Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2017, 10:13 PM

91 posts, read 49,190 times

Advertisements

Why in the world would alimony be tax deductible? Or receiving alimony be taxed?

Who dreams this nonsense up? Never mind, duh. The lawyer lobby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2017, 12:16 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
As another poster pointed out - men also get paid alimony when married to a wealthy woman. Using your argument - men are not truly equal to women.
Ya, well that guy might as well just commit suicide and get it over with.

Old 12-25-2017, 12:27 AM

7,520 posts, read 2,808,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by factcheckcd View Post
Why in the world would alimony be tax deductible? Or receiving alimony be taxed?

Who dreams this nonsense up? Never mind, duh. The lawyer lobby.
^This is my question. The alimony payer likely pays tax on their income before the alimony receiver receives it and then the receiver must pay tax on it again? I have never been in a divorce alimony child support situation so this is news to me. Pretty stupid and ingenious at the same time if you are the taxing authority.

Old 12-25-2017, 06:47 AM

1,225 posts, read 605,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
No they won’t because the courts will not get over involved in such a way as to control a debit card and somehow ensure only arbitrary percentages get used for a child. Ensuring support is being paid at all is hard work enough, courts will not start to enforce your ideas because it’s too intrusive.

When a child lives in a home, many home expenses benefit or go towards the child and childcare. Period. You cannot easily pick apart what percentages of what are used for the child. It gets far too complicated.
My point exactly. Just as with things like foodstamps it can’t be itemized so specifically.

Last edited by Tigerlily87; 12-25-2017 at 07:00 AM..

Old 01-29-2018, 01:47 PM

3,562 posts, read 4,395,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
You know people do fall out of love, happens all the time. Why stay married in that? Life is too short.
We were married in California and our marriage lasted 25 years. I was madly in love with my ex-wife for the first 15 years of our marriage. The last 10 years were sad, bitter, and downright painful. We were legally separated before deciding to get a divorce.

Our squabbles began when she entered menopause. No matter how much I and our children begged her to seek medical help, she would not budge and refused any and all type of assistance.

To make a long story short, by court decree, during our legal separation, I gave her all proceeds from the sale of our house in exchange for not taking me to court for alimony. We both agreed to this and the court endorsed it. Three years later she took me to court for alimony and was awarded lifetime spousal support.

End result:
Although I've been a full time worker since age 19, I've been practically destitute since the divorce. I can't even afford to rent an apartment. She on the other hand, owns a house free and clear and works a part time job 4 days per week. My only saving grace is the fact that I can still deduct a portion of my spousal support payments from federal income taxes.

As if existing alimony laws weren't painful enough, the 2019 Federal Alimony laws add insult to injury and add yet another layer of unfairness to an antiquated system which should be meticulously scrutinized.

Old 01-29-2018, 06:25 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,591,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
It's a good incentive for men to clean up their marital acts.
Even better incentive to not get married in the first place.

Old 01-29-2018, 06:33 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,141,179 times
Do we know if Trump is paying alimony?

Old 01-29-2018, 06:46 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,626,404 times
The solution is to make sure the wife works before the kids come. The days of the stay at home mom are coming to a close fast. It takes two to provide nowadays. (Unless you are a high roller) all hands on deck....

Old 01-29-2018, 06:50 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,766,211 times
I’ve never met a woman who received alimony. Then again the only ex wife of a physician I ever met had her own successful antique shop.

Generally, if a woman has marketable skills, she won’t get alimony.

Old 01-29-2018, 06:50 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,626,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
We were married in California and our marriage lasted 25 years. I was madly in love with my ex-wife for the first 15 years of our marriage. The last 10 years were sad, bitter, and downright painful. We were legally separated before deciding to get a divorce.

Our squabbles began when she entered menopause. No matter how much I and our children begged her to seek medical help, she would not budge and refused any and all type of assistance.

To make a long story short, by court decree, during our legal separation, I gave her all proceeds from the sale of our house in exchange for not taking me to court for alimony. We both agreed to this and the court endorsed it. Three years later she took me to court for alimony and was awarded lifetime spousal support.

End result:
Although I've been a full time worker since age 19, I've been practically destitute since the divorce. I can't even afford to rent an apartment. She on the other hand, owns a house free and clear and works a part time job 4 days per week. My only saving grace is the fact that I can still deduct a portion of my spousal support payments from federal income taxes.

As if existing alimony laws weren't painful enough, the 2019 Federal Alimony laws add insult to injury and add yet another layer of unfairness to an antiquated system which should be meticulously scrutinized.
Did you consult an attorney? You got screwed. Maybe you can see if you can do some damage control with another attorney (if you can afford it)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies