Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 10:06 PM

20,628 posts, read 8,393,143 times

Advertisements

I suspect a lot of the exhibitionists would be very upset if they were ignored. Probably find a way to shame men for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2018, 10:31 PM

30,490 posts, read 17,945,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
I suspect a lot of the exhibitionists would be very upset if they were ignored. Probably find a way to shame men for it.
I recall when Lena Dunham getting upset that Odell Beckham Jr. didn't pay her the time of day: https://www.buzzfeed.com/stephaniemc...NKQ#.gooMYqjYv

Old 03-10-2018, 01:51 PM

1,316 posts, read 740,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeliner View Post
However, if your husband should ever suddenly find you unattractive, you would wonder why. Most women would make attempts to become more sexually appealing to their spouses.

Then if all attempts fail, depression and unhappiness soon prevail. There would seemingly be an unending cloud of darkness and doom overshadowing your life.

Eventually you would rebound and pursue other interests. For some people, the collapse of a once perceived blossoming romantic relationship is just too devastating to endure. They will then either overcome their depression, or slip into eternal psychological ruin. Some even commit suicide!

We all wish to maintain our deeply valued romantic relationships. We all want to be admired and have mutually satisfying sexual relationships and most of us are willing to do whatever it takes to maintain them.

Of course if it doesn't work, we usually move on to perhaps the next suiter....

We're always in pursuit of a greater degree of happiness. Needless to say, to be romantically content is one of the best kinds of happiness.....

The point is not so much that you'd desire to look cute for all the men at your workplace, as it is that most women want to look and feel that they're attractive to the opposite sex in general.

Otherwise, what's with the obsession with all the lotion, makeup, and fashion?
Eventually I'd recover? This is so shallow. My husband & I have been together almost 30 years. Neither of us looks the same, but we live one another deeply. Hes been with me through the birth of two children. My body is not the same. But he still finds me attractive and I still find him attractive, but that is NOT the basis of our relationship. See, I'm not worried I will become unattractive to him because he loves ME not just my rack or my behind. Me.

Every day I decide what I want to wear based on what I want to wear. That's really it. If I have an important presentation, I want to feel powerful, so that's how I dress. For myself.

Old 03-10-2018, 01:57 PM

5,438 posts, read 5,915,637 times
If a woman 100 years ago wore the types of clothes, or lack thereof, that women wear today, people would just assume she was a harlot.

Old 03-10-2018, 03:36 PM

1,704 posts, read 743,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebeemi View Post
Eventually I'd recover? This is so shallow. My husband & I have been together almost 30 years. Neither of us looks the same, but we live one another deeply. Hes been with me through the birth of two children. My body is not the same. But he still finds me attractive and I still find him attractive, but that is NOT the basis of our relationship. See, I'm not worried I will become unattractive to him because he loves ME not just my rack or my behind. Me.

Every day I decide what I want to wear based on what I want to wear. That's really it. If I have an important presentation, I want to feel powerful, so that's how I dress. For myself.
Alright, so then we're both members of AARP or close to it!

However, when we were both in our youth, things were quite different. We were both very much alive, vibrant, and sexually charged. In our youth, hormones were raging and sex was of a much greater significance than it is today.

I can assure you, a woman's rack and behind are of greater focus, the younger they present themselves to the public. Most guys aren't trying to checkout a lady's rack who's in her fifties, sixties, or beyond.

However, most guys in their sixties who are still hanging around, do indeed checkout the older women. We just do it with greater subtlety than the younger guys!

BTW

Congratulations to the two of you for a most successful marriage!

Old 03-10-2018, 03:53 PM

4,513 posts, read 2,494,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
Just shut your mouth and move along. Why do you feel it's necessary to offer a "compliment?"
A really good looking guy compliments a woman on her appearance=flattery

A homely looking guy compliments a woman on her appearance=harassment.
Or put another way, if a guy the woman would like to date/hook up with does it it's ok.

If a guy the woman wouldn't like to date does it, they scream harassment.

But the woman dresses to get attention. How she reacts depends on how attractive the man doing it is.

That's why you don't see many women in pick up bars dressed in sweats and no makeup...look at what they wear...
(and before you get nasty and call me a male pig...I'm a woman. One that most would consider very attractive. I'm just braved enough to admit what women do, and call out the hypersensitive feminists that want to scream harassment, just because a man hits on someone dressed in a manner that encourages it.
There are men that will catcall any pretty girl walking by no matter how they are dressed, and that's inappropriate. But wearing tight clothes, low cut tops, braless, IS encouraging attention and it's stupid, disingenuous or naive to deny it. If you don't want to be treated as a sex object, don't dress like one.

Old 03-10-2018, 04:27 PM

10,048 posts, read 6,329,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeliner View Post
However, if your husband should ever suddenly find you unattractive, you would wonder why. Most women would make attempts to become more sexually appealing to their spouses.

Then if all attempts fail, depression and unhappiness soon prevail. There would seemingly be an unending cloud of darkness and doom overshadowing your life.

Eventually you would rebound and pursue other interests. For some people, the collapse of a once perceived blossoming romantic relationship is just too devastating to endure. They will then either overcome their depression, or slip into eternal psychological ruin. Some even commit suicide!

We all wish to maintain our deeply valued romantic relationships. We all want to be admired and have mutually satisfying sexual relationships and most of us are willing to do whatever it takes to maintain them.

Of course if it doesn't work, we usually move on to perhaps the next suiter....

We're always in pursuit of a greater degree of happiness. Needless to say, to be romantically content is one of the best kinds of happiness.....

The point is not so much that you'd desire to look cute for all the men at your workplace, as it is that most women want to look and feel that they're attractive to the opposite sex in general.

Otherwise, what's with the obsession with all the lotion, makeup, and fashion?
Sorry, but most professional women really want to look, um, professional in the workplace - not cute or hot. I had to brief Admirals, Commanders, and Marine Corps Generals on sensitive topics - I certainly didn't want to do so looking like some kind of Barbie doll. I dressed in a mature, professional manner to do so. When I got home, I changed into clothes that pleased my husband in other ways. And I always dressed up to the nines if we were going out to dine or to the theater or a dance.

Oh, btw, since my husband died ten years ago, there has been no "unending cloud of darkness and doom overshadowing" my life, even though I've been without a romantic partner. Nor have I slipped "into eternal psychological ruin". I've survived and thrived. I miss him, but life is good on my own. "Life" doesn't begin or end with a man in it.

Old 03-10-2018, 05:48 PM

1,704 posts, read 743,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Sorry, but most professional women really want to look, um, professional in the workplace - not cute or hot. I had to brief Admirals, Commanders, and Marine Corps Generals on sensitive topics - I certainly didn't want to do so looking like some kind of Barbie doll. I dressed in a mature, professional manner to do so. When I got home, I changed into clothes that pleased my husband in other ways. And I always dressed up to the nines if we were going out to dine or to the theater or a dance.

Oh, btw, since my husband died ten years ago, there has been no "unending cloud of darkness and doom overshadowing" my life, even though I've been without a romantic partner. Nor have I slipped "into eternal psychological ruin". I've survived and thrived. I miss him, but life is good on my own. "Life" doesn't begin or end with a man in it.

Chances are, things would have been perceived quite differently, had your husband died when you were in your prime. Most young women crave both sex and romance.

Also, most women of all ages would prefer having a good man in their lives than not....

BTW

There's a difference between your husband leaving you due to death, as opposed to abandoning you because he no longer holds your interests at heart.

Both events cast shadows, but in quite different ways.
One way is NOT accompanied by rejection...

And - Of course, one should always dress appropriately, dependent upon the occasion.

Last edited by zeliner; 03-10-2018 at 06:04 PM..

Old 03-12-2018, 10:44 AM

35,984 posts, read 30,513,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottednikes View Post
A really good looking guy compliments a woman on her appearance=flattery

A homely looking guy compliments a woman on her appearance=harassment.
Or put another way, if a guy the woman would like to date/hook up with does it it's ok.

If a guy the woman wouldn't like to date does it, they scream harassment.

But the woman dresses to get attention. How she reacts depends on how attractive the man doing it is.

That's why you don't see many women in pick up bars dressed in sweats and no makeup...look at what they wear...
(and before you get nasty and call me a male pig...I'm a woman. One that most would consider very attractive. I'm just braved enough to admit what women do, and call out the hypersensitive feminists that want to scream harassment, just because a man hits on someone dressed in a manner that encourages it.
There are men that will catcall any pretty girl walking by no matter how they are dressed, and that's inappropriate. But wearing tight clothes, low cut tops, braless, IS encouraging attention and it's stupid, disingenuous or naive to deny it. If you don't want to be treated as a sex object, don't dress like one.

Single men and women in the market for a mate strut their stuff. That's no secret. All creatures do it. That does not mean they want or must accept unwanted advancements or sexual harassment. Again, true of all creatures, well most of them. And most creatures know that if their advancement is rejected to move on. Just because one is fluffing their tail feathers does not mean they must accept the first to come a long. It means I got your attention now let me see if you suit my fancy. This is the way it is and it has been encouraged since the beginnings.

Of course there are those, male and female, who cross that line. Its not acceptable. You are not entitled just because someone is fluffing their tail feathers and you are not a victim because someone noticed you and stepped up to see if they met your fancy.

Old 03-12-2018, 10:59 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,579,768 times
To blame what a woman is wearing is having your mind in the dark ages. What a woman wears has no relevance w/ a sexual harasser, abuser or rapist. It's about control, not sex. Geez. Nuns get raped and everyone in between.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies