Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2017, 07:38 AM

17,004 posts, read 12,589,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
This gives a lot more detail about what happened:

https://www.facebook.com/jeanmarie.s...13622092980978

I have no sense that she is making any of this up, and if what she stated is true, a fellow Texas congressman traveling with Lee told her that Lee has done this several times before to other passengers (bump them so she could sit where she wanted).

Not surprised Lee would use the race card, the use of the race card as a crutch has been so ingrained in our society that it becomes an automatic crutch when all else fails (and to drown out your own faults).

Reminds me of that saying, "Let them eat cake."!

Little wonder why politicians rank so very low on the public opinion scale.

Edited to add: OMG, you have to look at Sheila Jackson Lee's Facebook profile and her pathetic attempts to excuse her actions. Merciless and beautiful trolling
LOL looks like this one is blowing up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2017, 08:09 AM

23,974 posts, read 15,078,314 times
There is no doubt that SJL is a *****.

This is on United for playing along.

The American public needs to start voting with their pocket. Why anybody has money in Wells Fargo is a mystery to me.

I haven't bought anything from Exxon Mobile since the Valdez ran aground.

The easy way out is to just get pissed off at what we perceive as a badly behaved congress person. IMO, we need to get pissed off at the people who are buying them. The American business community.

Somebody needs to stop this chit. The only people who can are the ones who buy the crap they are selling.

People can call SJL a racist till the cows come home. That won't change a thing. Stop flying United and see what happens.

Old 12-26-2017, 08:18 AM

17,004 posts, read 12,589,940 times
Doesn't the United FF site keep track of where you sat for the last X flights?

Wouldn't it then be a simple matter for SJL to show how many times she flew in first vs how many times she paid for first?

Old 12-26-2017, 08:33 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,550,845 times
So the stupid woman canceled her ticket whether on purpose or by accident. United gave her canceled seat to someone else. The stupid woman, who happens to be a Trump supporter, found out who took her seat and took a picture and started to raise a stink about it so she could get her 15 minutes of fame and some reward. And Trump supporters on here, FB, and the media latch on to it and give her the 15 minutes of fame she so desperately desires. Looks like it worked. SMH

I am sure if a white republican had taken her seat she wouldn't have said a word.

Old 12-26-2017, 09:51 AM

4,573 posts, read 6,781,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
So the stupid woman canceled her ticket whether on purpose or by accident. United gave her canceled seat to someone else. The stupid woman, who happens to be a Trump supporter, found out who took her seat and took a picture and started to raise a stink about it so she could get her 15 minutes of fame and some reward. And Trump supporters on here, FB, and the media latch on to it and give her the 15 minutes of fame she so desperately desires. Looks like it worked. SMH

I am sure if a white republican had taken her seat she wouldn't have said a word.
Why do you say untruths?

Have you read any of the links?

Please provide proof that she "cancelled her ticket" (because you know she didn't).

& how do you know who she voted for (if she even voted)?

Here's a fact: Sheila Jackson Lee is a Racist *****.

& it's a travesty that she holds the seat that Barbara Jordan once held.

Old 12-26-2017, 09:52 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,624,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post

Bingo

Old 12-26-2017, 10:10 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Up to 15 years ago, I was a frequent flyer and was often upgraded to First Class by my preferred carrier. I was ( still am) a nobody, not a politician, with a ton of points.

Congress critters tend to pay a premium for coach seats that are fully refundable and tend to hold seats on multiple flights vs recreational fliers who tend to book the cheapest seats.

Does a full fare Coach ticket trump a First Class seat purchased with points? The price paid for your ticket matters.

If the ticketed passenger is running late, it was common stuff to upgrade someone else.

This flight was delayed due to weather related issues. The airline says the passenger cancelled her seat purchased with points, not cash. The passenger claims she did not. Who knows?

Does not sound like the flight was oversold, given the woman was assigned a Coach Seat and given compensation for her trouble.

Do commercial carriers give politicians priority?

Would this woman have had the same reaction if the beneficiary was a nobody?

Old 12-26-2017, 12:15 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,180,466 times
Some history from 2002...

Sheila Jackson Lee, Limousine Liberal

Just ask Continental Airlines, her hometown carrier. For years, Jackson Lee tormented the airline's office in Washington that handles VIP booking. When Congress was in session, her staff would make several reservations early in the week for return flights to Houston. After the House finished its business that week, she would grab whichever flight was most convenient and scrap the others. But this kind of rule-bending put the carrier in a difficult position. Not only was Jackson Lee only paying coach fare (she was routinely bumped up to first class), but Continental was unable to sell the premier seats she didn't use. Meanwhile, airline crew regularly complained about Jackson Lee's rudeness.

Continental managers, however, feared reprisal and saw little they could do. "After medicine, airlines are the most heavily regulated industry in the United States," says a lobbyist for a Texas-based carrier. "Every airline feels they have to kiss up to Congress; they always feel their livelihood is in Congress's hands." But in February 1998, things finally came to a head. On a flight home to Houston, Jackson Lee became enraged when flight attendants failed to produce the seafood special she liked. "Don't you know who I am?" she reportedly thundered. "I'm Congresswoman Sheila Jackson Lee. Where is my seafood meal? I know it was ordered!"

That outburst prompted a phone call to Jackson Lee from Rebecca Cox, vice president of Continental's government affairs office in Washington and the wife of California Republican Chris Cox. The message? Straighten up and fly right, or don't fly with us. Cox did not return calls seeking comment, but a member of Jackson Lee's staff who fielded the call remembered Cox saying, "[Jackson Lee] screamed at the top of her lungs at least a minute. She embarrassed the flight attendants and the passengers in first class. And she embarrassed herself." Cox then joked, "We have already given her the Delta Airlines schedule.

Old 12-26-2017, 12:26 PM

3,538 posts, read 1,327,650 times
The woman cancelled her flight then tried to make it seem like Sheila Jackson Lee stole her seat. Of course she had to take a pic and make herself a victim.

Old 12-26-2017, 12:29 PM

3,538 posts, read 1,327,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
Why do you say untruths?

Have you read any of the links?

Please provide proof that she "cancelled her ticket" (because you know she didn't).

& how do you know who she voted for (if she even voted)?

The article I read said she cancelled the ticket in the app. Then she saw who got the vacant seat and she went into victim mode. And like clockwork certain people ran with it.

Quote:
"After thoroughly examining our electronic records, we found that upon receiving a notification that Flight 788 was delayed due to weather, the customer appears to have canceled her flight from Houston to Washington, D.C. within the United mobile app," United said in a statement. "As part of the normal pre-boarding process, gate agents began clearing standby and upgrade customers, including the first customer on the waitlist for an upgrade."
Simon denied canceling her flight and sent a screenshot to the Houston Chronicle of her United profile showing the flight as "inactive."
The airline responded saying that because she eventually took the flight, it would not say "canceled" next to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies