Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2017, 03:40 PM

12,039 posts, read 6,570,692 times

Advertisements

Are they doing this with iPads also?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2017, 04:39 PM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
Are they doing this with iPads also?
I had an Ipad become slow enough to be useless after installing an Apple virus

Old 12-21-2017, 05:23 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,456,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtrucks View Post
Interesting...

(I've always suspected this kind of thing with Gillette razors in the past...did you ever notice how older model blades seemed duller than before when new models came out? I figured they were changing the steel or something to get folks to upgrade.) And some would say something silly like "your beard got used to the other blades"...dumb.

Apple battery throttling gives customers a reason to distrust it - Business Insider
This is really a typical ploy for Apple, they are manipulative of their customers and their retailers. But I am surprised at the scale of this nonetheless.

Old 12-21-2017, 06:19 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,016,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Or just replace the battery. I can see both sides of this, the apple folks are trying to avoid phones suddenly resetting with 40% power left, but its pretty clear that there are better ways of doing this. For example if the phone IS in fact having battery power issues, the slowdown could occur at 41% of power, and could warn a user that performance is being affected by battery age.

etc etc.

Basically it seems to me that apple choose to mislead people into buying a new phone rather then fixing a battery issue.

I found out that Apple and now Samsung have made their phones so you cannot change the battery........you need to buy a new phone........

Old 12-21-2017, 06:32 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,587,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Im not saying its noble, im saying if you have ever owned an apple product, you know that after 2 or 3 years, they stop supporting updates on older devices and its operating systems.

I have the 1st generation ipod touch, I use it just for music because 90% of the apps no longer work(unsupported).

Apple also states in most of those updates that older systems cant handle the usage capacity.

So they openly tell you that updates will hurt your older model phones and devices, they just use different words like

" this update is incapable with your device, would you like to proceed anyways"
Windows is starting to really pull the same crap.

Old 12-21-2017, 06:37 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,587,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
I think they've really shot themselves in the foot.
I don't know, if helping protect the phone of a terrorist from the government, attacking religious freedom bills and good bathroom bills wherever they appear throughout the country, exploiting kids via Common Core, using child slave labor to make their products, donating to the radical Southern Poverty Law Center, and supporting illegal immigration and DACA hasn't turned the country against them, I'm skeptical something this small will. (I feel the same way about Disney.) To quote Donald Trump, these companies could shoot a million people on Fifth Avenue and millions would still buy their products.

Old 12-21-2017, 09:15 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,591,580 times
This is why I never discount a good CT.

Old 12-21-2017, 09:32 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,590,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
This happened recently with the wife's iPhone. She no longer has an iPhone and never will again. We got our phones at the same time almost three years ago.

She decided to try an iPhone. The recent update made it so that the battery life was horrible. I've not noticed any loss of battery performance.

It will have been her first and last.
Many companies play dirty tricks on their customers like this. When I recently had to do a reinstallation of my Windows 10 OS, Microsoft slipped into my 2nd internal hard drive and disabled my old Vista OS, which I still used for things that Win 10 won't do. Like for example, allow me to use Google Earth to open file attachments for use on Google Earth (the only way).

Old 12-22-2017, 01:54 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,275,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Not just iPhones but iPads as well... Microsoft and MANY companies do it... they do it via invisible updates that you cannot stop (unless it’s not connected to the internet)... Samsung has NOT done it but they eventually will... when your electronics slows down for no reason, you been hit... they are getting better at it... factory reset usually does the trick but not anymore...
There's no business benefit to Microsoft to do this. 99% of MS Software runs on commodity hardware not MS Hardware, forcing their user to transition to newer hardware would potentially result in a customer loss (they switch to say Apple or *nix) Windows is now licensed to the user not the hardware. Apple runs proprietary software on proprietary hardware that they get profit from both the SW license and hardware sale.

Further Windows would rely on a battery/charging driver provided by the battery/charging component manufacturer, what profit motive would there be to sabotage their own driver considering those same components may be in thousands of different laptops or devices from 10 years old to 10 minutes old. The driver won't know it's in a brand new Alienware or a 10 year old HP, so it's going to nerf the battery on both.

The issue is Apple is a vertical so it can nerf hardware with OS updates, there's little Android or Windows in full stacks that compares (Xbox for MS is a full stack, but, that's a different business model anyway, game consoles are loss leaders for a couple of years post release). The fact that they do nerf hardware is the issue, it's certainly a predatory business practice that to be honest would have people wild eyed and foaming if anyone else admitted to doing.

Old 12-22-2017, 01:48 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
This was inevitable.

Apple sued after it admits to slowing down older iPhones

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/12/22/appl...r-iphones.html

Apple execs had to know this was a bad idea but the demand to create ever increasing growing returns on Wall Street causes people to go to extreme's to get them.

It's unsustainable. I can see a class action coming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies