Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2017, 08:50 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevroqs View Post
But then leftists will say "There is no war on christmas. It's just right-wingers being whiny snowflakes".
Because it is. I don't have many people complain about being told "Merry Christmas" yet I hear more people "correct" me when I say "Happy Holidays" because I will not see them until after New Years. You don't hear Jewish people correct Christians "Maccabees are the reason for the season" like many Christians quote for Jesus. I also had someone tell me yesterday it was "Merry Christmas" because "You worry about New Years tomorrow" yet I would not see that person...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2017, 08:53 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,655,217 times
This makes me so angry, that I've punched a hole in the wall, and broken one of the presents I got yesterday - a home made egg timer.

Old 12-26-2017, 12:10 AM

1,716 posts, read 2,500,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Oh poor little offended powder puffs.

Every time I walk out of my house, I'm offended at what I see in today's screwed, blued, and tattooed society. I feel like I'm in a maximum security prison with some of the "people" I see around me.

But you know what? That's tough **** for me. It's a free country. That's what I believe, so I live with my offended-ness. I have every right to have any opinion I want about anything. But I have no right to infringe upon the rights of others because of my opinion.

LIVE WITH IT, WUSSY.

Now if it were something that truly infringed on my rights, like a neighbor's worthless dog barking its head off or something, that's different. But putting whatever sign or flag or decoration you want in your own yard? ... no... LIVE WITH IT.
^^^^ This. It's *O-N-E* HOA-grabbing snowflake! Out of the whole hood?

Take a deep breath and let's practice ---> 'get over it'!!

New HOA proposal = No Snowflakes allowed!!

Old 12-26-2017, 05:14 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,295,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
Yes, people such as yourself should not buy in HOA communities. Why so many do and then complain is their own fault, not the HOA's fault.
This homeowner was not complaining about anything. His neighbor was complaining about his display. Displays are allowed. The complaining homeowner just didn't like this homeowner's display. So who is at fault here? Nobody. But the HOA decided to take sides against the "Jesus" display. They should have told the complainer, "tough. We allow displays. We do not dictate the content of the display."

After all, Christmas is about the birth of Christ (yes, we all know he was likely not born on Dec. 25th, but we do know it was winter). So why should a display featuring a manger scene, and the name of "Jesus" displayed, be "offensive" to anyone?

Perhaps this dude was Jewish. Fine ...I know a lot of Jews who celebrate Christmas just like their Gentile friends, and they like Christmas. They don't complain at the mention of Jesus. They know what the day means to Christians. They accept it. This complainer singled out this one display.

We did a tile job for a Jewish family (actually did a lot of work for this family) one Christmas season that celebrated both Chanukah and Christmas. One day their daughter shouted down from upstairs, "Mom, where's the Christmas wrapping paper?" Her mom called back upstairs, "Right there with the Chanukah paper, honey." Ha! We loved those people! They had us do another house for them a couple of years after that.

Last edited by nononsenseguy; 12-26-2017 at 05:24 AM..

Old 12-26-2017, 05:58 AM

9,446 posts, read 6,572,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
This homeowner was not complaining about anything. His neighbor was complaining about his display. Displays are allowed. The complaining homeowner just didn't like this homeowner's display. So who is at fault here? Nobody. But the HOA decided to take sides against the "Jesus" display. They should have told the complainer, "tough. We allow displays. We do not dictate the content of the display."

After all, Christmas is about the birth of Christ (yes, we all know he was likely not born on Dec. 25th, but we do know it was winter). So why should a display featuring a manger scene, and the name of "Jesus" displayed, be "offensive" to anyone?

Perhaps this dude was Jewish. Fine ...I know a lot of Jews who celebrate Christmas just like their Gentile friends, and they like Christmas. They don't complain at the mention of Jesus. They know what the day means to Christians. They accept it. This complainer singled out this one display.

We did a tile job for a Jewish family (actually did a lot of work for this family) one Christmas season that celebrated both Chanukah and Christmas. One day their daughter shouted down from upstairs, "Mom, where's the Christmas wrapping paper?" Her mom called back upstairs, "Right there with the Chanukah paper, honey." Ha! We loved those people! They had us do another house for them a couple of years after that.

blah blah blah blah blah blah blah No, read the article. It was the "size, structure, and illumination" of the sign that was the objection. It was tacky looking, which you can see from the picture. Actually an insult to Jesus IMO. But go ahead and make one like it for your own front yard in your non HOA home if you feel so upset about the HOA's decision.

Last edited by Harpaint; 12-26-2017 at 06:11 AM..

Old 12-26-2017, 06:39 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
blah blah blah blah blah blah blah No, read the article. It was the "size, structure, and illumination" of the sign that was the objection. It was tacky looking, which you can see from the picture. Actually an insult to Jesus IMO. But go ahead and make one like it for your own front yard in your non HOA home if you feel so upset about the HOA's decision.

"And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. " Mathew 6:5, King James Version.

It is difficult to imagine that Jesus would favor this plywood "Look at me" homage.

Old 12-26-2017, 06:42 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
Over the years, I've noticed that those who make a point of telling everyone what good Christians they are, usually aren't.

Oftentimes, they're using their I'm-a-Christian nonsense to bully others or pull a fast one.

Old 12-26-2017, 06:49 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,875,030 times
Word to the wise. Avoid HOA's unless you want to give complete strangers almost complete control over your property. There is a better way people. I am all for certain deed restrictions, but I am not for giving people high on power the control over what flag I can fly, where I park my car, what kind of trees or bushes are acceptable, what days or time of day I can cut my grass etc.
Ill cut my grass all 10 acres of it anytime I want on any day I want.

Old 12-26-2017, 06:51 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,648,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Snowflake nation.

If it's not the flag, it's Jesus/X-mas signs.

Worthless HOA's

https://www.yahoo.com/news/family-as...131538590.html
I would take it down,after the Holidays

Old 12-26-2017, 07:06 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
It's a homemade sign -- a piece of plywood with "Jesus" spelled out in red garland and bordered with a string of lights.

Tacky as hell.

No wonder the neighbors are complaining.

Are the self-rightous Christians afraid that without the 8 ft. sign nobody would know who was in the manger?
It's tacky looking.

HOA has a " No Signage" rule. Obviously a majority of owners do not want signage in their HOA, else such a rule would not exist. Likely owner was aware of the rule and decided it did not apply to them.

Some municipalities throughout the US have " no signage" ordinances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies