Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2018, 08:29 AM
Status: "Moldy Tater Gangrene, even before Moscow Marge." (set 1 day ago)

5,790 posts, read 3,599,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
I don't know anyone who "blames" a woman's clothing.

But there's a lot of people who can't seem to differentiate between the concepts of "inviting" sexual harassment and "attracting" it.

Just because a woman dresses in a skimpy outfit doesn't mean that she's "inviting" harassment......but that doesn't mean that dressing provocatively doesn't "attract" attention that may or may not be wanted.

Sure, you can say that men should be able to control themselves...... and you'd be right.

But that mentality flies in the face of reality that some men will choose not to control their behavior, and the reality that when you put your goods on display, you can't pick and choose who is going to look them over.

A bit of common sense goes a long way.
Explaining it away as "Inability to control their own behavior" is inherently victim-blaming, no matter how much it implicates the harasser along with it. It implies that people should be scolded for simply dressing how they want or being themselves. It also assumes that people who don't adhere to traditional societal norms deserve whatever disrespect or dismissal they get, even when that breach doesn't hurt or demean anyone else. Bad news, sometimes human cultural norms and conventions do need to change in order to have a less unfair and unjust society. In this case, two of them: (1) that men should seek out every sexual opportunity they have, and (2) women shouldn't dress "sexy". The sooner we as a society ditch those cultural attiudes, the better off all of us will be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2018, 08:38 AM

23,550 posts, read 17,227,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I suppose it's always easier to blame and shame others instead of learning self control and acting respectfully and professionally at all times.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/peop...132000109.html

And this
Social justice activists endorse physical violence if you say a banned word or have an NRA sticker on your vehicle's window. the same people who banned kids wearing tee shirts with American flags. Same as blaming a victim for how she dresses, except with twist of hypocrisy when it supports their narrative.

Old 03-08-2018, 08:44 AM

19,632 posts, read 12,226,539 times
I don't understand modern women's fashion which extends to the workplace. Much of it is purely designed to be sexy, show skin, be very form fitting, low cut, short. I think it would be difficult NOT to look if you were a guy, or even a woman, particularly if the woman wearing it is very attractive and shapely. You just notice that, and I have seen guys not know where to look and get embarrassed when some coworker exposes her bare cleavage in a tight low cut top. It is actually kind of mean.

Once years ago I wore a short skirt to work to change up an outfit. That is all it took to get those looks from male coworkers, one of them touched my thigh when he was talking to me about a project, another one said something under his breath, like "hey now" when I walked past. I told my male friend at work about it and he understood and kind of laughed at my naivety. Longer skirts and slacks from then on.

Old 03-08-2018, 08:53 AM

1,316 posts, read 748,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
In today's environment the phrase "He made me feel uncomfortable" is enough to get HR to start processing your termination papers.

If you wear a piece of clothing that you bought because it was "sexy", don't be surprised if people look at you "sexually".
There are a lot of things that HR must investigate if they are notified of something. But an investigation is NOT the same as termination. I have been an officer in my union and have known of MANY such investigations that found nothing to support a claim, and there was no termination. Very, very few have resulted in termination.

Old 03-08-2018, 08:57 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Apparently some are confused and have different opinions on what a compliment is. It should be obvious though. And I have see that behavior, personally, even in the workplace.
Ive seen that kind of thing in the workplace quite often to be honest, not so aggressive and direct as grabbing themselves and hollering about how great their chest looks in that outfit, but more subtle compliments to their figure.

Its not offensive to ALL women either, some good female friends of mine actually like this kind of attention, even if its from a stranger they have never met, but other female friends of mine would not care for it at all, its going to vary from person to person.

Old 03-08-2018, 08:58 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,111,393 times
Teach your boys to keep their damned hands to themselves - period.

Old 03-08-2018, 09:15 AM

2,528 posts, read 1,657,253 times
I had a russian colleague at work. A very hot 24 years old girl, fresh of the boat. I'm russian speaking also.
One day we went to eat something and she asked me straight in the face: Am I ugly?
I looked at her and told her that she is very very hot and gorgeous. And she asked: So why nobody at the office is asking me out?
And I told her that people are afraid. She said something nasty about american men ("they are no men anymore") and I just took her number and gave it to a friend of mine, russian speaking also.

Old 03-08-2018, 09:38 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Ive seen that kind of thing in the workplace quite often to be honest, not so aggressive and direct as grabbing themselves and hollering about how great their chest looks in that outfit, but more subtle compliments to their figure.

Its not offensive to ALL women either, some good female friends of mine actually like this kind of attention, even if its from a stranger they have never met, but other female friends of mine would not care for it at all, its going to vary from person to person.

Right. I had a male co worker, we were friends, I was friends with his wife, we would all go out for drinks sometimes, but he liked to do those things, like make off hand comments about my clothes, body, age, etc. (and I didn't dress skimpy or sexy), stare at my boobs and point out if my nipples were apparent, but it was mostly to aggravate me and It was all in jest. No one got offended. Another female co worker once cut out paper nipples and taped them to her breasts and went to his office on business to get his reaction. I also began to stare at his crotch when he was talking to me. He admitted it made him uncomfortable.
Anyway no one took offense to some of the shenanigans that you couldn't get away with today, but no one crossed that line either.

We did have two incidents where a male client put hands on a female employee and a female employee put hands on another male employee and the boss had to step in and set things straight.
He also had to say something to two employees, one male, one female, about showing skin and discuss what is appropriate office attire.

Old 03-08-2018, 01:17 PM

1,704 posts, read 749,375 times
Sex is a very important aspect of the lives of most people. It's one of the most exciting and consoling events of human endeavor. I guess we're all programmed that way in order to procreate and continue our species. It's all hard-wired into our animalistic primate circuitry.

Males want to do it! Females want to do it! All the birds and bees want to do it! We spend much of our lives working to place food on the table and a roof over our heads. Other than casual entertainment, most of the time remaing after such work is related to either sex or a result of having sex.

We are then left with tending to the wants and needs of our spouse or children, or we're shopping.

It goes without saying, that women shop much more than men. They mostly purchase clothing. The more disposable cash they have, the more clothes they purchase. Most of the clothing they purchase, revolves around sex!..... Why?

Because just like men, they too want to have sex! They want to look attractive to men and they want to have sex with a man! They therefore, dress in order to atttact a man.

Furthermore, it doesn't stop there! Once a woman has her man, she continues to desire sexual attention from men. For some reason, she generally continues to thrive upon looking attractive or "sexy"...

In most women, this desire to both look and feel attractive to men never really abandons them.

In general, most women all over the world want to look desirable to most men. However, they do feel as though they have the right to select the most appropriate suiter that matches their tastes at any given moment.

It truly IS then (as it should be), their world when it comes to sex!

Last edited by zeliner; 03-08-2018 at 01:27 PM..

Old 03-08-2018, 02:28 PM

1,316 posts, read 748,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeliner View Post
Sex is a very important aspect of the lives of most people. It's one of the most exciting and consoling events of human endeavor. I guess we're all programmed that way in order to procreate and continue our species. It's all hard-wired into our animalistic primate circuitry.

Males want to do it! Females want to do it! All the birds and bees want to do it! We spend much of our lives working to place food on the table and a roof over our heads. Other than casual entertainment, most of the time remaing after such work is related to either sex or a result of having sex.

We are then left with tending to the wants and needs of our spouse or children, or we're shopping.

It goes without saying, that women shop much more than men. They mostly purchase clothing. The more disposable cash they have, the more clothes they purchase. Most of the clothing they purchase, revolves around sex!..... Why?

Because just like men, they too want to have sex! They want to look attractive to men and they want to have sex with a man! They therefore, dress in order to atttact a man.

Furthermore, it doesn't stop there! Once a woman has her man, she continues to desire sexual attention from men. For some reason, she generally continues to thrive upon looking attractive or "sexy"...

In most women, this desire to both look and feel attractive to men never really abandons them.

In general, most women all over the world want to look desirable to most men. However, they do feel as though they have the right to select the most appropriate suiter that matches their tastes at any given moment.

It truly IS then (as it should be), their world when it comes to sex!
Yes, every morning I rise, wondering what I can do to attract a man. Will it be the blue sweater? The gray slacks? The print dress? I should ask all the men to choose, since I certainly don't dress to please myself! It doesn't matter that I'm married (happily) and have no desire whatsoever to attract other men, that is why I buy what I buy, and why I wear what I wear.

That is the most insulting, ridiculous, disgusting, inane string of claptrap I've read today. I guarantee you, I spend ZERO time trying to figure out how to look cute for all the men in my workplace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies