Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2017, 11:23 PM

39,874 posts, read 26,514,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
[/b]

How much of a tax break will you get. Then tell me how much the 1% will get. Republicans are just throwing crumbs to the middle class
I get slightly over a 20% cut in my federal income taxes, reducing my tax rate from nearly 11% to about 8.5.

A couple making $1,000,000 a year gets a 10% cut. Oh, and still pays over 30% of their income in income tax.

Thanks for playing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2017, 11:26 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,374,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Lots of things are news to you.

When Mr. and Ms. America see their tax bill decline, they will vote for the Republicans that, unlike Democrats, had enough sense to stop resisting the populist movement spearheaded by Trump.

If Jeb had won, no one that punches a clock would have seen a dime of tax relief.

The same goes for the rest of the establishment, to include the greatest corporate ***** of them all, Hillary Clinton.

Something else you don't know is that Republicans will keep both houses because they came through for ordinary Americans.
But the Repubs are not coming through for “ordinary” Americans. This tax bill only helps the wealthy and corporations.

Old 12-25-2017, 11:31 PM

32,065 posts, read 15,067,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
The corporate tax cuts are the most important. They help create U.S. economic expansion, and JOBS.

No, they don't. The CEO's and share holders benefit from it. Why would they share with the middle class when they could just pocket it. Mom and Pops shops create jobs

Old 12-25-2017, 11:45 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,583,738 times
Quote:
No, they don't. The CEO's and share holders benefit from it. Why would they share with the middle class when they could just pocket it?
Why don't you ask them? Here is an article listing the latest ones and more will be added as time goes on. With an expanding economy, companies have to attract and retain employees with higher salaries and incentives or they will quit to work elsewhere.

Old 12-26-2017, 12:06 AM

Quote:
[/b]

No, they don't. The CEO's and share holders benefit from it. Why would they share with the middle class when they could just pocket it. Mom and Pops shops create jobs
You do realize that the middle class makes up a large part of the "share holders" right? Those 401k plans we are depending on for our retirement are held in stocks-which means we are the share holders. Helping business helps the middle class-whereas destroying business, such as Obama's policies all too often did-hurts them.

Old 12-26-2017, 12:23 AM

33,316 posts, read 12,534,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
You are forced to buy insurance only if you earn income, just like regular income taxes.
^^^^^ Now that ChrisC showed that your example is invalid, you're moving the goalposts.

Quote:
https://www.healthcare.gov/exemption...-affordability

Stopping earning enough income and you didn’t have to buy insurance. Maybe not a great choice, but still a choice. Call that slavery if you want. What do you think happened if a slave decided he no longer wanted to work on the plantation? Could he apply for an exemption?

You think there’s a dichotomy because you have the illusion that most laws are voluntary and based on some choice you’ve made. They aren’t. You choose to live in a particular place with property taxes, but EVERYWHERE has property taxes of some kind. The choice you make is where to pay them. You choose to obey traffic or pedestrian laws by leaving your own private property, but being confined to never leave your own land hardly seems like freedom.

We’ve made a choice as a society to not allow people to die in hospitals just because they can’t pay. The corresponding effect is that people who earn income had to buy insurance. There are ways to avoid paying. Just like there are ways to avoid income taxes or following traffic laws. They are not great.
Read your own link. You have to file a tax return in order to get the exemption. If you didn't earn enough money to trigger the requirement to file a tax return, you shouldn't have to file a tax return. Starting January 1st 2019, we'll be back to that point.

Last edited by RMESMH; 12-26-2017 at 12:44 AM.. Reason: CORRECTED ONE CHARACTER TYPO

Old 12-26-2017, 12:28 AM

32,065 posts, read 15,067,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
You do realize that the middle class makes up a large part of the "share holders" right? Those 401k plans we are depending on for our retirement are held in stocks-which means we are the share holders. Helping business helps the middle class-whereas destroying business, such as Obama's policies all too often did-hurts them.
The middle class will make up a few hundred each year maybe more or less if that ....not the millions that the 1% will get. And their taxes are permanent while ours will run out

Old 12-26-2017, 05:36 PM

2,418 posts, read 2,037,272 times
Quote:

That means the details were far less important than the name associated with them.

I watched the video and you are correct. That's the problem I have with party loyalty, easier to just follow along with the crowd instead of thinking for oneself.

Old 12-26-2017, 10:08 PM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
But the Repubs are not coming through for “ordinary” Americans. This tax bill only helps the wealthy and corporations.

Right, I keep hearing that from Democrats, yet I am in fact receiving a tax cut.

Old 12-26-2017, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Right, I keep hearing that from Democrats, yet I am in fact receiving a tax cut.
You have to realize that most Democrats are, by definition, low-information voters. They will only hear what they want. I'm wondering how some of them will explain the extra money in their paychecks in February? (well-that assumes that there are still Democrats that work for a living).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies