Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2017, 05:08 PM

17,341 posts, read 11,271,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
I'm familiar with breed-specific legislation and its theories, but it hasn't made much practical headway, so I was curious as to how it's working in practice. Particularly when such basic laws (leash laws, dog licensing laws) are difficult enough to enforce.

How would fining for not spaying and neutering work, for example? Would roaming officers be checking for spay scars on females? On all dogs, or just ones they may think looks like a pitbull? Would vets be mandated reporters for un-altered animals?

Don't get me wrong, I am all for more responsible pet ownership. Particularly, I'd love to see the puppy mill and larger scale BYBs in the South and Midwest be shut down. But a lot of this legislation sounds better than it ever could actually be.
If a dog is found wandering and picked up by animal control, the owner must prove via vet records that the female has been spayed. If there is no proof, the owners don't get the dog back. It's quite simple. Once a dog leaves a property, it's fair game to be scrutinized. Even rescue dogs have proof of spay. It's not very hard.

May I also add that no laws or ordinances are perfect. They are at least an attempt to limit the pit bull populations. Towns have enacted these laws for the most part because of a problem they've had with pit bulls and their owners.

Last edited by marino760; 12-29-2017 at 05:18 PM..

Old 12-29-2017, 06:21 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,091,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
If a dog is found wandering and picked up by animal control, the owner must prove via vet records that the female has been spayed. If there is no proof, the owners don't get the dog back. It's quite simple. Once a dog leaves a property, it's fair game to be scrutinized. Even rescue dogs have proof of spay. It's not very hard.

May I also add that no laws or ordinances are perfect. They are at least an attempt to limit the pit bull populations. Towns have enacted these laws for the most part because of a problem they've had with pit bulls and their owners.
I'd say this is a very good policy. Weed out the irresponsible dog owners.

Old 12-29-2017, 06:24 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,036,702 times
Quote:

None of this really addresses backyard breeding, though. And it also highlights how difficult it is to enforce existing laws, if a dog is wandering in the first place.

Old 12-29-2017, 06:40 PM

Quote:
None of this really addresses backyard breeding, though. And it also highlights how difficult it is to enforce existing laws, if a dog is wandering in the first place.
Of course it addresses backyard breeding. If your dog is spayed or neutered then you can't breed it. If you advertise puppies for sale, you are fined. It's not difficult to enforce existing laws. Many places do it and enforce it. There's no magic involved and no law is 100 percent enforced all the time.
Just because everyone doesn't stop at a traffic light, does it mean traffic lights shouldn't exist? Most of this is nothing more than common sense.
And yes, wandering dogs are the biggest problem so they are scrutinized when they are picked up by animal control. That's how many end up in animal shelters all over the country, by wandering.

Last edited by marino760; 12-29-2017 at 06:55 PM..

Old 12-29-2017, 06:59 PM

3,187 posts, read 1,508,322 times
These ordinances are a good idea IMO. I think we all can agree there are too many. This doesn't address breeding, but there is one other option already on the books in most cities and counties and that is the dangerous dog ordinance a person can get enforced if necessary. You don't have to wait until tragedy strikes. Saw this advice on a Cane Corso board by a well known trainer. This breed needs constant care and trainer states numerous times that he feels the breed has basically been ruined due to being in too many of the wrong hands. I found it interesting that he doesn't make apologies for behavior and regularly tells people to contact authorities before someone ends up in the hospital.

This is advice he gave to someone living next door to one that is aggressive and asked about a boarded fence. It's very thorough and may wake some problem owners up at least. Would apply to any dog.

A fence that he can’t see through may help but it won’t block his hearing and his access to his memory which may have connected those sounds to you and therefore to his aggression.

Personally if I had a dog like that living next to me and being handled so inappropriately by the owner I would start to document with notes, photo’s and video. I would check with the local authorities to see what the province/state had as far as dangerous dog legislation. Most areas have it, and depending on how it has been written up, a dog does not have to have committed an actual mauling or killing of another dog or a person to be deemed dangerous. It simply has to behave in a manner that is threatening. Whether or not such legislation exists or not, it can still be hard to get authorities to proactively act. They will typically state, “If the dog hasn’t been bitten we can’t . . .” They will state this even if the legislation exists that says otherwise. If they refuse to act and by act take care of the problem to my complete satisfaction, I would advise writing a non-hyperbolic letter with accompanying photos, incident dates, video on a usb-stick and sending in registered letter format to the local health unit, animal control, police presence, political representative etc. If it’s registered and doesn’t come across as a neighbour spat I think that each of the persons in authority that you have sent the data too will in very short order, if for no other reason than out a sense of “CYA” (career self preservation) act and return to you the right of quiet enjoyment of your property.

http://www.askthedogguy.com/aggressi...ng-cane-corso/

Last edited by motownnative; 12-29-2017 at 07:05 PM.. Reason: add link

Old 12-29-2017, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Of course it addresses backyard breeding. If your dog is spayed or neutered then you can't breed it. If you advertise puppies for sale, you are fined. It's not difficult to enforce existing laws. Many places do it and enforce it. There's no magic involved and no law is 100 percent enforced all the time.
Just because everyone doesn't stop at a traffic light, does it mean traffic lights shouldn't exist? Most of this is nothing more than common sense.
And yes, wandering dogs are the biggest problem so they are scrutinized when they are picked up by animal control. That's how many end up in animal shelters all over the country, by wandering.
Interesting. None of this mirrors the research I've done. How do you propose monitoring the online sale of dogs? Do most Southern/Midwestern communities have the resources for this?

Again--I am for attempts at curbing irresponsible breeding and overall more responsible pet ownership. The Amish, for example, have a horrible history of cruel dog breeding practices. But I am not quick to laud feel-good, sound-good legislation that I can't see actual results for particularly when it's breed-specific.

Old 12-29-2017, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Interesting. None of this mirrors the research I've done. How do you propose monitoring the online sale of dogs? Do most Southern/Midwestern communities have the resources for this?

Again--I am for attempts at curbing irresponsible breeding and overall more responsible pet ownership. The Amish, for example, have a horrible history of cruel dog breeding practices. But I am not quick to laud feel-good, sound-good legislation that I can't see actual results for particularly when it's breed-specific.
No matter. It's become obvious that regardless what the legislation is, you're going to fight it for whatever reason. There are a lot of back yard breeders out there just like you, and I'm not saying you breed dogs, I don't know.
I'm glad many people want common sense solutions to these problems rather than saying nothing can be done and not wanting anything to be done for whatever personal reasons they have. I'm also glad many towns and cities are enacting ordinances reducing the number of breeding pit bulls in their communities. You don't need to like it or agree with it, it's happening anyway.

Old 12-29-2017, 07:52 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,116,302 times
What if your dog seriously hurts someone, you get 10 years In prison?

Old 12-29-2017, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
What if your dog seriously hurts someone, you get 10 years In prison?
Someone in a near by community let their pits out to wander a couple of years ago. It's not certain if they got out on their own or if he let them out on purpose. He was a drug addict and dealer. They killed a 60 year old woman going for a walk.
The man was convicted of murder and is spending the rest of his life in jail.

Old 12-29-2017, 08:00 PM

Quote:
No matter. It's become obvious that regardless what the legislation is, you're going to fight it for whatever reason. There are a lot of back yard breeders out there just like you, and I'm not saying you breed dogs, I don't know.
I'm glad many people want common sense solutions to these problems rather than saying nothing can be done and not wanting anything to be done for whatever personal reasons they have. I'm also glad many towns and cities are enacting ordinances reducing the number of breeding pit bulls in their communities. You don't need to like it or agree with it, it's happening anyway.
LOL. Yes, I'm a backyard breeder. If that's what you got from this exchange, then there's really no point in continuing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies