Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2017, 02:59 AM

2,320 posts, read 1,869,838 times

Advertisements

Here is the thing- bad breeding ruined the pit bull (at the turn of the century they were a farm dog, a family dog- Petey the dog with the kids in the lil Rascals was a pit bull for example-

banning pit bulls will just make the idiots who ruined pit bulls turn to another breed to make over aggressive (a good dog fighting dog, for example, fights and is aggressive to other dogs, not people)
and violent-

we would have a run on overbred, poorly bred tosas or bulldogs, or german shepherds or whatever...

Old 12-26-2017, 03:18 AM

1,087 posts, read 782,498 times
If there is a bad breed of dog or bad dog owner in your neighborhood, I think you should call a cop to the dog’s residence. I have seen videos of police shooting dogs in the residences.

Old 12-26-2017, 03:37 AM

1,137 posts, read 1,345,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonHB View Post
Yes, we are here to educate. There are some issues that are so polarized with sides that are so entrenched that no one is learning anything at this point. Ceases to be productive and its overly emotional, because it comes down to opinions. Do you REALLY think people are that uninformed about the risk from a badly trained powerful animal in the wrong hands? Dog attacks are nothing new. They will continue as long as humans keep dogs as pets. Sounds as if you want to stir a pot that doesn't need stirring.
That's pretty offensive.
I read ANOTHER news article about a pit bull attack and, like I do with most newsworthy events, looked here for other opinions. It surprised me to see the ban on the topic.
If we were to make "Ceases to be productive and its overly emotional, because it comes down to opinions" the standard then 98% of the political threads would be closed.
I have actually learned a few things from people who posted in this thread.

Old 12-26-2017, 03:57 AM

7,190 posts, read 6,825,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6oo9 View Post
Someone in this thread mentioned earlier about carrying weapon to defend oneself. However, when dog attacks, it seems dog owner and police are not there to help you, but if you use a weapon to defend yourself in a dog attack, almost certain both owner and police will show up if you injure or kill the attacking dog. Much better outcome if you do, but you still need to deal with dog owner and police.
I know and that's really ****ed up. Check out this crap if you want to see a useless cop:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Dbwwj8z76y4

As for myself, I don't care. There's no way in hell I'm placing the life of an animal above that of my own or my family. UH-UH. That's something that I just don't do.

It's BS that an animal has more rights than a human being. The amount of victim blaming I've heard over the years is off the charts.

Old 12-26-2017, 04:03 AM

1,548 posts, read 913,343 times
People always think their animal is an angel and wouldn't hurt a fly. Until it does. This whole thing these days of pets getting little discipline because they are the owners babies is a real peeve I have.

Old 12-26-2017, 04:11 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,587,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
Seems like most of these pit bull owners have something in common. Can't quite put my finger on it.
They like dogs?

Old 12-26-2017, 04:19 AM

8,383 posts, read 4,367,951 times
I love dogs, but some just seem to be inherently unstable. Almost any breed is known to bite, Cocker Spaniels are one of the worst. When you mix aggression with size and strength compounded with a pack mentality, bad things tend to happen.

Old 12-26-2017, 04:46 AM

2,646 posts, read 1,846,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
I love dogs, but some just seem to be inherently unstable. Almost any breed is known to bite, Cocker Spaniels are one of the worst. When you mix aggression with size and strength compounded with a pack mentality, bad things tend to happen.
Plus, the jaws on purebred pit bulls are huge. What provokes pit bulls is probably the same as smaller jawed dogs; but their bite can be deadly.

Owners of pit bulls should keep their pits' jaws in a harness when walking or playing in a place where their are other dogs, people. My daughter thinks the pits belong in zoos, like tigers. Just a thought.

A little Pomeranian bit the tip of my cat's ear off. Just think if the dog would have been a pit bull.

Seems like mixed pits are calmer........IMO.

Pit bulls are a beautiful animal; but they sure can be dangerous. Ya, think? Maybe, they could help in the war on terrorism; domestic, too.

Old 12-26-2017, 05:03 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 2 days ago)

27,178 posts, read 13,461,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motownnative View Post
I am glad you have seen this too. You are so right about the predictability factor. Being able to "read" your dog helps you act in such a way that they see you as the "alpha". With multiple dogs especially that is so important. I have owned a GSD which was wonderful, many are a handful. Even with unfamiliar large dogs I feel I can sense their limits and behavior. Honestly, I wouldn't take in a rescue Pit unless it had it's teeth removed.

I don't understand the fascination either. I know someone who defends her Cane Corso constantly but admitted to me that it killed one of her other dogs. Fighting one another is bad enough, but this is NOT normal.

I mentioned Germany in another post. Just saw Pits are banned there. In much of Europe in fact. If one of the most dog loving countries in the world won't have them, we need to rethink this.

Germany
Since 2001 following dog breeds are officially prohibited:
American Pitbull Terrier
American Staffordshire Terrier
Staffordshire Bull Terrier
English Bull Terrier

https://petolog.com/articles/banned-dogs.html
The British Staffordshire Bull Terrier is a native and traditional breed in the UK, and is named after the county of Staffordshire. The American Pit Bull is not a native UK breed, it is a breed that has been selectively breed from fighting dog stock in order to develop certain chrachteristics including increased jaw strength and bite. The British Staffordshire Bull Terrier is a much smaller breed to either the American Pit Bull or American Staffordshire Terrier

Breed Height Weight

British Staffordshire Bull Terrier 13-16in 25-38lbs

American Pit Bull 18-22in 35-55lbs

American Staffordshire Terrier 16-19in 40-67lbs

Quote:

Through selective breeding, pit bulls have developed enormous jaw strength, as well as a ruinous "hold and shake" bite style, designed to inflict the maximum damage possible on their victims.

This bite trait delivered winning results in the fighting pit. When the Colorado Supreme Court upheld the Denver pit bull ban in 2005, the high court set aside characteristics that pit bulls displayed when they attack that differ from all other dog breeds.

One of these characteristics was their lethal bite:"[pit bulls] inflict more serious wounds than other breeds. They tend to attack the deep muscles, to hold on, to shake, and to cause ripping of tissues.

Pit bull attacks were compared to shark attacks."Leading pit bull education websites, such as Pit Bull Rescue Central, encourage pit bull owners to be responsible and to always carry a "break stick" -- a tool used to pry open a pit bull's jaws -- in case their dog "accidentally" gets into a fight.

These same websites also warn that using a break stick on any other dog breed may cause serious injury to the person. This is true because no other dog breed possesses the pit bull's tenacity combined with a "hold and shake" bite style.

One of the most powerful examples of a pit bull "not letting go" occurred in an Ohio courtroom. During the Toledo v. Tellings trial (Tellings was convicted of violating the City of Toledo's pit bull ordinance), Lucas County Dog Warden Tom Skeldon showed a videotape of a tranquilized pit bull hanging from a steel cable. The dog is essentially unconscious and still does not release its grip. At the time of the taping, the pit bull was being housed at the Lucas County Animal Shelter.

Pit Bull FAQ - Dangerous Dogs - DogsBite.org
In terms of more recent changes to the UK Dangerous Dogs Act it has been non breed specific and applies to all dog owners.

Owners of dogs who kill face up to 14 years jail - Telegraph

Dangerous dogs: owners face tougher sentences for attacks - The Guardian

Old 12-26-2017, 05:04 AM

12,387 posts, read 8,152,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6oo9 View Post
Someone in this thread mentioned earlier about carrying weapon to defend oneself. However, when dog attacks, it seems dog owner and police are not there to help you, but if you use a weapon to defend yourself in a dog attack, almost certain both owner and police will show up if you injure or kill the attacking dog. Much better outcome if you do, but you still need to deal with dog owner and police.
We have a carrier who has been fighting termination for a year and is on suspension for using a knife on two high end dogs with those particular features known to pit bulls. It seemed his Back Off spray had already failed and he went to tried by 12 instead of carried by 6 mode. So zero tolerance on the weapons charge might strip his FERS pension

The reasons that guns get dragged into these discussions is because the legal letter of the law about the specific parents of a dog making it a pit bull are heard when discussing what makes a weapon with fast reload detachable quick change box magazines more dangerous
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies