Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2017, 08:18 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,658,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Our Sams Club just added 6 new self checkout lines last week. Those machines are always busy and the only time a long line happens is when some ignorant person can't figure out "swipe,scan,insert card,push credit/debit." then grab receipt.

It usually fails at the "insert card and press type of payment" screen. We've all seen those people, the ones that have to hand over their credit card to the checker because the reader and 2-3 choices confuses them...
"self checkout", why? Does the company give you a discount for doing their work for them?I don't get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2017, 08:27 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,005,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
The Walton family needs more money. They don’t want to pay well anyway. This along with the windfall they will get from the new tax plan should make their family very happy this Christmas.
Really? What do you consider "pay well"? Before you reply remember, depending on the specific job at the store you are speaking about mostly uneducated people doing something that most 12 year olds could do with minimal training...

Old 12-22-2017, 08:29 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Supermarkets in the UK already have some self service tills, which most people use to buy small or medium amounts of shopping, however for large amounts of shopping purchases it's much easier having the help off a cashier, and this is especially the case in relation to the elderly, disabled, people looking after children etc.

I can't see Americans liking this, as Americans generally expect good customer service and even their bags packed for them, and they don't expect to have to scan and pack everything themselves. Furthermore rural Americans often purchase large amounts of goods as they often have to travel further to get to the shops, and I can't see this being popular with such customers.
There is room for niche grocers. Heinen's, based in Ohio expanded to cherry- picked Chicago metro. Every week, there are some terrific sales to pull people into " the experience" which includes a wine/ beer bar and samplings. Very common to see shoppers sipping and shopping. Service is knowledgable, respectful and exceptional.

The prices of prepared foods and prime meats/ seafood trends otherworldly. After 2 glasses of wine, most don't seem to mind the prices. It's all about the experience. Can't imagine this place ever going self serve.

They know their target market, well and deliver.

Old 12-22-2017, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
"self checkout", why? Does the company give you a discount for doing their work for them?I don't get it.
Yep, I get the heck out faster than if I stood in a long line listening to the useless babble between the clerk and each customer not to mention choking on everyones damn perfume/cologne that they must take a bath in before shopping.
Time is money right?

Old 12-22-2017, 08:38 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
How do you teach someone with ADD, ADHD and BiPolar and ever disorder that is caused by prenatal drug use along with an IQ around 80 a real job? Just look at the cashiers they have now, what jobs will they be suited for?
Your remarks will not likely be appreciated by those with " special needs" or their parents, most of whom who did not use drugs.

The Federal Government has long partially reimbursed employers of disabled people. Some employers take advantage of this opportunity and some do not. They tend to be employed as baggers, not cashiers in grocery stores.

Old 12-22-2017, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
Neither Walmart nor Amazon treats their people especially well. During the holiday rush Amazon is much worse. Both have a goal of eliminating as many workers as possible in the future. So not only do they treat their workers poorly their long term goal is to fire them.

https://nypost.com/2017/11/28/amazon...hristmas-rush/

But Amazon is based in Seattle and has a liberal leader. Walmart is based in Arkansas and has a conservative family at the helm. So because of that the left has a fondness for Amazon and a disdain for Walmart.
Well, to be honest WalMart had/has earned it's reputation years ago. They used to do things like sending black wreaths and/or flower bouquets to competitors signaling their death when a new store was built. They used to do everything they could to completely destroy their competition before,during and after a new store was built up to and including dropping their prices to cost or less until a competitor was run off so it's not like WalMart has been totally innocent over the years.

I don't believe they've pulled those stunts for some years now but the fact that they did really stuck in the minds of those who were around when they did.

Old 12-22-2017, 08:44 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,050,932 times
Wouldn't be surprised to see other stores follow suit before long.

Old 12-22-2017, 08:46 AM

8,166 posts, read 8,523,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
I will use the "self checkout" lines at any store when they give a 10% discount for doing so.
A local grocery chain tried installing a "self checkout" lane. It lasted about 6 months, then they took it out.<>
Bought gasoline or diesel lately? I haven't used a gas jockey since the last time I was in New Jersey.
Harris Teeter and Home Depot have self check lines I use all the time. Their human operators don't recognize their own products, but the scanner does. One trick is to be sure to select parts with good barcodes.

Old 12-22-2017, 08:47 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,808,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Oh Please with the drama.
This has been coming for years since self checkouts were first started. The delay has most likely been due to software and getting the system to work better. The vast majority of Walmart employees are not cashiers. As evidenced on any Friday, Saturday or Sunday as the lines are a mile long waiting for the 3 or 4 cashiers.
You think the lines at Walmart are long with real cashiers, wait until you get behind a few elderly with carts full using the automated system!

Old 12-22-2017, 08:49 AM

24,404 posts, read 23,056,554 times
I was watching a Youtube video of a couple who were at a self checkout in a Wal mart and were maybe ringing up 1/3 of their items and the rest they were just placing in bags. How is that supposed to reduce prices when people will just continue to steal? They need two 200 pound guys at the doors ready to beat a shoplifter unconscious if they try to leave without paying. Brig a backpack or a large shoulder bag into the store, you either turn around and put it in your car or you don't come in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies