Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2017, 10:39 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,879,282 times

Advertisements

I haven't seen the movie yet, but heard it was well done. No issue with female heroes. I go to a movie to enjoy a movie. Thor ragnark was a fun movie. The female villain was a bedazz.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2017, 10:58 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,505,661 times
This conversation isn't about the movie per se. It's about sexist attitudes being promoted by the alt-right. Funny how people are skipping over this.

Do you all believe men should rule over women?

My personal theory is that the alt-right are just afraid to compete on an even playing field with women and people of color.

Old 12-25-2017, 11:00 AM

18,561 posts, read 7,372,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Wow. It's 2017 and people believe women are biologically programmed to like cooking and housework.

Do women like it or are they just doing it out of obligation?
Again with this "It's the current year". So what? Why would the year be supposed to govern what one believes? Are you admitting to the power of propaganda, or what? I mean, "It's the current year, so we all should have been brainwashed equally"? Is that the point?

And your prejudices -- wow!

I do not believe that "women are biologically programmed to like cooking and housework". That's your prejudice about people who look at the world objectively, without filtering our view through the lens of ideology. What I believe, and what I said, is that the things that women have traditionally done, which has varied from time to time and place to place, are valuable.

But more to the point of the OP, men and women are different, and it is true that, for the most part, women make terrible leaders.

Old 12-25-2017, 11:03 AM

9,093 posts, read 6,314,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Star Wars ended in 1983.

Garbage not worthy of its name since then.
Exactly! Real Star Wars is dead, Disney tripe is all that lives on.

Old 12-25-2017, 11:59 AM

3,187 posts, read 1,508,977 times
The year is very relevant. It's crazy that people would make an issue of strong female characters in action movies in 2017. No one thought it was making men look wimpy even when the female characters would kick azz in the 80's. Just one example off the top of my head; In the early 80's the Conan the Barbarian series starring Arnold Schwarzenegger all had strong female characters. His mother died defending him against invaders, his love interest in the first movie was a warrior and Grace Jones was a breakout actress in the sequel. Later Brigitte Neilson starred with Arnold in Red Sonja.

I swear we are going back in time....the 80's seems more progressive than now listening to some of these comments. BTW Grace Jones is black too. Here is a clip from 1984 in case some don't remember.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoWmS5IYCkA

Old 12-25-2017, 12:23 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,505,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
Again with this "It's the current year". So what? Why would the year be supposed to govern what one believes? Are you admitting to the power of propaganda, or what? I mean, "It's the current year, so we all should have been brainwashed equally"? Is that the point?

And your prejudices -- wow!

I do not believe that "women are biologically programmed to like cooking and housework". That's your prejudice about people who look at the world objectively, without filtering our view through the lens of ideology. What I believe, and what I said, is that the things that women have traditionally done, which has varied from time to time and place to place, are valuable.

But more to the point of the OP, men and women are different, and it is true that, for the most part, women make terrible leaders.
Really? You question my alleged prejudice while stating that women are unilaterally terrible leader?

Can you elaborate on what is supposed to make women terrible leaders?

Old 12-26-2017, 12:16 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,435,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
My personal theory is that the alt-right are just afraid to compete on an even playing field with women and people of color.
On an even playing field?

Affirmative action preferences that favor women and non-whites over white males eliminated that "even playing field" fifty years ago.

Old 12-26-2017, 12:19 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,435,569 times
I don't watch TV shows and movies that have women and non-whites in authoritative roles.

Why? Because without discrimination against whites and males, it wouldn't happen in real life.

As far as I'm concerned, it's fakery.

SJW nonsense.

Old 12-26-2017, 03:49 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,938,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
I don't watch TV shows and movies that have women and non-whites in authoritative roles.

Why? Because without discrimination against whites and males, it wouldn't happen in real life.

As far as I'm concerned, it's fakery.

SJW nonsense.
Wow! You really are a dinosaur...........

Old 12-26-2017, 03:55 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,119,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
While this may seem petty, it does go to show that the alt-right and white nationalist/supremacist movements do not value women as being equal to men, and that a woman's proper place is in the kitchen so to speak.

I've stated this before and some didn't believe me, but it's something I've seen on forums I've investigated years ago.

Alt-right trolls wage war on
You seem to have all the White people where you want them! So to speak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies