Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2017, 10:34 AM

6,927 posts, read 6,938,652 times

Advertisements

https://www.thedailybeast.com/93-day...power?ref=home

Quote:
MOROVIS, Puerto Rico—The loud buzzing of portable gasoline electric generators has become the norm in this central mountainous region of the battered territory.

It’s been that way for more than three months, ever since Hurricane Maria knocked out 100 percent of electricity on the island of 3.4 million people. Today almost half the island is without power. It’s the longest blackout in American history and will not be over soon because of a shortage of supplies to fix the electrical grid.

“The materials are arriving but at a really slow pace. Sadly, we are hardly working,” said a lineman who preferred not to be identified. “In the meantime, we try to reuse whatever materials that can be found onsite which are rusty and unreliable.”
But - HEY! At least they have paper towels, right? Puerto Rico seems to have been given the deep six. Even the Virgin Islands are getting their electricity going again, but Puerto Rico stands last in line behind Texas and Florida. Many people in Puerto Rico are STILL getting their electricity from emergency generators and they're running out of money to pay for the gas.

The Governor of Puerto Rico had hoped to get the electricity grid in Puerto Rico up and running again by December 15th, then by Christmas and now the Army Corps of Engineers says not until March.

Merry Christmas, Puerto Rico!

MAGA? I think NOT!

Old 12-22-2017, 10:36 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,074,465 times
PR had a crappy falling apart grid before the hurricane hit with frequent outages.

And for PR it was replacing the grid, not fixing it and that will take a much longer time.

This is what happens when you have a corrupt local government that doesn't spend their tax money on infrastructure...it eventually falls apart.

Old 12-22-2017, 10:38 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,446,965 times
That's what they get for chasing the only company that was willing to help them off the island for political optics reasons. Oh well, they need to wallow in their mire of decisions.

Old 12-22-2017, 10:51 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,177,347 times
Actually the longest blackout is in the U.S. Virgin Islands. St. Thomas has been out of power since Hurricane Irma, two weeks before Hurricane Maria. We are having the same issue with supplies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
That's what they get for chasing the only company that was willing to help them off the island for political optics reasons. Oh well, they need to wallow in their mire of decisions.
Not really. The same is true for the U.S. Virgin Islands, next door. We did not have that company. We have crews from all over the U.S. and we are dealing with the same issues and are much smaller.

To say that people should wallow in such conditions is inhumane.

Old 12-22-2017, 10:51 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,656,546 times
Didn't they hand out a bunch of bonus money to the elites in government ? They must being doing a good job. A real good job. Can't imagine they don't have money for fuel at the district mansions.

Old 12-22-2017, 10:59 AM

2,359 posts, read 1,035,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post

While I wouldn't necessarily agree that the people of Puerto Rico need to pay even more dearly for the mistakes of their local leaders, I will agree that it made no sense to chase off a company that already had people on the ground and was ready to commence reconstruction.

Old 12-22-2017, 11:01 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,446,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton Miteybad View Post
While I wouldn't necessarily agree that the people of Puerto Rico need to pay even more dearly for the mistakes of their local leaders, I will agree that it made no sense to chase off a company that already had people on the ground and was ready to commence reconstruction.
I'm not talking about the people, I'm talking about their government who has to answer to the people.

Old 12-22-2017, 11:03 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,226,860 times
I’ve been to Puerto Rico and seen their cobbled together grid. What is shocking is it lasted as long as it did.

Old 12-22-2017, 11:04 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,074,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton Miteybad View Post
Normally in a disaster politics is put on the sidelines while people team up to help.
Not so for PR as it was politics from start with them and recovery.

Old 12-22-2017, 11:06 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,938,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
https://www.thedailybeast.com/93-day...power?ref=home

But - HEY! At least they have paper towels, right? Puerto Rico seems to have been given the deep six. Even the Virgin Islands are getting their electricity going again, but Puerto Rico stands last in line behind Texas and Florida. Many people in Puerto Rico are STILL getting their electricity from emergency generators and they're running out of money to pay for the gas.

The Governor of Puerto Rico had hoped to get the electricity grid in Puerto Rico up and running again by December 15th, then by Christmas and now the Army Corps of Engineers says not until March.

Merry Christmas, Puerto Rico!

MAGA? I think NOT!
Puerto Rico was nearly non-functioning before the hurricane and now you seem to blame Trump for the inaction and ineptness of a Caribbean Detroit?

Where was Obama when people in Flint were getting poisoned by the water they were drinking?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies