Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2017, 05:04 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times

Advertisements

it depends on what happens next year. if the people dont see the larger paychecks, etc. then they will not be returning their reps or senators to congress now will they? it also depends on if their elected officials continue to get things done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2017, 05:05 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
Better question is what Blue States that flipped to Trump will also flip to Republican representatives.

Old 12-26-2017, 05:06 PM

25,575 posts, read 17,286,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
What does a blue state Republican do when their party just created a one party tax plan designed to target blue states and colleges? Do they tell the blue state "Sorry, but re-elect me so I can make it even worse"?

Really looking forward to seeing Republicans in blue states trying to run for re-election after this.
I know it's hard when you are paranoid, but try:
The tax plan was not "designed to target blue states".

80% of all people will get a tax break. As I said, I know it's hard.....

52,431 posts, read 26,628,813 times
Let's see.
  • 100% of Democrats voted to keep high taxes.
The question should be. How many Democrats will lose their seats?

23,795 posts, read 13,261,787 times
Quote:
What does a blue state Republican do when their party just created a one party tax plan designed to target blue states and colleges? Do they tell the blue state "Sorry, but re-elect me so I can make it even worse"?

Really looking forward to seeing Republicans in blue states trying to run for re-election after this.
I think it depends on how they voted. Some of the blue state republicans voted no on the tax bill. I think in general, they will have a rough time. A lot of Trump voters in blue states are getting screwed and seem rather nonplussed about how that could possibly happen.

Old 12-26-2017, 05:07 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
I mean - some blue state Republicans voted against the tax bill, no? I just assumed they did. Plus, it's a transfer of wealth from some wealthy blue states to some poor red states.

16,759 posts, read 8,214,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Perhaps now that they cant deduct their high state and local taxes, they will focus more on electing state and local politicians that are more likely to lower their state and local taxes.

It would be stupid to elect politicians that want to raise taxes now. But I never underestimate the stupidity of blue state voters, so, it could go either way.
You forget that with even less Federal dollars coming back local real estate taxes will be going up. Thanks again GOP.

With less Federal tax dollars coming back State taxes will be going up.

States and counties have to pay their bills. With lower Federal tax dollars you will see a rise in their taxes.

Thanks again GOP

30,419 posts, read 20,306,967 times
Quote:

They should have no problem.

I would ask you, how many seats have the Democrats lost since Obamacare was passed, a "one party health insurance plan," that was a total failure, and one that no one could afford?

People aren't going to vote against there increased income. The economy is booming. Why would they want to go back to Obama's policies? The Democrats voted against their own constituents best interests.

Old 12-26-2017, 05:11 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,713,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
Zero. Blue state Red voters aren’t going to suddenly vote Blue over a larger paycheck.
We'll see if they do - California, New York and New Jersey will be hit the hardest by the GOP Tax Plan and between the three states, they have 28 Republicans that may be kicked to the curb because of this. Add Illinois, that's another 7, Virginia another 7, it starts adding up. Their party literally voted to use the tax plan to target blue states and colleges.

On tax bill, blue-state Republicans prioritize donors over reform | TheHill

Old 12-26-2017, 05:12 PM

57,288 posts, read 26,206,502 times
They will see their paycheck withholding in February, I don’t see a lot of excitement over $20, by the time November 2018 rolls around they will have a good idea what this means. I don’t see a ground swell of middle class people voting one way or the other based on this, but I can sure see support from the top few percent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies