Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is it morally acceptable to receive money you didn’t earn?
Yes 58 68.24%
No 22 25.88%
I don’t know. 5 5.88%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2017, 07:39 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,563,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
As long as you didn't steal it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2017, 09:05 PM

716 posts, read 394,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
If I give you .25 cents, you’d graciously accept it like a bum?
You seem to be under the impression that anything given to anyone is given with contempt for the recipient. If your grandmother gave you a gift would you throw it back in her face or graciously accept it like a grateful grandson? And btw, if I was living on the street, on my last leg, I'd graciously accept your two bits as a person living on the street, on my last leg.

I know it's difficult for conservatives to summon up much empathy or to put themselves in someone else's shoes, but anyone can reach a point where they'd do almost anything to stay alive. How a society treats its poor and destitute speaks volumes about its character. Read some history.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
It's about the reason why one receives that money. Reasons matter. Except of course to the progressive left and to the progressive right.
It's also about the reason why one gives that money. Your snide remark aside, I agree, see above...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Agreed. Quite a few people thought Jim Crow was moral...
Any many thought lynching's were acceptable, slavery was sanctioned by the bible and going back further, witch burning was doing God's work. Acceptable morals change, get used to it...

Old 12-27-2017, 09:11 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,757,061 times
It's acceptable if it was a gift but not acceptable if you stole it from taxpayers (via welfare)

Old 12-28-2017, 01:07 PM

716 posts, read 394,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevroqs View Post
It's acceptable if it was a gift but not acceptable if you stole it from taxpayers (via welfare)
I find calling the taxes we pay theft laughable, but it's taken as gospel in Republican and Libertarian circles.

The only group of Americans who despise our government and the taxes required to run it more than Republicans, are Libertarians. They have proposed a new subversive tactic to help them take down our system. Their point is that it's all in the sales pitch, they need a new 'soft sell' approach as their current extremist screed is turning off too many Americans.

From an article on the, "Being Libertarian" website:

"...When you are trying to convince people to change their ideology and to adopt a new way of looking at the world, and the proper relationship of state and citizen, you need to engage with them on a level that will bring them in, not push them away or alienate them. A big statement like calling taxation theft demands a defensive posture from the start, and that is hardly a position of strength from which to change hearts and minds. Instead, we need to focus our attacks on the failures of statist ideologies in practice and offer an alternative to those on the fence that they will find palatable. People are naturally conservative in the sense that they fear radical change. Taxes are such a fundamental part of life that trying to build a case around their total rejection will meet with failure. No one likes paying taxes. But there is a default belief in our society that they are a necessary evil, if not a positive good. When we open with “taxation is theft” we have to defend a big proposition, and we have to do it in the face of intuitive cognitive opposition. That is just bad argumentation strategy. Successful arguments have to play to people’s intuitions and gradually shift their thinking. Beginning in an adversarial posture guarantees that the people we approach are on mental defense, when we need them to be open to change..."

I never understood why conservatives/libertarians talk as if our government was shipped in from Somalia who impose arbitrary taxes pulled out of their ass. When in fact, it's American voters who're the ones taxing themselves thru our representatives we send to Washington and our State Houses.

They completely ignore the will of the majority who consent to tax themselves to pay for the services we provide our citizens. If conservatives don't like it, they can try to convince their fellow Americans to send conservatives who cut taxes for the wealthy.

Tha's how a representative democracy is run, of course if they can't get them elected, they can always threaten a revolution like we've been hearing lately...

Old 12-28-2017, 01:11 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,774,233 times
Quote:
Is it morally acceptable to receive money you didn’t earn like from strangers?
The answer isn't "Yes", because it isn't always morally right.

The answer isn't "No" because it isn't always morally wrong.

And the answer isn't "I don't know" because I do, in fact, know.

It's almost like complex moral questions can't be answered properly on a yes/no/idk basis.

Old 12-28-2017, 01:21 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,646,239 times
Quote:
Not only you would accept, you would be more than happy to murder me for it.
Mmmm... I wouldn't happily murder you for the two bits, but... if you were to keep starting stupid threads like this...

Old 12-28-2017, 03:25 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,793,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd-bound View Post
Better to be an ingrate than gracious?
That's my reaction. You know that little saying, "it's better to give than receive"? When someone wants to give me something, I figure that I make both our days when I say, "Oh, Thank You! You're so thoughtful!"

Note - I am talking here about a true gift, not one of those "I gave you X, so now you have to do Y" transactions. Those I avoid like the plague.

Old 12-28-2017, 03:28 PM

13,513 posts, read 17,060,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd-bound View Post
Most likely.

Three or four, "Taxes are theft" - "Lazy welfare recipients" threads are started everyday...

By the same pathetic lower middle class losers, most likely.

Old 12-28-2017, 03:29 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,472,127 times
Quote:
Lottery is what you earned.
How did you earn it? You spend a few bucks on tickets, get lucky, and get a big payout from everyone else who played and lost

So giving to charity is immoral, as is getting a check or savings bond from your grandma on your graduation?

Old 12-28-2017, 03:35 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,058,228 times
Quote:
Is it morally acceptable to receive money you didn’t earn like from strangers?
Sure, why not? As long as it isn't stolen no issue...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies