Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2017, 07:30 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,531,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartGotts View Post
I assumed the word 'attack' covered the aggressive part.
Splitting hairs will not prevent the next child from being mauled.

I know smaller dogs that are more aggressive then 99.9% of pit bulls.. My ex wife and I had a lab that would chew you a new arse breed means nothing bad owner bad dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
My Golden Retriever didn't have be taught to fetch -- just came so naturally he started doing it when he was about eight weeks old. My Pomeranian didn't have to be taught to bark -- these dogs were bred to bark at noise -- so why are pit bulls considered some sort of generic vessels that have no innate instincts? Pffft that's such BS.

I haven't seen much from the "there are no bad dogs, only bad owners" brigade concerning the young woman who was viciously attacked and killed by her two pit bulls during a walk recently It seems like whenever something like this happens and can't be traced to a "bad owner," they start squawking that the dog wasn't really a pit bull.

Any dog can be aggressive as I stated above take your pick but if you have a breed like pits that have been used for fighting then odds are they are going to be MORE aggressive then another breed.

Old 12-25-2017, 07:37 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,711,783 times
If breed indeed means nothing, perhaps you can explain why border collies have strong natural herding instincts or why most retrievers don't have to be taught to retrieve a stick.

The tired argument about "smaller dogs being more aggressive" doesn't seem to take into account that those who've been killed by pits would probably still be alive if the canine culprits had been toy breeds instead.

Old 12-25-2017, 07:38 PM

2,818 posts, read 1,551,679 times
Here we go again: "I know a pit bull who attacked," thus all pit bulls are dangerous. This is just another way to blame the dog and not the owner. No, no pit bull is "trained" to attack a docile animal (except in the fighting ring). But if a pit bull--or any dog--is improperly bred/bred for aggression, mistreated, abused, etc., it becomes crazy, not right in the head, just like a mistreated, abused human. Pit bulls used to be known as the "babysitter dog," because they were the greatest family dogs ever. Then the dog fighters/macho idiots/backyard breeders of the world started breeding indiscriminately and the breed line was ruined. Before they did it to pit bulls, they did it to Doberman Pinschers, and everybody started saying that Doberman Pinschers were "bad." Then they started in with the Rottweiler, and--right on cue--everybody started screaming about Rottweilers being "bad" dogs. Now, it's the pit bull. People are so stupid. Put the blame where it belongs: on the breeders and owners. My pit bull was attacked by a shih tzu. His response was to roll over on his back in submission.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeuy_PBlqz8

Old 12-25-2017, 07:47 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,711,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganicSmallHome View Post
Here we go again: "I know a pit bull who attacked," thus all pit bulls are dangerous. This is just another way to blame the dog and not the owner. No, no pit bull is "trained" to attack a docile animal (except in the fighting ring). But if a pit bull--or any dog--is improperly bred/bred for aggression, mistreated, abused, etc., it becomes crazy, not right in the head, just like a mistreated, abused human. Pit bulls used to be known as the "babysitter dog," because they were the greatest family dogs ever. Then the dog fighters/macho idiots/backyard breeders of the world started breeding indiscriminately and the breed line was ruined. Before they did it to pit bulls, they did it to Doberman Pinschers, and everybody started saying that Doberman Pinschers were "bad." Then they started in with the Rottweiler, and--right on cue--everybody started screaming about Rottweilers being "bad" dogs. Now, it's the pit bull. People are so stupid. Put the blame where it belongs: on the breeders and owners.
]
The whole pit bull as "nanny dog" thing was debunked years ago. It's just not true.

The TRUTH About Pit Bulls: The Nanny Dog Myth Revealed

I'm not sure blame matters much to those who've had loved ones killed by these things, does it? Whether it's bad dogs or bad owners, victims of attacks are just as dead.

ETA I think there's a bit more to it than just knowing a pit bull that attacked and deciding that the entire breed is bad.

Old 12-25-2017, 07:48 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,952,231 times
I would never, ever own a pit bull. People with small children who own pit bulls are simply not good parents.

Old 12-25-2017, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
The whole pit bull as "nanny dog" thing was debunked years ago. It's just not true.

The TRUTH About Pit Bulls: The Nanny Dog Myth Revealed

I'm not sure blame matters much to those who've had loved ones killed by these things, does it? Whether it's bad dogs or bad owners, victims of attacks are just as dead.
It most certainly is true. That site is somebody's blog, full of misinformation, and with a clear bias against pit bulls.

If backyard breeding and puppy mills were made illegal, a lot of the problem would go away.

Old 12-25-2017, 07:52 PM

20,864 posts, read 9,529,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Like with humans they are taught they weren't born to be aggressive.
That is actually incorrect. Pit bulls were bred to attack other dogs. Thus, by nature they are an aggressive breed.

Old 12-25-2017, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToRow View Post
I would never, ever own a pit bull. People with small children who own pit bulls are simply not good parents.
Self-righteous ignorance.

Old 12-25-2017, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
That is actually incorrect. Pit bulls were bred to attack other dogs. Thus, by nature they are an aggressive breed.
No, not all pit bulls are bred to attack other dogs. Simply not true. Legitimate breeders actually lose money, since their reputation depends on the purity of the breed line, so they invest thousands in genetic testing, etc., precisely so as not to breed aggressive dogs.

Old 12-25-2017, 07:55 PM

20,864 posts, read 9,529,660 times
ASPCA Position Statement on Pit Bulls
Quote:
Today’s pit bull is a descendant of the original English bull-baiting dog—a dog that was bred to bite and hold bulls, bears and other large animals around the face and head. When baiting large animals was outlawed in the 1800s, people turned instead to fighting their dogs against each other. These larger, slower bull-baiting dogs were crossed with smaller, quicker terriers to produce a more agile and athletic dog for fighting other dogs.
As I said, by nature they are an aggressive breed. Anybody who denies that is, well, in denial.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies