Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2017, 06:47 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,878,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
Getting rid of employees at the front door will not solve the problem. Pay them a good wage where they have pride in what they do.

But the family has already announced their plan to put their tax cut into stock buybacks.
LOL you said that with a straight face right? I love good humor.
Ok I will play.. How much should a cashier be paid? How much skill is required?
How much should a shelf stocker be paid? What is the specialized skill?
I think the $12 an hour that is paid at the Wally World near me is fair. No brains, skills or talents required.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2017, 06:47 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,922,180 times
Quote:
Getting rid of employees at the front door will not solve the problem. Pay them a good wage where they have pride in what they do.

But the family has already announced their plan to put their tax cut into stock buybacks.
What is a "good wage"? All those unionized stores that paid good wages to long term employees are mostly all gone now. I knew a guy who was making 60k a year stocking shelves at a now defunct local grocery chain. That can't be sustainable....

Old 12-22-2017, 06:54 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
My local Costco had four self serve checkouts for about a year. I'm not sure why, but the self serve checkouts were closed down several months ago. either customers didn't like using them or management didn't find them useful to their business.
Costco eliminated Self Check- out in 2013 and did so for 2 reasons, loss prevention and efficiency.

Their Cashiers were able to move purchases faster than Consumers doing the self checkout thing.

Walmart is investing in newer technology that will read your cart and charge your credit card.

Walmart has been the largest US employer for more than 30 years. Most employees are Low wage, in store.

When the technology is perfected, Walmart will be in a position to slash its Payroll, Payroll taxes, benefits, Worker's Comp, employee and consumer loss prevention. This will enable them to increase shareholder value.

The US is the third most populous country in the world and a substantial percentage of its working population is low skill. This was true 100 years ago and will remain true, going forward.

50-75 years ago a man could make enough to buy a modest home and support a family on his wage earned from pushing elevator buttons. His retirement was reasonably secure given he had a pension and the baby boom would fund Social Security and Medicare.

It was a swell deal for a blip in time.

Old 12-22-2017, 06:57 AM

16,759 posts, read 8,211,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
What is a "good wage"? All those unionized stores that paid good wages to long term employees are mostly all gone now. I knew a guy who was making 60k a year stocking shelves at a now defunct local grocery chain. That can't be sustainable....
Depends on where you live grocery unions still strong and are in business. Chains like Sears used to pay at great rates. Commission's on sales in some dept.

Old 12-22-2017, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Costco eliminated Self Check- out in 2013 and did so for 2 reasons, loss prevention and efficiency.

Their Cashiers were able to move purchases faster than Consumers doing the self checkout thing.

Walmart is investing in newer technology that will read your cart and charge your credit card.

Walmart has been the largest US employer for more than 30 years. Most employees are Low wage, in store.

When the technology is perfected, Walmart will be in a position to slash its Payroll, Payroll taxes, benefits, Worker's Comp, employee and consumer loss prevention. This will enable them to increase shareholder value.

The US is the third most populous country in the world and a substantial percentage of its working population is low skill. This was true 100 years ago and will remain true, going forward.

50-75 years ago a man could make enough to buy a modest home and support a family on his wage earned from pushing elevator buttons. His retirement was reasonably secure given he had a pension and the baby boom would fund Social Security and Medicare.

It was a swell deal for a blip in time.
Costco pays a higher wage to its store personal then most of the others.

Old 12-22-2017, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Depends on where you live grocery unions still strong and are in business. Chains like Sears used to pay at great rates. Commission's on sales in some dept.

All the union chains pulled out of my state because they could not compete with the non-union chains which pay next to nothing. You can't survive paying a shelf stocker 60k a year when the other chain pays minimum wage without a series price hike.

Old 12-22-2017, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Costco pays a higher wage to its store personal then most of the others.
They can do that because of their high membership fees, and the warehouse style retailing allows them to have far fewer employees per area of the store compared to wallyworld. And it also helps that the stores are located primarily in affluent areas with a corresponding customer.

Face it, a lot of Walmarts are located in the ghetto where people even steal the toilet paper in the rest room.

Old 12-22-2017, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
LOL you said that with a straight face right? I love good humor.
Ok I will play.. How much should a cashier be paid? How much skill is required?
How much should a shelf stocker be paid? What is the specialized skill?
I think the $12 an hour that is paid at the Wally World near me is fair. No brains, skills or talents required.
Costco is a good example. Higher wages people care more and are more productive.

I enjoyed making deliveries to Costco, employees were nicer worked faster and you got in and out on time.
Walmart, Sam's most times a horror show, hated what they were doing complained and worked slower and did not care.

Old 12-22-2017, 07:06 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,658,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
https://www.axios.com/walmart-planni...518925675.html

https://www.recode.net/2017/12/20/16...checkout-store

I think its a good thing if it keeps prices down. Amazing technology as you leave the store you are instantly charged for all the items.
Not ,new .If you think it will keep price's down you're nuts.

Old 12-22-2017, 07:07 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,878,006 times
Quote:
Costco is a good example. Higher wages people care more and are more productive.

I enjoyed making deliveries to Costco, employees were nicer worked faster and you got in and out on time.
Walmart, Sam's most times a horror show, hated what they were doing complained and worked slower and did not care.
To be honest I have never shopped in a Costco. There just aren't any near me. I would love an alternative to Walmart..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies