Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2017, 07:17 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times

Advertisements

In 2009 we were assured the city people would come and raid the farms for food. People were told to buy guns, ammo and canned food to survive. Guess what? It didn't happen. It was all Glenn Beck, and other RW nonsense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2017, 10:33 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,607,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Agreed on this.

Numbers have traditionally been fudged in both directions. My perception is that the fudging has trended toward representing less crime lately because nobody wants to be "that city" where crime is getting out of control in an era of perceived decline.
If you are talking about Los Angeles, this is actually documented concerning certain types of crime, admittedly categories in which reporting is always incomplete due to people involved in illegal activity being loath to report assaults and robberies. And in a city with so many people involved in illegal activity...

(Other cities, of course, are different.)

This is yet another reason why homicide numbers are the only accurate indications of overall crime levels.

Quote:
Just like the homeless numbers here in L.A.

I still think they're being conservative in their estimates even though their announced numbers show a virtual homeless explosion.

Nothing but my own bias and perception on that one too...or the fact that the homeless are now literally freaking everywhere.

You are correct about homelessness in Los Angeles, mainly because it is very difficult to get an accurate count.

Old 12-27-2017, 10:34 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,607,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Heroin addiction has led to an increase in crime. And I'm seeing more homeless people in suburbia. I think that's tied to heroin addiction but also the family unit seems to be weakening. You have a problem child or a shaky marriage and you just bail or kick them out and it falls apart.
That is true.

Old 12-27-2017, 11:01 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Numbers have traditionally been fudged in both directions. My perception is that the fudging has trended toward representing less crime lately because nobody wants to be "that city" where crime is getting out of control in an era of perceived decline.
reporting of felonies is prone to error and manipulation but seldom for political reasons because that would require altering data on submitted reports or ensuring that all Officers engaged in collusion to falsify the classification of a crime. Here are a few of the common reasons for under reporting part one felonies (and yes I did work in LE for 26 years)
  • Officer at the scene doesn't know how to classify the crime, this most often occurs in mutual combat or domestic violence calls where the crime should be reported as a felony assault but isn't.
  • Detectives will downgrade assigned cases to avoid having to work them, otherwise they have to close or clear every case with an explanation.
  • Records clerks inputting crime reports have to fill in blanks left by Officers and without knowledge of the incident will sometimes misclassify crimes

LAPD seems to be plagued with reporting problems, so much so that a civilian review board had an independent audit conducted, and they found thousands of misclassified reports, but in spite of the errors, the auditor concluded that:

"The number of misclassified crimes was not large enough to alter the overall crime trends reported by the department from one year to the next, which included a steady drop in violence until 2014, when the crime rate began to climb. Bustamante's report echoes the findings of a Times analysis in October that also concluded the department misclassified thousands of crimes during an eight-year period ending in 2012."

Old 12-27-2017, 11:10 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
If New York City and Los Angeles and their huge drop in homicide rates are taken out of equation, crime rates are likely very likely near the levels of the early 1990s especially considering the advances in medical treatment over the years.
I would ask for a citation

But you and I both know that you made this up out of thin air.

Old 12-27-2017, 02:23 PM

408 posts, read 215,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
Cities are scary! Better hide in the hills and cling to your guns! Crime only happens in the inner city, it could never happen in rural America.
Over 60% of murder occurs in just 2% of US counties and those counties are urban. Even in those 2% of counties, murder is concentrated in pockets within them.

Here is a map of the USA by county, shaded for murder rate. Murder is predominately urban and effects minorities; suicide is rural and predominately effects Whites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
Meanwhile in reality, I happily live my life in Milwaukee. I don't fear walking anywhere I need to go.
Cool story bro. See that little spot of dark red in Wisconsin, sitting on the shore of Lake Michigan in the map above? Yeah, that's Milwaukee.

America’s 25 murder capitals: Milwaukee has 10th highest murder rate of any American city | FOX6Now.com

//www.city-data.com/crime/crime...Wisconsin.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies