Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2017, 10:49 AM

36,514 posts, read 30,847,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecking ball View Post
meh. poor judgement call IMO but nothing to get bent out of shape about. from my experience with my daughter it was pretty much a 50/50 split over belief/non-belief in santa by 3rd grade.

..... i prefer to tell small children that krampus is real.
LOL. I am wearing my Krampus T-shirt today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2017, 10:54 AM

14,481 posts, read 11,278,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
Public schools teach that Zeus is a myth, why not teach that Santa and Jesus are as well?
And what subject in a third grade classroom covers this??

Old 12-21-2017, 10:55 AM

693 posts, read 356,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
are you serious and do you have any kids? Teachers have no place pushing personal views on anyone or even letting their students know what their views and to tell an 8 year old that something so special and fun is a myth is sick. I do not want teachers teaching religion, sex education (except in certain classes) homosexual subjects, or giving advise on stories like Santa Claus is real Virginia. These should always be left to the parents. What harm is there in an 8 year old believing a magical story about a wonderful man that brings us gifts once a year.
That's not a personal view. There is no Santa dropping gifts on christmas day. That is a FACT.

Teachers have EVER place to teach facts in public schools, and ZERO place to push fairy tales.

Old 12-21-2017, 10:56 AM

39,221 posts, read 27,592,812 times
I don't think it is an issue of conservatives vs liberals. Different people (families) handle the situation differently. I know both liberals and conservatives telling their children about Santa stories. So it really is an individual choice/decision.

This said, Children are influenced by what they see and hear around them. They get very excited about characters in their life that have special meaning for them.

If you insist on telling your children that santa isn't real because you want to be honest about it, let me ask you this, do you tell your 3 year old that cartoon character cats and dogs don't really talk? Do you tell your 4 year old that mickey mouse is not real either? come on now. Why reading fairy tales to your children at bed time? Or you just all of sudden choose to be honest about a fantasy character simply because it has something to do with the Christmas tradition?

Fantasy books and characters like Santa do engage the imagination,Children learn at some point what’s make-believe and not. That’s the fun of life. It makes us see different personalities.

I've always been told there was a Santa, but later on, I figured out Santa is just a holiday character, a part of Christmas tradition, my parents and grandparents love is real. As an adult, I don't hold on to the fantasy that Santa is real, but I certainly enjoyed my childhood with Santa every single year. I say let children be children.

This public school teacher is not wrong for telling HER/HIS children about Santa, but she/he crossed the boundaries with other children and parents. She/he was out of line.

My nephews and my Godson (6 years old) figured out Santa wasn't real when they were 4 or 5. They still love Santa. It is just a Christmas tradition they like. More like Turkey for thanksgiving. It is just a tradition they enjoy.

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 12-21-2017 at 11:11 AM..

Old 12-21-2017, 10:59 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,645,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtrucks View Post
I'll bet you the best steak house dinner that the teacher was your typically leftwing hating feminist.
I disagree. the teacher is probably a 'good Christian'.

one of those "my way or the highway" types.

probably thought she was doing missionary work!

Old 12-21-2017, 11:00 AM

23,971 posts, read 15,075,178 times
The sub was off base. The sub did not know any of the kids, what they knew and what they didn't know. IMO, it was none of her business to be discussing Santa at all. That is a family matter.

After spending a year daily driving 1/2 mile out of the way so my young kids would not see life size posters of scantily clad females, it dawned on me that I could not protect them from the world. But I could tell them what I thought about it.

The bus lady told the whole school bus about Bill, Monica and blow jobs. Try explaining that to an 8 year old who would not let anything go until he totally got it.

I'd bet the rent money that the kid already knew about Santa. Kids talk in the line, on the bus and on the playground.

Last edited by crone; 12-21-2017 at 11:02 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 12-21-2017, 11:02 AM

15,631 posts, read 10,386,562 times
I think a teacher who spoils santa clause for a young child is mean, at best, and possibly even sinister.

Old 12-21-2017, 11:06 AM

2,053 posts, read 1,527,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
I think a teacher who spoils santa clause for a young child is mean, at best, and possibly even sinister.
So what do you think of the other kids that tell a young child that Santa isn't real? Are they sinister as well?

Old 12-21-2017, 11:08 AM

39,221 posts, read 27,592,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
of course it is a fact but it is also a magical time for families, mom and dads as well as the kids. If, for whatever reason a family does not want their kids to believe in Santa that is their choice, but my point though I guess I didn't put it correctly was the teacher was out of place. She really had no business saying anything. If some child has asked her she should have said, gee I just don't really know. Ask you mommy and daddy or something similar. I don't remember, from seeing the video that any of the kids asked her about Santa.
***** This

Old 12-21-2017, 11:08 AM

23,971 posts, read 15,075,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
I was think the same thing. That's plain ol downright cruel. Or mean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies