Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2017, 05:16 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,743,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
My answer is that it is constitutional. There is no reason to think otherwise.

And you have not shown that there is any reason to think otherwise.

Not if it's federally protected.

I'm quite sure that the city of Washington, D.C., does not have the right to take down the Washington Monument.

The angry bed wetting is by people who can't let go of the past and want to re-fight the Civil War even though their side won.
Which of the town statues under discussion are federally protected?

No, the citizens of Washington DC do not have the power to take down federal statues. Obviously. Why? Because they don't own them. Congress does.

But Washington DC can take down statues that it owns.

It isn't me who is so blinded by emotion that I am turning myself into a pretzel to avoid admitting the obvious here - that a town that owns a statue placed on town-owned land has the right to take it down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2017, 05:23 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,434,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Which of the town statues under discussion are federally protected?

No, the citizens of Washington DC do not have the power to take down federal statues. Obviously. Why? Because they don't own them. Congress does.

But Washington DC can take down statues that it owns.

It isn't me who is so blinded by emotion that I am turning myself into a pretzel to avoid admitting the obvious here - that a town that owns a statue placed on town-owned land has the right to take it down.
Not if it's federally protected they don't.

And there is no constitutional reason why a statue couldn't be federally protected as historically significant. Regardless of who owns it.

Old 12-24-2017, 05:35 AM

73,007 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Use your imagination, I am sure you will figure it out.
No. How about you get straight to the point and say what you really mean instead of asking me to "use my imagination". In my case, I get to the point and say what I mean. How about you do the same.

Old 12-24-2017, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Not if it's federally protected they don't.

And there is no constitutional reason why a statue couldn't be federally protected as historically significant. Regardless of who owns it.
You're deflecting again. We're not talking about federally-protected statues. We're talking about town-owned statues placed on town-owned land.

Please tell me which of the statues that have been taken down were/are federally-protected. Thank you.

Old 12-24-2017, 06:20 AM

Quote:
You're deflecting again. We're not talking about federally-protected statues. We're talking about town-owned statues placed on town-owned land.

Please tell me which of the statues that have been taken down were/are federally-protected. Thank you.
I have been proposing that they be federally protected, not saying that they are federally protected.

But you already knew that.

Are you going to keep on with this?

You aren't getting anywhere.

Old 12-24-2017, 06:21 AM

459 posts, read 375,872 times
It's amazing how crappy he was compared to Trump

Old 12-24-2017, 06:24 AM

Quote:
I have been proposing that they be federally protected, not saying that they are federally protected.

But you already knew that.

Are you going to keep on with this?

You aren't getting anywhere.
Neither are you.

The fact remains that a town has the right to take down a statue that it owns. And even if you managed to get federal protection for all commemorative statues in the country, regardless of who owns them, that will not affect the statues that have already been taken down.

Please let us know when your bill is introduced and who is sponsoring it. I for one would be genuinely interested to see how it's drafted.

Old 12-24-2017, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Neither are you.

The fact remains that a town has the right to take down a statue that it own[s.

Quote:
And even if you managed to get federal protection for all commemorative statues in the country, regardless of who owns them, that will not affect the statues that have already been taken down.
There is no reason why they couldn't be protected as well, and put back up.

Old 12-24-2017, 06:28 AM

Quote:
IF.

Quote:
There is no reason why they couldn't be protected as well, and put back where they were before.
A retroactive law? That would also be breaking new ground.

Old 12-24-2017, 06:33 AM

Quote:
IF.

A retroactive law? That would also be breaking new ground.
No reason it couldn't happen.

Whether it will or not remains to be seen.

I hope it does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies