Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2017, 11:47 AM

89,006 posts, read 44,813,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
We went through this already when you argued that a flat tax would be the only way to fund a welfare state. You never really spelled that argument out, but whatevs.
It's the most prevalent way. Take a look at the percentage of European/Scandinavian countries' tax revenue that comes from their VAT taxes. Additionally, note that the middle class is in the top tax rate bracket right along with the top 1%.

Quote:
"Progressive" and "regressive" are relative terms in some cases. Sweden has a progressive tax, but their tax rates, plotted on a graph, would have a much flatter slope than the U.S.'s. Virtually everyone in Sweden pays a high rate of taxation, which is why their system of taxation is much more regressive than that of the U.S. It's in no way similar to the unrealistic wet dream of some American conservatives where the rich pay a far lower percentage in taxes than they currently pay.
No one said the rich should pay a lower tax rate than anyone else. A flat tax is the same tax rate. Just like a national VAT tax. Everyone should be paying the same income tax rate. And everyone should be paying the same national VAT tax rate. The VAT tax is how European/Scandinavian countries collect enough tax revenue to fund their programs. It captures an equally proportionate tax from those who have no earned income, or earn their income illicitly and therefore don't pay tax on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2017, 11:50 AM

20,102 posts, read 9,015,533 times
This Trump Presidency has turned into a financial juggernaut for all contributing Americans.

Old 12-27-2017, 12:09 PM

29,548 posts, read 9,716,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
WoW.

1 year of Trump and Americans are very very happy with direction of country.

Contrast that the first Christmas after Obama - disaster.

TRUMP EFFECT: RECORD HOLIDAY SALES NEAR $600 BILLION; Expert: Spending Pace Not Seen Since Great Recession

(meanwhile, Democrat message -> Americans are worse off)
Been away from this forum for awhile, traveling. Upon my return I notice this thread started by you who I know really can't consider otherwise, but...

For all of us, a very big problem for America are all the people who cannot properly "connect these dots" concerning who and/or what actually causes the likes; economic ups and downs, consumer confidence, inflation, bull versus bear markets. If you are going to credit the rooster's crow for the Sun rising, no doubt the reality about such things doesn't matter much. I've come to well know that in this forum any effort to better understand who deserves credit for what is not going to happen here.

"Been there. Done that." I know better than to waste more time trying...

However, for Americans to do better in terms of choosing our elected representatives, let alone our POTUS, and for us to better support public policy that actually helps Americans move forward rather than backwards, we need to better understand what is going on around us.

Take one example; the stock market record high. Obviously the bottom lines for corporations are improved when their tax rates are reduced. Doesn't take an economist to understand this, but also of course that's not the only reason the stock market is up, not by a long shot. Begin to understand what actually drives the equities markets and that bit of better understanding begins to pay big dividends (pun intended). I'm talking about the "dividends" that come from people not foolishly thinking we have Trump to thank, for example, rather than what is truly driving the markets right now.

More importantly, given the call to help average Americans, even if we are to credit Trump 100 percent for the higher stock values, how is the average American benefiting? How many? How many Americans have any investment in stocks? How much? Bother to answer these questions -- honestly -- bother to properly "connect those dots" and only then do we begin to better understand who is gaining and why, and who is not...

Add what Trump seems to think is a good idea, now during a time of economic upswing, to cut taxes even for the most wealthy highest income earning corporations and individuals, and indeed we shall see how the rich get still richer while the rest of Americans wonder why they end up further and further behind, still working too hard for too little. Sad to think how many Trump supporters who really do need help are actually getting the shaft. Over half of Americans have less than $1,000 in their savings account!

I wonder..., of the people commenting in this thread, how many have less than $1,000 in their savings account? I'll bet of those who represent over half of Americans, there are those among them who understand finance, economics, politics about as well as they understand what Trump is actually doing, and they are the most likely to spend more this holiday season -- with their credit card -- because they too also don't understand that eventually that credit card bill catches up with you!

So too will Trump's tax overhaul catch up with us, but not during his four years! Government policy doesn't work that fast! (Hint. Hint). Yet again we kick the can down the road for our children and theirs, while also of course making sure the folks making off with all the millions and billions are forever better advantaged to do so.

We're going from dumb to dumber...

Last edited by LearnMe; 12-27-2017 at 12:35 PM..

Old 12-27-2017, 12:14 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,624,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Been away from this forum for awhile, traveling...

Upon my return I notice this thread started by you who I know really can't consider otherwise, .
Can't say that I remember a single thing you have ever posted here, but if you feel you must start start a response with accusations of limited thinking, then that is probably why.

Ad hominem fallacy doesn't lend much to be remembrance.

Old 12-27-2017, 12:16 PM

2,828 posts, read 824,786 times
Quote:
WoW.

1 year of Trump and Americans are very very happy with direction of country.

Contrast that the first Christmas after Obama - disaster.

TRUMP EFFECT: RECORD HOLIDAY SALES NEAR $600 BILLION; Expert: Spending Pace Not Seen Since Great Recession

(meanwhile, Democrat message -> Americans are worse off)
Awesome! Thank You Mr. Trump

Old 12-27-2017, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Can't say that I remember a single thing you have ever posted here, but if you feel you must start start a response with accusations of limited thinking, then that is probably why.

Ad hominem fallacy doesn't lend much to be remembrance.
If you can consider otherwise, I would love to read some proof, because I have never read any thread started by you or any comment made by you that suggests otherwise. Take any part of my comment, besides that observation, for example, and explain if you agree and why, or not. If you want to claim a fallacy, prove it.

I think some call it the "proof in the pudding."

Old 12-27-2017, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgh guy View Post
awesome! Thank you mr. Trump
1 + 1 does not equal 3!

Old 12-27-2017, 12:43 PM

8,383 posts, read 4,366,655 times
We also won the revolutionary war because Trump is president.

Old 12-27-2017, 02:07 PM

32,101 posts, read 34,714,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
It goes back further than that. Clinton, Cisneros, and Cuomo set the stage for the 2008 financial crisis. Here's what REALLY happened, complete with links to the Federal Reserve's H.4.1s:

Why the Federal Reserve had to create $2 trillion in new money (QE) to bail out Fannie and Freddie, and why $1.77 trillion of that still hasn't been paid back
From a brief web search, it's apparent that "your" analysis is nearly entirely lifted from Peter Wallison and the American Enterprise Institute.

Old 12-27-2017, 02:10 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,624,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
...Take any part of my comment, besides that observation, for example, and explain if you agree and why, or not. If you want to claim a fallacy, prove it.
I stop reading when you start with the personal attacks. Responses based on logic & fact don't require it and we don't want it here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies