and how to spend it".
Bill Gates' son is a self-employed CPA, for discussion's sake. Bill Gates goe to him to file his 2017 taxes and pays him $10B for his services. Should Bill Gates Jr., CPA pay any taxes on that $10B he earned from his father?

Last edited by EddieB.Good; 12-21-2017 at 08:29 AM..

Old 12-21-2017, 08:29 AM

6,620 posts, read 5,006,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Did you read the article? Apparently not... there are NO additional exemptions... their opinion is actually flawed and retarded... politifact should call the themselves politiliars.... that will be the last time I read that website...
For 2017, the Tax Policy Center estimated, based on past tax data and modeling, that 11,310 individuals will have estates big enough to file an estate tax return. "After allowing for deductions and credits, 5,460 estates will owe tax," the center concluded. "Over two-thirds of these taxable estates will come from the top 10 percent of income earners and close to one-fourth will come from the top 1 percent alone."

If it only applies to 5460 estates, how does it save millions of farmers and small business owners? I know who is that 5460 and his initials are DJT.

Its ok the bill passed thats part one, now come the entitlement reforms, this tax reform is basically a poison pill that is going to force the goverment to reduce expenditures thats the theory behind it, I am for it, I am 100% convinced that this is what it takes, once the people who are failing in this economy and blame the entitlements, the undocumented workers, everything but themselves once they dont have anyone to blame but themselves then we can come back to the table meanwhile I am going to increase my 401k contributions see about this tax break and wait it out.

Old 12-21-2017, 08:31 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,073,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
Bill Gates' son is a self-employed CPA, for discussion's sake. Bill Gates goe to him to file his 2017 taxes and pays him $10B for his services. Should Bill Gates Jr., CPA pay any taxes on that $10B he earned from his father?
How is the above related to the death tax ?

That $10B you noted above would be income, not inheritance.

Old 12-21-2017, 08:32 AM

6,620 posts, read 5,006,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycaller23 View Post

I know how much you guys like to compare the economy to a household, all i kept hearing for 8 years is "if you make $100 then you cant spend $500" well if you want to cut your spending you dont quit your job right? that would be stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies