Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2017, 11:53 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,604,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
People need to rely less on government . Spending cuts are necessary. Only people that don't like tax cuts are the ones that don't work .
That's not true, you just don't see the forest for the trees. If the tax cut saves you $20/week, but by retirement age, your social security and Medicare are gutted, that $20 cost you tens of thousands in reality
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2017, 11:56 AM

5,731 posts, read 2,193,482 times
The tax bill was a wild ride. It turned out even better than I expected, republicans have finally proven they can govern effectively. Looks like infrastructure is next, maybe we can see some much needed bipartisanship. After infrastructure I hope to see spending addressed

Old 12-22-2017, 11:57 AM

7,736 posts, read 4,988,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
That's not true, you just don't see the forest for the trees. If the tax cut saves you $20/week, but by retirement age, your social security and Medicare are gutted, that $20 cost you tens of thousands in reality
News flash. Social security is already gone. The government spent all the money. We have sold out our own country at the expense of others. Our schools are in of repair, roads are broken, infrastructure is crumbling.

Id rather put money in my IRA then pay into social security.

We need a boost to the economy to get the USA back in the global workforce again. Once the economy is rolling again. Then taxes can be adjusted. People forget how Obama added 10 trillion of debt. Thats more than Bush fighting two wars!!

Old 12-22-2017, 12:06 PM

Quote:
News flash. Social security is already gone. The government spent all the money. We have sold out our own country at the expense of others. Our schools are in of repair, roads are broken, infrastructure is crumbling.

Id rather put money in my IRA then pay into social security.

We need a boost to the economy to get the USA back in the global workforce again. Once the economy is rolling again. Then taxes can be adjusted. People forget how Obama added 10 trillion of debt. Thats more than Bush fighting two wars!!
Twice a month I look at my paycheck and wish the same thing. I could put that $300 towards social security each month into a Roth 401k or IRA or even pay off my house. I hate the program because it takes choice out of retirement, I want to be in charge of my own retirement and not told when I can get my money. I wish there was an opt out, repeal the social security mandate!

Old 12-22-2017, 12:06 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,041,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post
Trumps tax cuts do the following,

Raise workers income by 0.8%
Raise middle class Americans income by 1.5%
Raise then richest 1% of Americans income by 13.5%
Raise the richest 0.1% of Americans income by 14.2%

https://www.forbes.com/sites/janetno.../#3bc6b8d865b9

And Trumps infrastructure plan is also a handout to billionaires. Trumps plan allows billionaire developers to fix our infrastructure, and for every $1 these billionaires spend fixing our infrastructure (.82 cents will be given back to them with tax dollars from the middle class.)

Then after roads or bridges are repaired these billionaire developers will personally own the roads or bridges, and then they will charge regular Americans tolls for use of those roads and bridges.

https://www.commondreams.org/views/2...structure-scam
Bernie Sanders roils Trump's infrastructure plan - Business Insider

And its ironic how you use Christmas to celebrate Trump's tax and infrastructure policies. Christmas is a celebration of Jesus' birthday and Jesus taught us to help the poor and the Camel Parable. And Trump's tax and infrastructure plans are the 100% the opposite of the teachings of Jesus.

You are forgetting that people own the money they earn first and foremost. So everyone on your list is getting to keep more of what they already owned in the first place. Nobody is getting anything "given back". They are just getting robbed of what they own to a lesser degree.

Corporations especially. NOT GETTING HANDOUTS. They shouldn't be taxed in the first place. They are being allowed to keep much more of what they earned and own in the first place. Since other jurisdictions have generally lower corporate theft than we have had, this will cause repatriation of trillions. Happiness!

So that is a good thing. That the wealthy are getting a bigger tax break? That's fine. They do more productive things with the money anyway. And any one of them will still pay in more in yearly income taxes than you will ever dream of paying. Which is unfair, since everyone, regardless of wealth or income, should pay an equal share.

Christmas is now a secular holiday, with very few people worrying about mythological birthdays. It is more a holiday of consumption and celebration of the good life we have. So, since the tax plan gives everyone a better life in the form of allowing them to keep more of what they earn and own, it is perfectly reasonable to link it with Christmas.

And please don't cite commondreams.org as anything a free person would enjoy or believe. That site is a disgusting collection of collectivistic whoring and tyranny.

And let's not forget 2 other good things in the bill. American Freedom has been enhanced by repealing the tyrannical law where the State commands young people to pay for insurance they do not want, against their will, and subject to punishment and enforcement by the IRS.

That's gone, so freedom is enhanced. That's a good thing.

And, drilling in the Arctic Refuge can now begin to be envisioned. Furthering our energy independence and freedom from the tyrannical hell-holes of the Middle East.

So all-in-all? A good bill. Freedom-happiness. Keeping more of what we earned and rightfully own=happiness. Preventing the State from commanding us what to buy=freedom=happiness. Drilling in the distant wilderness=energy independence=happiness.

Merry Christmas and thanks be to God for guiding Donald to push this through.

Last edited by Marc Paolella; 12-22-2017 at 12:16 PM..

Old 12-22-2017, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
20 a week? I own my own business and will be saving several thousands of dollars. Im actually going to be hiring employees in 2018 because of this. Now I can employ a few more people that might not have had jobs. To me, thats me helping someone that would otherwise be jobless.

Old 12-22-2017, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoOnMyMind View Post
Twice a month I look at my paycheck and wish the same thing. I could put that $300 towards social security each month into a Roth 401k or IRA or even pay off my house. I hate the program because it takes choice out of retirement, I want to be in charge of my own retirement and not told when I can get my money. I wish there was an opt out, repeal the social security mandate!
I have my own business and my accountant always asks me to put money into social security but i refuse.

Old 12-22-2017, 12:14 PM

Quote:
I have my own business and my accountant always asks me to put money into social security but i refuse.
I'm jealous. What type of business do you own if you don't mind me asking? This is a great time for small business owners, I would love to get something started but haven't found what yet

Old 12-22-2017, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoOnMyMind View Post
I'm jealous. What type of business do you own if you don't mind me asking? This is a great time for small business owners, I would love to get something started but haven't found what yet

I supply companies with obsolete fire alarm system parts at wholesale price. We do a lot of B2B but also a lot of E-commerce sales . Started it 7 years ago out of my apartment and storage shed but now have office and warehouse.

Old 12-22-2017, 12:17 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,604,784 times
Quote:
20 a week? I own my own business and will be saving several thousands of dollars. Im actually going to be hiring employees in 2018 because of this. Now I can employ a few more people that might not have had jobs. To me, thats me helping someone that would otherwise be jobless.
I'm only saving $18.17/week with this plan, the vast majority of us are employees rather than employers. You are in the minority
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies