Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2017, 12:20 PM

25,732 posts, read 18,809,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
The government is us.
Speak for yourself. This government is no more me than the government of nazi Germany or the USSR would be. What it is is my King. Not much different from feudal Europe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2017, 12:22 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,834,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Retirees have their SS. If they didn't plan for retirement and didn't save for it, that is on them. Those same retirees have no problem spending a hundred a week on lottery tickets while complaining that they don't have enough to pay for their prescriptions. As they order another pack of cigarets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
True . I don't understand why people think it's up to the government to provide for their retirement or to make sure everything is cheap or free .

seniors actually have less excuse because they had more time to save and invest .

Real estate is probably the best route to financial independence and passive income in retirement . The returns will far exceed a savings account and less violitile than the stock market . rents usually don't go up and down everyday

How's the view from your ivory towers this time of year ?

Old 12-27-2017, 12:23 PM

25,732 posts, read 18,809,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgh guy View Post
What does the government produce?
As Mr. T said in an old movie one time: "Pain."

Old 12-27-2017, 12:23 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgh guy View Post
What the idiot leftist don't realize is millionaires create jobs and actually make usable products. What does the government produce?
Bail outs when the millionaires screw up?

Old 12-27-2017, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Speak for yourself. This government is no more me than the government of nazi Germany or the USSR would be. What it is is my King. Not much different from feudal Europe.
I generally ignore internet cowboys. Just a head up.

Old 12-27-2017, 12:25 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
The government is us. We get the government we elect. Will I argue with you that generally they do a really poor job? I will not. Does it have to be that way? No it doesn't and I place most of the blame that it is on those who want the government to be more of a help than a harm.

They refuse to condemn the government when it is a harm because, well, it's the government.
Which is why I almost always vote to limit government power.

Obama should be considered one of the worst presidents ever for essentially giving the government the power to force us to buy something from private companies because we are alive.

Old 12-27-2017, 12:26 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Oh Gawd..here we go again. The Conservative defense of bazillionaires by people who don’t have two nickels to rub together.

Boring.

Old 12-27-2017, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
Actually yea I got to go to school for free lived in a good neighborhood inherited some money so I could start my business. All these things means I am incredibly privileged and I don't delude myself into thinking that I would have it all on my own grit that is nonsense. There are classes of people and most people stay in there class social mobility is quite low in the United States. I would rather pay more in tax and help the people who need it the most.
What effective tax rate have you paid over the last five years? (A guess is sufficient)

Old 12-27-2017, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Which is why I almost always vote to limit government power.
And until someone proves that they can do things right, I won't condemn that.

Quote:
Obama should be considered one of the worst presidents ever for essentially giving the government the power to force us to buy something from private companies because we are alive.
I agree that was wrong and did a lot of damage to my argument.

Old 12-27-2017, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Oh Gawd..here we go again. The Conservative defense of bazillionaires by people who don’t have two nickels to rub together.

Boring.
I know. They should be forced to sit in the back of the bus. It’s not like they are people like us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies