Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2017, 08:50 PM

21,427 posts, read 7,517,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
You can fill a book with all the hyperbole and falsehoods the Left and the biased liberal media have said about Trump.
Are you saying he did not stiff his contractors?

Are you saying he did not swindle thousands of working class families with his 'University' ?

Are you saying he is not a liar?

What exactly are you referring to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2017, 10:24 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,530,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
America’s New Religion: Fox Evangelicalism

They are pretty much America's Taliban.
100% agree.

Old 12-23-2017, 10:42 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,739,759 times
Quote:
America’s New Religion: Fox Evangelicalism

They are pretty much America's Taliban.
Lol. Yeah, if you’re on crack.

Old 12-23-2017, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
If you are referring to Trump, I think he's trying to get the monkey off his back so cut him some slack, ok?

Old 12-23-2017, 11:14 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,739,759 times
Quote:
If you are referring to Trump, I think he's trying to get the monkey off his back so cut him some slack, ok?
How high are you?

Old 12-23-2017, 11:44 PM

Quote:
How high are you?
I am high on life.

Rarely drink - don't smoke.

Chase women but make sure not to catch them.

Merry Christmas

Old 12-24-2017, 06:54 AM

12,117 posts, read 6,653,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post

Did you read the whole article?

It was written by a Christian, so no, it is not about how "evil and scary" Christians are. It is about the fact that, just as religion has had an impact on politics in America, politics has had its effects on religion, and that in many cases, those effects have not reinforced traditionally Christian values, but diluted them.

Here is an example, one of many from the "War on Christmas." Remember the outrage a couple of years ago, when Starbucks used those red cups around the holidays? What was that all about? Would the cups have been more Christmas-friendly if they had featured a picture of Santa Clause or Rudolph? Most of the things that get these culture warriors up in arms have nothing whatsoever to do with Christmas as a religious observation.

I understand that you may not like the author's politics, but she makes some excellent points about how some conservatives have made sacred cows of things that have literally nothing to do with Christianity. (Yeah, I know, sacred cows themselves have nothing to do with Christianity, but you know what I mean. Humor me. )
Did you read my WHOLE post?

I clearly stated I was not able to read the whole article because it was behind a pay/subscribe wall, and I was
Only responding to the copy and paste part that the OP felt was important.

Thank you for explaining the actual gist of the article -- I probably agree with much of it.
My point from what the OP pasted being that right-wing media usually tries to align "Christians" or the word "Christianity" with any hateful racist nutty extremist fundamentalist behavior, while they minimize and protect Islamic behavior and call anyone out as islamaphobic if trying to point out how hateful and intolerant much of fundamentalist Islam is.

Leftt-wing media rarely makes the effort to show how the white supremacists, or intolerant fundamentalists, who call themselves Christians are just a small extremist group not representing mainstream Christianity -- but they fall all over themselves pointing out how it's only "a few" Muslims hyjacking Islam, and how islamaphobic
anyone is to criticize any Muslim's behavior.
They don't distinguish Christian radicals, but put enormous effort in distinguishing Islamic radicals.

Sadly, both political parties have an investment in VOTES.
For democrats, it's the millions of Muslim votes.
For republicans it's the evangelicals.

Old 12-24-2017, 07:17 AM

8,131 posts, read 4,358,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
This is an interesting article where Christian activists promote Christian nationalism in the public sphere. As the number of people classifying themselves as Christians decline in the USA, people that promote Christian nationalism are becoming increasingly out of touch with more and more Americans.

“Never in my lifetime have we had a Potus willing to take such a strong outspoken stand for the Christian faith like Donald Trump,” tweeted Franklin Graham, the son of the evangelist Billy Graham. The Dallas pastor Robert Jeffress sees a divine hand at work: “God intervened in our election and put Donald Trump in the Oval Office for a great purpose.”

But what those critics don’t recognize is that the nationalistic, race-baiting, fear-mongering form of politics enthusiastically practiced by Mr. Trump and Roy Moore in Alabama is central to a new strain of American evangelicalism. This emerging religious worldview — let’s call it “Fox evangelicalism” — is preached from the pulpits of conservative media outlets like Fox News. It imbues secular practices like shopping for gifts with religious significance and declares sacred something as worldly and profane as gun culture
https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/12/1...CAFb%3Famp%3D1

I've always felt religion was man made and a joke. This is just another example of hypocrisy, Roy Moore send help.

Old 12-24-2017, 07:24 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,619,221 times
Quote:

Please Faux news it just as biased as MSNBC or any other left wing media outlet.

Old 12-24-2017, 08:27 AM

26,216 posts, read 22,387,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I think it's a mental disorder to believe Trump is a strong spokesman for the Christian faith.
I think the "mental disorder" is thrown around a little too much these days, but I would agree that Trump is not a strong spokesman for the Christian faith, and IMO should not be as POTUS. The job of POTUS is not to be the voice of Christians.

Quote:
You can fill a book with all the hyperbole and falsehoods the Left and the biased liberal media have said about Trump.
An encyclopedia actually. But, don't expect to pin it on anyone as it is always just an allegation or from an "anonymous" source. In short, horse poop being dreamed up for the ratings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Won't say it's a mental disorder, but Trump does not speak for Christians. I do appreciate some positive attention though...
Some attention, yes, but his job is not to speak for any specific group other than Americans and others legally present in our country, the ones he is working for.

Quote:
There is no 'liberal MSM'.

There is liberal media (equivalent to Breitbart with an opposing ideology), and there is the mainstream media. You promote the fallacy that anything you don't agree with is liberal, but that is not the case.

Journalists report the news. Good news, bad news, interesting news.

If the news makes your viewpoint look bad it's not because of the media, it's because of you and your viewpoint.

You look bad and that's what the rest of us see, don't blame the messenger.
Actually, no. The MSM has been bought out and are not unbiased, you need to trace ownership/leadership of the different news media.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
This goes in the category with racism, allegations of sex abuse, and fake news.

They are all things Democrats accuse others of, which they practice themselves.
And "ACCUSE" is the operative word. We see little to no proof, just accusations.

Quote:
Journalists are suppose to report the news but that ship sailed away decades ago. Now you have anchors like Chris Matthews and Don Lemon sitting around a round desk with other Leftist talking heads with their nonstop Trump/Republican bashing. Tell me how that is reporting news and how that is not biased?
It isn't about reporting the news anymore, it is about ratings and what the owners of those media outlets want. CNN is owned by Time-Warner who spent over $800,000 trying to get Hillary Clinton elected, so how do you think their accusations would be leaning?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
^^^ The above is the reason why many Christians will no longer identify as 'evangelical'. With their support of Trump and all that is unholy ~ the word now denotes more of a political voting bloc rather than a true Christian. A group that will vote for a man that has never ONCE asked God for forgiveness , discusses women in the crudest terms possible, cheated on his wives and cheated in business.

No one mistakes them for christians any longer.
An evangelical Christian subscribes to a little different belief system than other Christians.

5 Beliefs That Set Evangelical Christians Apart: https://www.newsmax.com/fastfeatures.../02/id/636050/

So, it is more than not identifying, you just don't drop the "evangelical" and are suddenly not if you don't drop the beliefs. Although one can call themselves whatever they want, the belief system will tend to define them in a religious sense.

Ted Cruz was a glowing example of an evangelical Christian. He is with a group that wants to get the US "rapture" ready, yeah, I opposed with every ounce of energy I had. Trump is middle of the road where he should be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
We are not evil and scary--the evil and scary ones are the fundamental, evangelical so-called Christians. You know, the ones who like to hide behind their "religion" but in reality are mean spirited liars. Often there was something wrong with them to begin with and that's why they chose to convert to an extremist "religion." They hate the rest of us and tell us we won't go to heaven...yet many of the men cheat on their wives, drink to excess (or did before they converted) and the women won't work to help support the family because they are brainwashed to thinking a woman's place is in the home.

Yes, I've known some. And another thing they'll say is that "God told me" --that way if God told them to do something, who can be against them, lol. See? We are on to you!
Yes, there are sinners among the evangelical Christians, but did anyone say there wasn't?

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
ANYONE who thinks trump is a man of God or any other faith is a fool. Period he believes he nothing but money that's the only God he knows.
Only God knows Trump's heart, and the heart of everyone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1grin_g0 View Post
I don't know anyone that identifies themself as an evangelical. It seems that it's a term used almost exclusively by the MSM to conveniently lump all Christians in to one voting bloc. As far as Trump and his strong support among "evangelicals", Christ taught forgiveness of sin and warned against judging others. I think true Christians are willing to look past someone's flaws. That's kinda the whole point of Christianity. We acknowledge that we are imperfect... all have sinned. I think Christians support Trump because of his views on the key issues. Would true Christians want a Neil Gorsuch on the Supreme Court to protect religious freedoms, or would they prefer the court be stacked with liberal judges? Perhaps you have a fundamental misunderstanding of what Christianity is all about?
Many are confused and do lump all Christians together, or at least those that quote the Bible from what I have read. Most striking out against God will consider all Christians to be "evangelical" from what I have read in comments. They don't even realize that God is worshipped by people who are not Christian at all, so their opinions aren't worth much on religion.

I think what offends so many about any God-based religion is that taking "personal responsibility" for one's actions is involved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Please Faux news it just as biased as MSNBC or any other left wing media outlet.
It is about ratings. Something for everyone. Not so much of this is news, but simply banter, knocking around thoughts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies