Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2017, 05:51 AM

4,996 posts, read 2,442,962 times

Advertisements

Could it happen? Trump does not rule it out...

Flynn’s brother calls for pardon from Trump

"The brother of President Trump's ousted national security adviser Michael Flynn called on the president to pardon Flynn in a now-deleted tweet.
“About time you pardoned General Flynn who has taken the biggest fall for all of you given the illegitimacy of this confessed crime in the wake of all this corruption,” Joseph Flynn said in a tweet on Tuesday.
The tweet was in response to a tweet from Trump, in which the president complained about the unverified dossier detailing his alleged ties to Russia.
Flynn deleted the tweet shortly after it was posted, but confirmed to Newsweek he drafted and sent it.
“I said it, and maybe he’s listening,” Flynn's younger brother said.
The elder Flynn pleaded guilty to lying to federal investigators about his contacts with Russia’s ambassador to the United States earlier this month.
The former general was fired in February after it was revealed he had misled administration officials, including Vice President Pence, about foreign contacts.
Trump did not rule out pardoning Flynn while speaking with reporters earlier this month at the White House.
"I don’t want to talk about pardons for Michael Flynn yet,” the president said, adding "We'll see what happens. Let's see.""
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2017, 08:24 AM

12,390 posts, read 7,092,577 times
First we need to see if Flynn withdraws his plea, unlikely, but it could happen.

Trump should wait until the witch hunt is over, then pardon Flynn, it would be the right thing to do.

Old 12-27-2017, 08:27 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,603,454 times
How does a pardon work when someone says they are guilty?

Old 12-27-2017, 08:32 AM

10,726 posts, read 4,334,730 times
"I beg your pardon?" is one of my favorite phrases, very empowering for me when people beg me for the pardon.

Old 12-27-2017, 08:32 AM

23,968 posts, read 15,063,270 times
Even if the federal charges are dropped or pardoned, he will still be facing those revealed plans for kidnapping in NY or PA.

I'm still trying to figure out how a person so stupid could rise that far in the military and security community.

I have heard all my life that sucking up to the boss was how to advance in the military. Must be true.

But, all my relatives were enlisted.

Old 12-27-2017, 08:34 AM

8,840 posts, read 4,802,296 times
Flynn's already been cooperating with Mueller and his team for months, so I don't see how this would get trump off the hook.

Old 12-27-2017, 08:34 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,640,522 times
All in good time brother Flynn. Timing is everything and performance based too.
If the left wants to pardon criminal illegal aliens they have no basis for complaint when President Trump pardons anyone.

Old 12-27-2017, 08:36 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,622,028 times
Trump and the administration knew Flynn was “dirty” before they installed him. That’s whats troubling.

Old 12-27-2017, 08:37 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
Flynn's already been cooperating with Mueller and his team for months, so I don't see how this would get trump off the hook.
Has he now, and you know this as fact how exactly?

Old 12-27-2017, 08:39 AM

13,684 posts, read 9,003,085 times
I shall simply paste here an explanation I made using Mr. Kushner as an example; however, it will also fit Mr. Flynn et al:

"Allow me to, again, address the "Trump Pardons Jared, etc" theory.

Why? Because I see Conservatives on the Right urging it, and I see Liberals on the Left fearing it.

If Mr. Trump is being properly advised, he would have been told this:

1. A Presidential Pardon will prevent the person being pardoned from being tried for crimes and/or going to prison. Most famous example: Ford's pardon of Nixon.

2. A person 'pre-pardon' may invoke, if subpoenaed to testify, his or her Fifth Amendment right, on the grounds that said person's testimony may incriminate them. In our system of law, a person may not be compelled to testify against themselves if by doing so they risk their freedom.

3. Once a person has received a Presidential Pardon, said person no longer may invoke said Fifth Amendment, because that person is no longer in jeopardy of going to prison.

Let me use Mr. Kushner as an example.

Mr. Kushner, if subpoenaed to testify, has the right to show up and claim the Fifth Amendment (he does not have the right to refuse to appear).

If Mr. Trump pardons Mr. Kushner, then Mr. Kushner, no longer having the jeopardy of going to prison, must testify. He no longer has Fifth Amendment protection.

What happens if Mr. Kushner nevertheless refuses to testify?

The Court or Congressional committee (or what have you) may then hold Mr. Kushner in 'contempt of court' (or Congress). If Mr. Kushner continues to refuse to testify, he will then be jailed, until such time as he agrees to testify. He may be held for an indefinite period of time. The old saying is that a person jailed for contempt hold the keys to the cell in his pocket: meaning, testify, and you are let out.

If Mr. Kushner, thus compelled to testify, is discovered to have lied, then he may be charged with perjury (a President Pardon only covers crimes committed, or that may have been committed, prior to the date of the Pardon. It does not cover future crimes, such as perjury). If found guilty of perjury, off to prison for a set period of time.

Hence, Mr. Trump will only start to 'pardon' people if he is an idiot and refuses to follow good, sound legal advise. It is markedly better for those like Mr. Kushner to invoke the Fifth Amendment. People may howl, but howling does not cause one to go to prison, or be impeached.

I realize that Mr. Trump pardoned Sheriff Joe of Phoenix. However, no one cares about what he may have to say on virtually any subject.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies