Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2017, 07:31 AM

11,780 posts, read 5,792,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
Very few American middle-class workers will clean toilets at any wage level.
I see nothing wrong with cleaning toilets and did it to get through x-ray school. I still have to clean my own toilets at home - are you speaking from your own personal dislike of cleaning toilets and thinking the rest of us are of the same mindset.

Sorry to disappoint!

Old 12-25-2017, 07:35 AM

62,945 posts, read 29,134,396 times
The lax enforcement of our immigration laws on the part of our government is responsible for Americans being denied janitorial jobs and all other kids of blue collared jobs. If illegal aliens weren't here the greedy employers wouldn't be able to hire them. Black Americans used to do a lot of the janitorial jobs and also whites but no more since illegal aliens have taken over those jobs by working for less.

Old 12-25-2017, 07:39 AM

12,962 posts, read 13,673,944 times
IMO for capitalism to work unskilled labor has to be motivated to work hard at any pay,under any conditions. Illegal immigrants are uniquely motivated. American unskilled labor is no longer under the influence that "if you work hard you will get ahead."

I had a talk with a glasser from Mexico. His English was as good as mine. His crew is well known in the industry and they get called up from Mexico when the work is up real high, dangerous and high profile commercial buildings. The problem for the American worker is after so many of the changes in building trade technology over the the last 20 years illegal workers have been there. Now they are the some of the best at the trade.

Trust me there are Americans who will work for $35.00 under the table with no benefits, but can they the out work their immigrant competitors. That's the only way to take the jobs back. I had a rather uncomfortable conversation with a man whose family still owned cotton, tobacco or rice in the south. He told me that after trying to use illegals for a while, the black workers came in and took the jobs back by out working the illegals.

Old 12-25-2017, 08:11 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,934,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
I know someone who said this has been going on for years. Unbelievable! These are jobs real americans can do and LEGAL immigrants as well.

Disgusting
It is true.

I've worked in construction management for 45 years and I've seen this phenomenon are projects having anywhere between 3 workers and 800 workers.

On the project with 800 workers I would estimate at least half working in masonry and drywall couldn't speak any English with this group representing more than half the construction site population.

I personally know of one company that employees at least 3 "illegals", they all earn more than $20/hour and this isn't New York but rural Georgia. One gets more than $30/hour and works an average of 50 hours weekly and he does get paid time and a half for overtime. This is $1,500/$1,600 weekly and he is worth every dime of it.

When he works he works and doesn't stop for nothing. You never hear the millennial phases "work balance BS" because if you need him on an emergency he will be there... that you can count on, you can count on him and he never, ever complains.

The problem I have with the snowflakes out of school is most will just stand there until you specifically give him a task but once done he will just stand there again. With nothing apparent to do he'll find something even if it's picking up a broom and start sweeping.

Three trades in particular and none of them are easy; concrete/masonry, drywall and rough carpentry.

The entire idea that construction companies hire illegals because they can get them for low wages is just a bunch of BS. Why should Johnny work hard when he can live in mom's basement and play Battlefield Warrior all day? When he gets tired of Battlefield Warrior there's always that call center job working for near minimum wages but at least it is in "computer tech".

You would not believe the number of times a millennial has simply begged for a job telling how he had a wife and young child at home... running out of food and blah, blah. Without any experience he is hired on at $12/hour and when the noon lunch break comes along he vanishes like a fart in the wind because the "work is to hard" blah blah.

The whole idea that illegals are making $25 to $35 hourly is no surprise to me.

Old 12-25-2017, 09:16 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,864,509 times
Blame the companies hiring them... not the illegal/undocumented immigrants themselves.

There should be greater repercussions for employers who knowingly hire undocumented immigrants.

ETA: I also believe that undocumented immigrants who are already here and have ties to the community and have not committed any crime other than being here illegally, should be given easier paths toward legal status. Therefore, they will then be paying taxes. I do not believe however, that any immigrant should be eligible for any kind of government welfare programs, at least not for a number of years.

Old 12-25-2017, 09:20 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kool Keeth View Post
Elitist indeed. Your dislike for the middle-class, and particularly those of Anglo extraction, is seething.
Seems you cannot answer....., or is there some other reason you attempt to make it about me?

Old 12-25-2017, 09:22 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Personally, I am angry with both. I would love to see these companies severely penalized.
I am not angry someone agrees to clean toilets for pennies.

Old 12-25-2017, 09:25 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,558,442 times
I'm outraged!!! Wait....no, no, I don't give a shyte.

Old 12-25-2017, 09:32 AM

587 posts, read 304,884 times
Lynch those union leaders, Any union head that has taken part in this betrayal of union members must be dismissed immediately.

MAGA for Life !

Old 12-25-2017, 09:40 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,087,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Seems you cannot answer....., or is there some other reason you attempt to make it about me?

The union we were in played a part in some of that.

The government - they allowed our borders to stay open, and for tens of millions of law-breaking, border jumping third-worlders to flood into their own country. Furthermore, they have taken in far more "legal" immigrants as well, in addition to "refugees" we had no business taking in.

A number of my co-workers on that particular crew were "refugees" - some of those refugees were lazy as *%&$. Furthermore, the wages went up after the fact that these refugees/immigrants took those jobs, therefore the unions played a part.

I know plenty of Americans who would have taken that particular job.

The union(s) though want the entire third-world to enter the United States - they're a conundrum in and of their own that is working against the interest of low- to middle-class Americans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies