Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2017, 12:22 PM

666 posts, read 512,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I don't think Allison was talking about nondomestic animals kept in captivity.
I don't understand this comment at all given what my point was.

What I was saying before is that pit bulls are so much like wild animals that keeping them as pets is subjecting yourself to the exact same risk as keeping a wild animal in captivity.

Old 12-27-2017, 12:38 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,717,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastFlatbush View Post
I don't understand this comment at all given what my point was.

What I was saying before is that pit bulls are so much like wild animals that keeping them as pets is subjecting yourself to the exact same risk as keeping a wild animal in captivity.
Yeah, I know. I was responding more to this statement that you made, though:

Quote:
They have to put signs in national parks warning tourists to keep a certain distance from animals because of how unpredictable they are
ETA and this one:

Quote:
They're a breed that has been bred to behave no differently from dangerous animals in the wild

Last edited by Metlakatla; 12-27-2017 at 01:10 PM..

Old 12-27-2017, 12:41 PM

36,520 posts, read 30,856,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I don’t think most pit bull owners are low lifes.

Some do it because that think “understanding” such a breed makes them special.

Some want a macho image.

Some grew up around them and like them.

Some know that it is one of the most destroyed breeds at shelters and adopt them out of kindness.

And, yes, some are low lifes and it fits their lifestyles.

I only see them as naive, regardless of how noble the reason for getting one might be.
Or because someone was about to shoot a helpless puppy or because someone abandoned an emaciated mange covered dog.

What is naive about it?

Old 12-27-2017, 12:48 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,815,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry-Koala View Post
Read again. 33 people were killed by dogs this year in America and 15 of them were CHILDREN, 6 of which were LESS THAN TWO YEARS OLD. It went from 6 deaths in 1987 to 33 in 2017 and you don't see a problem, especially with the numbers rising so fast? Back before the 1980s (that's when pit bulls and Rottweilers to become popular) very few people were killed by dogs. Some years NOBODY got killed, but there was a sudden change in the 80s. You probably grew up then or later and so it seems normal to hear about people getting mauled or killed by dogs. But some of us remember a time when this sort of thing hardly ever happened. Dogs are supposed to be man's best friend, you know.

I gave you a link to a site that does its research very carefully. https://www.dogsbite.org/dog-bite-st...collection.php
That is like going to Stormfront for information about black people. That is a very, very biased site.

Even with it being 33 people, not hardly a debate, kids and adults are more at risk from being killed by another human, driving, etc than by a dog.

Quote:
"Our data for U.S. dog bite fatality statistics is largely based on a massive number of news reports -- which often include photographs and video -- collected at the time of the attack ...
That is not a reliable way of collection data.

Quote:
We collect a trove of data on social media websites about the breeds of dogs involved and their owners. This is especially true when the fatal dog mauling involves pit bulls to dispel breed misidentification rumors. We don't stop at the source dogs either, we also try to capture lineage -- the parents and offspring of the involved dogs ...
Again, not a reliable way to collect data. I seriously doubt this would pass in validity test for a study. Hell, the Miami Herald got it wrong about the type of dog involved in an attack, they claimed pitbull, but later recanted and said it was a boxer.

Quote:
You're wrong about people not being to identify pits. That was a myth started by a few people with an agenda. The truth is most people have no problem identifying pit bulls: Who Can Identify a Pit Bull? A Dog Owner of 'Ordinary Intelligence' Say the High Courts - DogsBite.org
No, I am not wrong, especially since there is no breed that is actually called a pitbull. Since there is no breed, there are no defined characteristics, but they rather assign a set of fluid characteristics to them. If you actually knew anything about them, they often introduce other breeds into the strain for what ever objective they try to do. So you got people with "pitbulls" that vary from 50lbs to over 100lbs, you got them tall and slender, short and stocky, etc, etc.

Most people cannot identify a pitbull, this is why the term "pitbull mix" always comes up, because they just need to tag that label onto something, and that mix gets tossed into the pitbull stats. Given a boxer and pitbull look nothing alike, and a major media outlet still thought they were pitbulls, shows that people have no clue how to identify one.

And again, you are using a biased source, that source would never be allowed even in a college undergrad class.

Quote:
But it's not just about pit bulls. People are keeping many different breeds of dogs these days that don't belong in the hands of amateurs because they've fallen for the myth that those dogs are the same as the easygoing breeds and it's all in how you raise them. That's why the number of people getting killed by dogs in America is so high, unlike the places where those dogs are banned. Bans work. The numbers prove it.
Oh, I agree, it is not about pitbulls, and in case people forgot, this same debate was played out in the 80's over Dobermans, and in the 90's with rottweilers. Toss in there Chows at some point were on the hype train.

Again, I have zero care about these dogs, I do not care if they are banned (though technically I am against breed specific bans because I just do not want any dangerous dogs around, regardless of breed), and do not care if they exist. However, when I see misinformation, I am going to point it out, and if I see hype over a non-issue, I will point it out. And what I see here is misinformation and hype over the entire subject, from both sides actually, but especially those all up in arms about having these dogs around.

Old 12-27-2017, 01:05 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,121,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
So why is it you believe you should decide what pets most people need?

You realize your suggesting most people get a breed that cost form 700 to 1500$ thats been so inbreed it has medical issues ranging from skin problems, eye problems, dental crowding, breathing problems, tail problem, encephalitis, its prone to obesity and often has a shorter life span due to medical complications. And the snuffling and snorting sounds they make.
My dog is perfectly healthy. And at least it will not make an unprovoked attack and kill someone. Pit bulls do that all the time.

Old 12-27-2017, 01:07 PM

3,187 posts, read 1,508,977 times
If anyone wants to get a slight idea of the unpredictability mentioned on this thread you can watch this video. I have witnessed much, much worse. This is safe to post here as it is not violent and no one is injured. This is a TMZ clip from show The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills. (The youtube stuff on pit's is VERY disturbing)

Kim Richards brings in a dog trainer for her Pit Bull and you can see that the dog is not barking and is wagging it's tail when the trainer comes to the door. I have had a"normal" aggressive dog (that I had to watch like a hawk) and he would have been barking and almost tearing the door down THEN later be calm once the person was inside and he realized he belonged there.

This Pit does the opposite; he was initially calm then proceeds to try to attack him in the living room with no warning. Pit Bull advocates actually emailed the show and complained that no decent trainer would kick at a dog (Geez he was trying to protect himself and didn't see the attack coming)

The dog eventually went to a full month of 24/7 training. It did no good. He attacked 5 people in all. Badly enough that at least two required plastic surgery.

Kim Richards' Dog on RHOBH | Celebrity Videos | TMZ.com

Old 12-27-2017, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastFlatbush View Post

You realize a Pit bull is just a canine classified by Linnaeus in 1758 as Canis familiaris. The dog was first domesticated approximately 15,000 years ago and the original "Pit bull" specifically bred about 150 years ago so, no, a Pit bull bred is no more like Canis lupus than any other Canis lupus familiaris.

Old 12-27-2017, 01:14 PM

1,087 posts, read 782,377 times
There is a Children's Hospital of Philadelphia study with data on dog bite injuries to children. It points definitive guilt on Pit Bull.

Quote:

More than 30 different offending breeds were documented in the medical records. The most common breeds included pit bull terriers (50.9 percent), Rottweilers (8.9 percent), and mixed breeds of the two aforementioned breeds (6 percent).
Government source:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19644273

That does it, pit bull is a threat to children with severe injuries.

Old 12-27-2017, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
My dog is perfectly healthy. And at least it will not make an unprovoked attack and kill someone. Pit bulls do that all the time.
Not saying your dogs are not healthy, but clearly pugs have an array of health issues due to their breeding. My dogs are perfectly healthy too and they have never made and unprovoked attack or killed anyone, any of them. So why should I or most people have a pug as opposed to what breed we prefer or happens upon us?

And "Pit bulls" do not attack and kill people all the time.
In 2016 there were 78 million dogs, 4.5 million reported dog bites and 41 fatalities. Do the math.

Old 12-27-2017, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motownnative View Post
If anyone wants to get a slight idea of the unpredictability mentioned on this thread you can watch this video. I have witnessed much, much worse. This is safe to post here as it is not violent and no one is injured. This is a TMZ clip from show The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills. (The youtube stuff on pit's is VERY disturbing)

Kim Richards brings in a dog trainer for her Pit Bull and you can see that the dog is not barking and is wagging it's tail when the trainer comes to the door. I have had a"normal" aggressive dog (that I had to watch like a hawk) and he would have been barking and almost tearing the door down THEN later be calm once the person was inside and he realized he belonged there.

This Pit does the opposite; he was initially calm then proceeds to try to attack him in the living room with no warning. Pit Bull advocates actually emailed the show and complained that no decent trainer would kick at a dog (Geez he was trying to protect himself and didn't see the attack coming)

The dog eventually went to a full month of 24/7 training. It did no good. He attacked 5 people in all. Badly enough that at least two required plastic surgery.

Kim Richards' Dog on RHOBH | Celebrity Videos | TMZ.com
Only got an audio and didnt listen to the entire thing. I heard growling. I heard the guy tell her stop treating your dog like legos, like hes going to fall apart. That much tells me she never established dominance, never disciplined and never had any control over her dog.
I have also seen other breeds of dog who were unpredictable like this due to particular personality of the dog and the owners lack of handling the dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies