Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2017, 05:20 PM

57,232 posts, read 26,172,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
If the Laffer Curve is correct, then why did the Gipper have to raise taxes multiple times?
Every time I ask that question it goes unanswered, good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2017, 05:21 PM

18,458 posts, read 15,236,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
You forget that with even less Federal dollars coming back local real estate taxes will be going up. Thanks again GOP.

With less Federal tax dollars coming back State taxes will be going up.

States and counties have to pay their bills. With lower Federal tax dollars you will see a rise in their taxes.

Thanks again GOP
In NJ taxes would have been going up anyway because we just elected a democratic governor who campaigned on raising taxes. Now they will be compounded with the new tax plan, but voters won’t discern how much of that is because of the new tax plan and how much of it is because of Governor Murphy.

Unless he changes his plan to raise taxes, Murphy will take all the heat. Blue NJ often elects republican governors, and the reason is invariably because the taxes are too high...even for blue voters.

Old 12-26-2017, 05:21 PM

11,988 posts, read 5,289,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
The tax cuts will result in increased Federal revenue. It always works that way. Why, you ask? Simple. More jobs equals more taxpayers paying taxes. More businesses increasing profits, means more corporate taxes despite lowering the tax rate. The U.S. will now be competitive with our foreign competition, meaning jobs won't be lost to foreign countries.

I could never understand why Democrats can't understand that, even when we have historical evidence that it works.

Raising taxes does not improve the economy. It stifles it. That was the mistake Obama made. There was no "recovery," unless you call < 3% growth a "recovery."
It’s the consensus of most of the country’s top economists that the tax cut will do more harm than good.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...-plan-igm-poll

Old 12-26-2017, 05:22 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,851,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
What does a blue state Republican do when their party just created a one party tax plan designed to target blue states and colleges? Do they tell the blue state "Sorry, but re-elect me so I can make it even worse"?

Really looking forward to seeing Republicans in blue states trying to run for re-election after this.
Show proof blue states were targeted. I'd really like to know what makes the blues states so similar that they all get hurt by the tax plan which saves most people money.

you wont answer though.

Old 12-26-2017, 05:23 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,976,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Seems to me those states have been passing the tax burden to other states.

We all play by the same rules. Maybe they will take a look at how they tax on the state level.
LOL Another one who doesn't know (or pretends it's untrue) that states like my own give more to the federal government than they get in return. Keep dreaming, man. And keep denying it.

Most people in red states couldn't afford to live in my state even if they wanted to (insert lame deflective joke about how no one wants to live in NJ anyway, because I've never heard that one before, and also because we aren't the most densely populated state in the country with the 11th highest population despite being the 4th smallest state by area or anything).

Old 12-26-2017, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
It’s the consensus of most of the country’s top economists that the tax cut will do more harm than good.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...-plan-igm-poll
Because spending isn't cut.

Old 12-26-2017, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
LOL Another one who doesn't know (or pretends it's untrue) that states like my own give more to the federal government than they get in return. Keep dreaming, man. And keep denying it.

Most people in red states couldn't afford to live in my state even if they wanted to (insert lame deflective joke about how no one wants to live in NJ anyway, because I've never heard that one before, and also because we aren't the most dense state in the country with the 11th highest population despite being the 4th smallest state by area or anything).
Yet you have no proof.

Old 12-26-2017, 05:27 PM

18,458 posts, read 15,236,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post

Most people in red states couldn't afford to live in my state even if they wanted to (insert lame deflective joke about how no one wants to live in NJ anyway, because I've never heard that one before, and also because we aren't the most dense state in the country with the 11th highest population despite being the 4th smallest state by area or anything).
You might want to change that to “most densely populated”, or the urge to make a NJ joke might even be too much for ME to resist. And I love NJ.

Old 12-26-2017, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Yet you have no proof.
The proof has been posted time and time again on threads, especially recently with all the talk about this tax plan. People ignore the proof. Delusional ignorants in their own little worlds. I won't waste my time any longer on it.

Old 12-26-2017, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
You might want to change that to “most densely populated”, or the urge to make a NJ joke might even be too much for ME to resist. And I love NJ.
LOL I will but people know what I mean (yet will pretend they don't - kind of like the states like ours give more than they get back thing).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies