Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 08:12 PM

3,187 posts, read 1,507,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
And just like that we're right back at page 1. It's like the previous 49 pages never happened. lol
+1 If there was a death every minute from this breed I am afraid Pit Bull's would still have defenders. That scares me.

I spent 15 long, hard years in rescue and if I didn't feel safe bringing a pit bull into my home for the safety of my own pets, how can I in good conscience support them being around children? Anyone really.

This is an interesting thing I noticed about this thread...I have not seen one PB defender express shock or disgust about the attacks or sympathy for the victims after 49 pages. The majority of victims are children or the elderly. They launch right into a defense of "The Breed"

I am sorry, but I am sure there are hardened criminals who would be shocked at the carnage PB's leave behind too.

Last edited by motownnative; 01-11-2018 at 08:45 PM..

Old 01-11-2018, 09:09 PM

8,204 posts, read 3,477,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motownnative View Post
+1 If there was a death every minute from this breed I am afraid Pit Bull's would still have defenders. That scares me.

I spent 15 long, hard years in rescue and if I didn't feel safe bringing a pit bull into my home for the safety of my own pets, how can I in good conscience support them being around children? Anyone really.

That is also an interesting thing I noticed about this thread...I have not seen one PB defender express shock, disgust or sympathy for the victims after 49 pages. The majority of victims are children or the elderly. They launch right into a defense of "The Breed"

I am sorry, but I am sure there are hardened criminals who would be shocked at the carnage PB's leave behind too.
Some people are really obsessed over their dogs. I had a former fake friend (long story) who had a daughter and son in law who had a doberman. She'd been around the doberman since it was a pup. The doberman attacked her grandson and scalped him, nearly killing him. Everyone in that family wanted the dog put down but her. She chose and defended that dog over her own grandson and actually was not concerned about the injuries like 'oh well he lived so it's all ok' and took the dog to her own home and kept it there where people came around. She said she had to be "fair" to the dog and look out for it. Didn't care about her own grandson. Finally, the family distracted her and got that dog and took him to a vet and had him put down. She was very upset about it. Then I found out that this dog had attacked her grandson couple times before that and she covered it up and hid it from everyone (lesser attacks) so that nothing would happen to the dog. She nearly got her grandson killed. That was one of the many things that led to the end of the friendship. I would've had that dog put down second it showed aggression towards my child or grandchild (if I ever had one). I don't know that the dog had any pitt in it, but it was obviously a dangerous dog and that woman was doing all she could to allow it to harm other people. I just can't be friends with someone like that. CPS even had been involved after they found out that she had covered up previous attacks on the baby (because she kept running her mouth) and it was either the dog or the baby. Everyone else was already choosing the baby before CPS got involved, and that woman still was going to hang onto the dog even if it meant her daughter lost her son forever. CPS was not going to allow them to bring the baby home until after they had proof the dog was gone and there was no chance it could get anywhere near the baby again. It was a big fiasco and I was glad to hear that her children went behind her back and had that dog put down before it could do even more damage. I would never have had anything to do with my mother again if she had done something that nearly killed my child like this woman did. It was a real eye opener to me about the real reason her kids keep getting upset at her. She was literally not even concerned about the baby but only that horrible dog.

Old 01-11-2018, 09:52 PM

3,187 posts, read 1,507,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
Some people are really obsessed over their dogs. I had a former fake friend (long story) who had a daughter and son in law who had a doberman. She'd been around the doberman since it was a pup. The doberman attacked her grandson and scalped him, nearly killing him. Everyone in that family wanted the dog put down but her. She chose and defended that dog over her own grandson and actually was not concerned about the injuries like 'oh well he lived so it's all ok' and took the dog to her own home and kept it there where people came around. She said she had to be "fair" to the dog and look out for it. Didn't care about her own grandson. Finally, the family distracted her and got that dog and took him to a vet and had him put down. She was very upset about it. Then I found out that this dog had attacked her grandson couple times before that and she covered it up and hid it from everyone (lesser attacks) so that nothing would happen to the dog. She nearly got her grandson killed. That was one of the many things that led to the end of the friendship. I would've had that dog put down second it showed aggression towards my child or grandchild (if I ever had one). I don't know that the dog had any pitt in it, but it was obviously a dangerous dog and that woman was doing all she could to allow it to harm other people. I just can't be friends with someone like that. CPS even had been involved after they found out that she had covered up previous attacks on the baby (because she kept running her mouth) and it was either the dog or the baby. Everyone else was already choosing the baby before CPS got involved, and that woman still was going to hang onto the dog even if it meant her daughter lost her son forever. CPS was not going to allow them to bring the baby home until after they had proof the dog was gone and there was no chance it could get anywhere near the baby again. It was a big fiasco and I was glad to hear that her children went behind her back and had that dog put down before it could do even more damage. I would never have had anything to do with my mother again if she had done something that nearly killed my child like this woman did. It was a real eye opener to me about the real reason her kids keep getting upset at her. She was literally not even concerned about the baby but only that horrible dog.
WOW...that story. That is awful what you described. That was an attack that could have killed a child. Hard to understand some people, isn't it? Sometimes it's a kindness to a dog to euthanize, seriously. If it's that bad, this is a frustrated, unhappy dog most times anyway.

On the other hand, I saw numerous times in my past rescue experience a parent possibly overreacting and sending a dog to the pound for an air snap with a kid or a minor bite. (I think some of the PB defenders are confusing this issue, which I am not) I grew up before helicopter parenting and even though I was never bit by my own dogs as a child I was bit by my friend's dogs, (minor - caused by rough housing or feeding them under the table) It was just some tears and band aid time. Also taught us kids how to behave around a dog better than our parents could. I know it's not PC to say today, but that may have SAVED us from an aggressive dog when alone as we grew to have a respect and fear of them.

What you described however needed a family intervention. Too bad no one could get through to her (this wasn't a "threat" the dog almost killed the kid!), but it's a good thing family stepped in, even if behind her back. My neighbor told me something similar in her family. Only person to adopt a Pit Bull in her family too. It attacked her sister's dog, there were many other biting issues (not territorial) that finally ended with the dog attacking her dad. They actually had an intervention over it to put the dog down before a pet or person got killed.

Thanks for sharing. I am thankful I have lived in the same rural area for 46 years and there are no dangerous dogs at least in my immediate area. I feel for some of the posters here carrying tasers, etc. in their own neighborhoods. It's not right.

Old 01-12-2018, 01:56 AM

6,115 posts, read 3,082,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Another uninformed thread about pit bulls. Goody gumdrops.

No one ever talks about all the other dogs that have bitten people. Doesn't make for glamorous and interesting headlines like "Pit Bulls Of Death Attacking Everyone, Everywhere, RUN! HIDE!"

Pit bulls are not the problem. Some of the people who own them as some kind of status symbol are part of the problem. People being stupid around dogs is the rest of the problem.

If you stick your face in a dog's face, you have a good chance of getting bit.
If you stick your fingers through the fence with a dog on the other side, you have a good chance of getting bit.
If you pull on a dog's ears, or tail, or legs, etc, you have a good chance of getting bit.
If you beat the snot out of a dog, there's a good chance that dog could bite someone later on.
If you don't train your dog, there's a good chance that you, or someone else, could get bit.
If you don't teach your kids about dogs and how to act around them, your kid's chances of being bit rise, dramatically.
If you don't understand dogs, how they view the world, (which is NOT like humans), and you do something stupid around the dog, you have a good chance of being bit.
If idiots do not keep their dogs under their control, and the dog has not been properly socialized, yep, there's a good chance that someone is going to get bit.

That people are still "shocked" by these facts illustrates just how stupid some people in this world actually are. Blaming everything on pit bulls is the lazy response. Figuring out exactly what happened, why it happened, who was in charge of the dog, how they treated the dog, etc is not easy, especially when it reveals that humans are stupid, as a whole.

Dogs act naturally. Humans do not. It's in humans' best interest to learn about animals so that these same humans can stop being stupid.

Here's a stupid human:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLVbXVDWEBA

How stupid do you have to be to sit there and let your baby keep poking at a dog that is growling at the kid? The dog was sending many messages, but stupid humans think it's "cute".

Here's another stupid family that allowed their baby to sit on and bounce on top of the family dog. This video shows you the warning signs that the idiotic parents missed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaxCYgqh2ao

These are stupid, stupid parents. That dog showed extreme patience, and they are lucky that dog was patient. Not all dogs are going to be that patient.

How many compilations can you find on YouTube, or on Facebook, of stupid parents allowing their kids to mess with their dogs? There's a lot of them, and it's a miracle that more people aren't bitten each year.

Here's some facts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evS8pRCWcs8

Now, here's Sir Patrick Stewart being "mauled" by a pit bull. I warn you, this video is "shocking":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUSY78Ipoig

This was a dog abused to be a fighting dog. Yet despite that, you don't see the dog act aggressively at all. He couldn't keep the dog because the UK bans pit bulls...because humans are stupid.

Here's another pit bull, mauling an innocent little kitten:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czhpQe-56qg

Pit bulls are not the problem. Stupid humans are the problem.
As someone stated above,

ALL pit bulls should be killed.

Old 01-12-2018, 02:53 AM

7,022 posts, read 4,885,827 times
Well, Three Wolves is right about one thing. A lot of parents really do let their kids maul the family dog around when they shouldn't. How many times have you heard a parent say something like, "Oh, Fido is so wonderful with the kids. They can pull his tail and his ears, and he never does a thing."?

Excuse me, why does any dog have to take that crap in the first place? If you have a kid who goes around pulling the tail and ears of the family dog, you have a child and discipline problem. Put those together with an unstable dog who can only take so much and you might have a dead kid.

I used to bring my Dobe into the laundromat when I went there (on leash and by my side). One night we were there and I had given him a chew stick. A woman with her two or three year old son came in and the first thing that kid did was walk up to where my dog was laying and chewing and hit him across the flank. That was so unexpected and quick I couldn't have prevented it. I told the child, LOUDLY, to leave the dog alone and of course, the child came back and tried to hit the dog again, at which point I put the dog in my car. Where was Mom? Watching and ignoring the whole thing.

No children deserve being bitten by any dog, but when they are, sometimes their parents deserve all the anguish they, the parents, go through because of it.

Old 01-12-2018, 05:53 AM

4,921 posts, read 7,686,508 times
Americans have been brainwashed to stand up for the underdogs. Pit bulls were a real underdog but some liberals set out to attempt to prove they are a wonderful dog and make great family pets. They failed! This breed is like having a bottle of nitro in your living room...you never know when it will go off. The real problem here is that pit bull protectors are placing an animal above human life.
American animal shelters are overloaded with pit bulls. This is mainly because of idiot people who buy them as puppies but when the dog shows it's true nature out they go and become the responsibility of people.
Ironically the main reason given for picking a pit bull is for a watch dog. The truth...criminals who were interviewed about dogs at one of their target homes said their biggest worry was the small terrier who was more alert and continual barking.
In many states you cannot buy homeowners insurance if you own certain breeds one being a pit bull. If it's protection you seek buy a Glock and a mini schnauzer.
If you are on a farm get a Great Pyrenees.

"Great Pyrenees. The Great Pyrenees dog breed's goal in life is to protect sheep, goats, livestock, people, children, grass, flowers, the moon, the lawn furniture, bird feeders, and any real or imaginary predators that may intrude on your personal space. Oh yeah, and to give, give, and give unconditional love."

"A Miniature Schnauzer makes a great watchdog, thanks to its alertness and persistent bark. The breed typically does fine with other pets, although smaller pets may be tempting to chase for the former rat-catching breed."

Old 01-12-2018, 10:43 AM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,149,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Another uninformed thread about pit bulls. Goody gumdrops.

No one ever talks about all the other dogs that have bitten people. Doesn't make for glamorous and interesting headlines like "Pit Bulls Of Death Attacking Everyone, Everywhere, RUN! HIDE!"

Pit bulls are not the problem. Some of the people who own them as some kind of status symbol are part of the problem. People being stupid around dogs is the rest of the problem.
Pit bulls are not the problem. Stupid humans are the problem.
Three Wolves, I feel that you've made this exact same post before in other pit bull threads.

Anyway, as I have stated before, my issue with pit bulls is two-fold.

First, that they can suddenly snap and attack without any provocation at all.

And secondly, very disturbing to me is that once they go into attack mode, they are impossible to pull off and calm down. And what dog owner wants to have to shoot or stab their pit bull to death in order to get them to stop mauling their victim????

Old 01-12-2018, 12:15 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,034,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
As someone stated above,

ALL pit bulls should be killed.
Luckily, you have no power, you're just another person ranting on the internet.

Signed,

me and my pitbull mix

Old 01-12-2018, 12:34 PM

19,717 posts, read 10,107,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
Luckily, you have no power, you're just another person ranting on the internet.

Signed,

me and my pitbull mix
I hope when your dog attacks someone, you are willing to take responsibility.

Old 01-12-2018, 12:43 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,034,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
I hope when your dog attacks someone, you are willing to take responsibility.
Sure thing. Can you tell me "when" that will be? I want to make sure I am free that day. Clearly, you seem to know my dog a lot better than I do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies