Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2017, 08:41 PM

1,194 posts, read 726,424 times

Advertisements

To the college graduates out there if you had to do it all over again would you go back to college?

Quote:
Forty-five percent of those who enter college fail to graduate within five years. If you are in the bottom 25 percent of your high-school class, you are not going to make it through college. It’s much worse than a waste of time. It’s a waste of money, perhaps a great deal of it. If, at age 22, with a college degree, you settle in for a career in retail that doesn’t require a college degree, laden with student loans, you’d have been much better off if you had started your career four years earlier instead of spending four years puzzling over T. S. Eliot, post-revolutionary Africa, and trigonometry.

For those who aren’t well-suited for college: Go to the kind of school that actually teaches you a job — i.e., a vocational school, where students stay engaged by doing things and learning in the process — rather than dozing your way through a lecture. Learn to be an electrician or a plumber and you might even lose interest in Club Upper Middle Class. You’ll be warmly welcomed at Club Successful Working Class, and you may find the people who go there more fun to talk to anyway
Bryan Caplan

Old 12-26-2017, 08:49 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtrucks View Post
To the college graduates out there if you had to do it all over again would you go back to college?

Bryan Caplan
College was fun, but other than some parchment in a frame, it did little for me.

Old 12-26-2017, 08:54 PM

26,497 posts, read 15,074,947 times
I have a lot of former students who are smart enough, but they get degrees in philosophy, gender studies, African-American studies, etc..., which are less conducive to acquiring a career than let's say...electrical engineering.

...and then they get out and can't get a job with their degree...they wind up bitter at the world working as a barista at Starbucks, running a register at Panera bread, or signing an agreement to work for less than minimum wage at some charitable non-profit organization.

Meanwhile their are some STEM degrees that we have to import foreigners into the country to fulfill our needs.

I wonder if other schools have seen this issue too....college graduates who struggle to get a "career-style job" that they needed their degree to obtain.

Old 12-26-2017, 09:05 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,766,958 times
The National Review wants to discourage people from getting an education. Imagine that.

I bet the elites educate their children though.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 12-27-2017 at 09:26 PM.. Reason: off topic

Old 12-26-2017, 09:06 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,855,247 times
I went college because that’s what people did and had no directions for life... what I learned was useless but it was required to advance further in my career. For most people, college/vocational school need only be 2 years unless there is something specific they are looking to achieve..

Old 12-26-2017, 09:08 PM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 27 days ago)

27,646 posts, read 16,133,597 times
Makes sense. There seems to be a shortage of trade workers. They get paid great and you can learn on the job.

Old 12-26-2017, 09:10 PM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Multiple degrees, twelve years. But the parties were AWESOME.

Old 12-26-2017, 09:16 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,809,067 times
Many kids aren't ready for the college scene at 18. They just want to party, so to me that is a waste of $. We told our sons we would pay for college, but not for partying or the "I don't know what I want to be" degree. Four and 7 years respectively in the military and now they were/are ready for it. Plus $ saved in the bank and they own their late model cars.

Old 12-26-2017, 09:21 PM

3,130 posts, read 3,074,467 times
FYI: the kids that are successful in completing trade school or vocational training aren't usually at the bottom 25 percent of their class. They're usually still somewhat motivated.

The kids actually struggling in high school are usually the ones that are floundering afterwards - bouncing from McJob to McJob if they're lucky, often not working, and then having kids by age 20.

Old 12-26-2017, 09:22 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,930,400 times
Yes. I also plan on going back to get another BS in computer science over the course of a couple of years in my free time just for fun and to keep the mind sharp.

Unlike trying to become a trade person, no entity out there except universities will teach you how to do things like clone a gene, mass spectrometry, nuclear magnetic resonance, Fourier transform cyclotron resonance, let you fix an ion trap, uplc/hplc, or a whole laundry list of other highly technical techniques and instrumentation that can lead to well over 6 figure paying jobs. Most private companies can't even afford some of the types of equipment and facilities that top notch research institutions house and train students in/on. Learning science and engineering can not be done outside of a university. And no, just learning from the book is not doing real experimental science and engineering. It requires thousands of hours of toiling away in the lab or a government run institution under the guidance of people who are actually better than you so that you can learn from them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies