Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2017, 03:40 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,486,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
That's where kids from our school district went when they couldn't be admitted anywhere else (UIUC, Michigan, Wisconsin, etc.).

Quality means everything.
^^^^Trumpists can also be condescending and elitist.

Old 12-29-2017, 03:42 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,038,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridarebel View Post
It's funny how college folks think you have to go to college to learn stuff. All you have to is Google things. You can learn anything by Google. I've learned more by researching things on my own and surfing around on the internet than I ever did in school.
And how convenient, to never have to deal with anyone ever tell you that you are doing something incorrectly, or to have a long-held belief challenged, or to be exposed to anything you aren't actively seeking yourself!

Old 12-29-2017, 03:45 PM

89,018 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galvatron99 View Post
It is a Tier 2 college, that is all im going to say..
That explains a lot. Tier 2 schools might as well be high school. Remedial.

Old 12-29-2017, 03:47 PM

5,900 posts, read 3,900,192 times
Quote:
It's funny how college folks think you have to go to college to learn stuff. All you have to is Google things. You can learn anything by Google. I've learned more by researching things on my own and surfing around on the internet than I ever did in school.
Florida Rebels don't go to college.

Old 12-29-2017, 03:47 PM

89,018 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
^^^^Trumpists can also be condescending and elitist.
Not me. I don't rank universities. Other organizations do, for good reason.

Old 12-29-2017, 03:48 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,486,570 times
Quote:
That explains a lot. Tier 2 schools might as well be high school. Remedial.
Snap!

Old 12-29-2017, 03:48 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,930,400 times
Quote:

Patently false.

Can you learn chemistry by reading a textbook, watching videos online and taking the MIT open course classes online for free? Yes.

Can you learn enough chemistry online to actually become a chemist? Absolutely, 100% friggin not. I don't care how much you read and study online, many fields of study require thousands of hours of experience in a university setting to become pro-level in. For years I also studied chemistry and was a professional chemist. Never failed a chemistry exam in my life. It is much different when you have to perform chromatography to purify a protein or a molecule in real life. If that doesn't work, it takes years of practice and hands on experience learning how to look at a molecule and say 'if I use x, y, z solvents this will probably recrystallize' and not only that, learning how to agitate and scratch the flask correctly so that your product comes out 99.99% pure like in Breaking Bad. You can watch all of the youtube videos and read all of the safety materials about a reagent like tert-butyl lithium all you want, but it will absolutely 100% never, ever substitute for actually handling the material in real life and not killing yourself in the process of doing it.

You can read about all the theory you want about a technique like nuclear magnetic resonance and do all of the homework problems online, but it took me years of hands on experience at a university to learn how to get some things to dissolve so that you get a good spectra, tricks from other more experienced people at a university to get rid of water, and how to properly shim/tune/and lock a NMR (a piece of equipment that can cost millions of dollars). Even interpreting the data is something that requires years of experience rather than just reading about in a text book. What textbook and online material do you consult when you take a NMR of a brand new never discovered protein? What if you have to invent a brand new technique?

You'd be surprised just how much a university education can be almost exactly like learning a trade in many fields. Applied physics, chemistry, biology, etc.......it is all like learning a hands on trade in many regards. It'd be impossible to also land a job in those fields without a degree, because a degree is something tangible to prove that yeah, you actually do have a significant amount of experience in.

Can I learn to become an electrician or plumber by watching every single video under the sun on youtube about plumbing and how to wire up a house? Probably not.

Old 12-29-2017, 03:49 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Quote:
LOL -- this is funny. I bet you googled that right?

(and yes I'm a big fan of google but no -- you can't learn as much on google as you can at university -- you just can't -- lololol).

Old 12-29-2017, 04:25 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
That's where kids from our school district went when they couldn't be admitted anywhere else (UIUC, Michigan, Wisconsin, etc.).

Quality means everything.
Oh yeah...I remember. The punk ass kids who we belittled, and didn’t wanna be around. They never got invited to any parties and we treated them like a disease. The guys couldn’t get a date the whole time they were at ASU.

Wow, I didn’t realize they came from your town and school, but I knew they were from some lame ass place. Thanks for telling me.

BTW...sorry you got stuck at Oral Roberts University. Hope you made the best of it.

Old 12-29-2017, 04:27 PM

7,800 posts, read 4,400,201 times
Reading Trumpists rant and rave how college is a waste of time has me laughing. I mean laughing in the aisle.

Do you know how ridiculous you look making that argument?

Trump brags about his education. Trump's whole identity is based on his attending Wharton.

Do you think for an instance he would ever have his children or grands associate with anyone who did not have a college education? Do you think he would acquiesce if any of his descendants wanted to marry below their station?

Yeah, sure tell your kids to stay home and forego an education. Let them be religated to cleaning the toilets of the Trumps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies