Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2017, 06:37 PM

31,288 posts, read 20,644,911 times

Advertisements

In 2002, the Weekly Standard did a deep dive into her travel demands.

The congresswoman, the article noted, lived about '200 paces' from her Cannon Building Capitol Hill office, though still insisted on a ride.

On December 6, 2001, a blue Ford Contour with government plates pulled up to her apartment building where it idled for 23 minutes, blocking rush hour traffic in the meantime on one of Capitol Hill's busiest streets, the Weekly Standard said.

When the congresswoman appeared an aide opened the car's doors for her and waited while Jackson Lee stood outside the automobile to take a phone call.

Then an awkward moment ensued when Jackson Lee stared her staffer down until the congresswoman's jacket and shawl were removed.

Read more: Sheila Jackson Lee in United row has a history on planes | Daily Mail Online
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2017, 06:38 PM

In a 2011 article in the Daily Caller drivers for the lawmaker said she demanded that they run red lights and on highway shoulders – antics that caused one accident.

Jackson Lee was screaming at a staffer to drive faster when the aide turned too sharply and ran the car into a wall, the Daily Caller reported.

While her time was precious, staffers' testified theirs was not.

'Whatever time she told me to be there, I would always show up at least 20 minutes later, and expect to wait at least 45 minutes,' one of Jackson Lee's drivers told the Daily Caller. 'She was making me wait in the car, sometimes upwards of five to seven hours per day.'

Idling the car so much started to damage its engine.

'My mechanic friend said, "you know, your car looks like you've driven it twice the miles you have,"' the staffer said.

Before this week's United debacle, Jackson Lee had a tense relationship with Continental, the Houston-based carrier that merged with United in 2010.

Jackson Lee's staff would book seats on multiple flights for her week-end trips back to Houston, allowing the congresswoman to pick the trip that would best fit her schedule.

Read more: Sheila Jackson Lee in United row has a history on planes | Daily Mail Online

Old 12-27-2017, 06:40 PM

A year later, in May 1999, Jackson Lee had boarded a Continental flight out of Washington, D.C.'s Reagan National only to find that she had misplaced her purse.

The congresswoman proceeded to get off the flight to look for the bag back in the terminal, meanwhile the plane had left the gate – with the missing purse on board.

According to aviation lobbyists that the Weekly Standard talked to, Jackson Lee demanded she be let back on the plane and didn't believe it was against Federal Aviation Administration regulation.

'She accused the gate staff of racism and demanded to see their supervisor, who was a black woman,' the Weekly Standard wrote. 'Her purse, meanwhile, was unceremoniously dropped out of the cockpit window and ferried back to her.'

Old 12-27-2017, 08:13 PM

19,737 posts, read 11,980,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
I would think United has made the teacher/attorney a better offer by now. I would note that upgrades by frequent flyers are often quite cheap. Under $100 on most domestic flights and sometimes free.

I would also note that much of the response to this thread has a significant touch of racism to it. The Congresswoman was wrong to raise a racial issue...but all the nonsense on here knocking her smells of dislike for the Black woman, She obviously has some strong rapport with her community. So that she is a poor boss would hardly be relevant.

Projection disorder.

Old 12-27-2017, 08:26 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,242,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
Projection disorder.
Post of the RW dolt.

Old 12-28-2017, 10:20 AM

7,575 posts, read 4,122,037 times
I think it was wrong for the Congresswoman's picture to be posted online. United made the choice to match her demands Would I have cried racism if I was Ms. Lee? No. But a picture is worth a thousand words, not really knowing the full intention of why it was included on a Facebook post, especially when it was United Airlines' doing.

A simple FYI, United did this to me, would be enough.

Old 12-28-2017, 10:58 AM

36,858 posts, read 17,245,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
I think it was wrong for the Congresswoman's picture to be posted online. United made the choice to match her demands Would I have cried racism if I was Ms. Lee? No. But a picture is worth a thousand words, not really knowing the full intention of why it was included on a Facebook post, especially when it was United Airlines' doing.

A simple FYI, United did this to me, would be enough.
Why do you only punish United for being a-holes. SJL is an a-hole too. It was a joint effort.

Old 12-28-2017, 11:57 AM

18,058 posts, read 10,242,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Why do you only punish United for being a-holes. SJL is an a-hole too. It was a joint effort.
No indication that is true. SJL had nothing to do with the occurrence.

Old 12-28-2017, 12:08 PM

404 posts, read 192,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Reservations are for the little people.

Woman accuses United of giving her seat to Houston's Sheila Jackson Lee

A passenger on a flight from Houston to Washington D.C. has accused United Airlines of giving her first-class seat to U.S. Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee. D-Houston, and then threatening to remove her from the plane for complaining and snapping a photo of the Houston congresswoman.

Her seat, 1A, was taken, she was told. Simon was given a $500 voucher and reseated in row 11, Economy Plus.

Simon later learned that Jackson Lee was in her pre-purchased seat and has alleged that the congresswoman received preferential treatment, which United denies.

Jackson Lee issued a statement on Saturday afternoon saying: "I asked for nothing exceptional or out of the ordinary and received nothing exceptional or out of the ordinary."

In other words, United lets her get away with this all of the time, and passengers just accept the demotion and the bribe.

And it doesn't matter if the race card is overdrawn, she uses it anyway.

"Since this was not any fault of mine, the way the individual continued to act appeared to be, upon reflection, because I was an African American woman, seemingly an easy target along with the African American flight attendant who was very, very nice," Jackson Lee said in the statement. "This saddens me, especially at this time of year given all of the things we have to work on to help people. But in the spirit of this season and out of the sincerity of my heart, if it is perceived that I had anything to do with this, I am kind enough to simply say sorry."
Dangerous lady is Sheila Jackson Lee it must be said. As her first comment on this incident was to invoke the race card and claim it was all race based. Well versed in the oily art of mock humility and graciousness at the end. Makes one wonder if she should place the same energy into both trying to improve the lives of Black people and representing her community in a more positive light.

Old 12-28-2017, 12:10 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,900,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
United Airlines is one of the worst, I avoid it like the plague.
United Airlines IS the worst, period. Not even close so far as I can tell. If there is a way to mess something up, United will figure out how to do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies