Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2017, 12:18 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,946,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
I don't care about this issue and neither gay issue but one thing I have noticed is Hollywood seeming to have to have a gay person in every show now.

Game of Thrones
Znation
Walking dead
Fear the Walking dead
Black Sails ( lol even a pirate had to be gay)

those are shows I watch sure there are more.

It's like when they write a script its (we gotta have a gay person in there)

I guess soon it will be gotta have a transgender in the script
Sounds like you'll be watching this one:. https://www.yahoo.com/news/fx-makes-...231805591.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2017, 12:20 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,360,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by este914 View Post
In the western world (which is mostly white) there is a lot of flack for not being "diverse" enough, not having enough non-white characters, lots of flack for beauty standards based off white people etc. etc. Given that depending on what western country you are talking about white people can make up the decent to good majority of people, so why is it somehow inherently bad that white people are portrayed the most in most aspects of society?

Do you think it's bad that if you went to Japan and looked at all their media/film the vast majority of actors are Asian? Or that if you look at their beauty magazines the vast majority are of Asian women? Same for countries like China, Korea etc. Same deal if you go to Africa, pretty sure the vast majority portrayed will be African. Or take India and Bollywood, vast majority of actors are, of course, Indian.

So to me it's just seems ridiculous when non-white people living in predominantly white countries say stuff like "Most of those you see in TV/Movies are white" "Beauty standards have been based off white women" "White people make up the majority of x" etc. etc. etc. Yeah, so? It kind of makes sense all of that will be based off of whoever makes up the majority if not the vast majority of people. That goes for whatever country. Yet apparently only white/western countries get lots of flack for it. Another way to look at it is that I am a woman and a big gamer yet understand why most video games are made for and marketed towards men. So do you think there is something wrong with it? If so, should we not be complaining big time to Japan and China, Korea etc. that they don't advertise a lot more African, Indian and Middle Eastern women? Or even white women for that matter?
Actually minorities of all sorts are over-represented in the media in relation to their population percentage.

Old 12-28-2017, 12:44 PM

404 posts, read 193,427 times
Quote:
In the western world (which is mostly white) there is a lot of flack for not being "diverse" enough, not having enough non-white characters, lots of flack for beauty standards based off white people etc. etc. Given that depending on what western country you are talking about white people can make up the decent to good majority of people, so why is it somehow inherently bad that white people are portrayed the most in most aspects of society?

Do you think it's bad that if you went to Japan and looked at all their media/film the vast majority of actors are Asian? Or that if you look at their beauty magazines the vast majority are of Asian women? Same for countries like China, Korea etc. Same deal if you go to Africa, pretty sure the vast majority portrayed will be African. Or take India and Bollywood, vast majority of actors are, of course, Indian.

So to me it's just seems ridiculous when non-white people living in predominantly white countries say stuff like "Most of those you see in TV/Movies are white" "Beauty standards have been based off white women" "White people make up the majority of x" etc. etc. etc. Yeah, so? It kind of makes sense all of that will be based off of whoever makes up the majority if not the vast majority of people. That goes for whatever country. Yet apparently only white/western countries get lots of flack for it. Another way to look at it is that I am a woman and a big gamer yet understand why most video games are made for and marketed towards men. So do you think there is something wrong with it? If so, should we not be complaining big time to Japan and China, Korea etc. that they don't advertise a lot more African, Indian and Middle Eastern women? Or even white women for that matter?
Look at most ads on TV or in the print media & it does appear like blacks are represented at disproportionately higher levels than either their population share or economic output. One does wonder how many blacks actually do make the ski trek to Tahoe in their Volvo Suv ? Of course some, although the advertisers make it seem like virtually every black person does given how many appear in their ads.

Advertisers are also in the game of recurring themes in their ads, such as interracial dating as one example. One would think the place is crawling with White/Black couples. When the truth is entirely different. If anything non White images take up far more of the advertising landscape. Puzzling, as we know interracial couples such as Black/White pairings exist far less than what the advertising industry would lead us to believe.

Old 12-28-2017, 12:47 PM

5,315 posts, read 2,113,297 times
Quote:
Well, they totally made SW an SJW/PC hugbox. The main character is, of course, a woman that is incredible at everything right out of the box. A total Mary Sue. All the bad guys are straight white men. Whereas the good guys are an amalgamation of every different race/ethnicity there is.
I don’t want to get spoilery, so I will just say this is not 100% true.

Old 12-28-2017, 12:47 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,247,950 times
Quote:

When I was a kid we used to watch the Cosby Show with had a mostly black cast. They key was that the show had Bill Cosby so people gave the show a chance. And I have been watching Japanese and Chinese movies for as long as I can remember.

So I don't think most people care that much what race the actors are as long as the show is funny or interesting to watch.

Having said that, most of us, not just white people but most Americans are used to seeing white people on TV or in movies, it is basically the safe approach for those in the entertainment business. Remember they are making TV shows and movies that cost millions to make, they want to want assurance that they will make their money back and then some.

So for instance, if a Hollywood company wants to make a comedy about a South Asian family, they figure it will probably attract Indian viewers but they do not know how it will play out with White, Black, Hispanic or East Asian viewers. If the network gives the shows a chance, it may take off and all groups will watch it because I think most of us are relatively open minded and will watch a good show regardless of who the actors are. The problem is that many networks do not give new shows the time needed to find their audience.

So many production companies decide to take the safe approach with either white actors or minority actors who are well known and liked by the public.

Old 12-28-2017, 12:52 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 22 days ago)

29,550 posts, read 16,539,320 times
Quote:
73% includes Hispanics, Mexican and central americans who are darker skinned who are fairly under represented in film.

61% not including Hispanics.

Old 12-28-2017, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Actually minorities of all sorts are over-represented in the media in relation to their population percentage.
Not true.

Quote:
A new study from USC’s Annenberg School for Communications that examined TV programming for a one-year period ending Aug. 31, 2015, reveals that 72% of speaking or named characters were white, 12% black, 5.8% Hispanic/Latino, 5.1% Asian, 2.3% Middle Eastern and 3.1% other. This means that 28.3% of all speaking characters were from underrepresented racial and ethnic groups, well below such groups’ proportion of the U.S. population (37.9%). But the reception of the shows mentioned above (among others) demonstrates that there’s clearly an appetite for fresh voices.
Why Television is Embracing Diversity & Realities of Race – Variety

Your logic is based on watching a show like for example The Big Bang Theory which has 8 characters listed as Lead actors, but only 1 of which is a minority. In your mind, that character is prominent so you view it is a minority character always being involved,but statistically

1 out of 8. that is 12.5%

if you divide that by everyone who has been labeled a series guest star and appeared and spoken in more than 10 episodes, like Will Wheaton or Barry kripke, that percentage drops to less than 5% even though there are actually 3 more minority characters added.

Old 12-28-2017, 01:06 PM

18,455 posts, read 7,087,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Why is it so bad if media, magazines, etc. DO depict non-white, non-heterosexual people?
It's not bad.

But the way that it has seemingly become fashionable.... almost mandatory, to over represent minorities and LGBT characters and relationships in numbers and frequency that is disproportionate to their actual population in reality is just kind of silly.

It's to the point where it's getting kind of ridiculous.....

If you were an alien judging Earth by looking at our TV shows and movies, you'd think half the planet was gay.

Example: I just watched Atomic Blonde with Charlize Theron who plays sort of a female James Bond.....and of course there's a lesbian scene with her and another character.

Now, don't get me wrong..... Charlize Theron is absolutely gorgeous.... and it doesn't bother me a bit....

But was it really necessary to the plot line?

Old 12-28-2017, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
I don't care about this issue and neither gay issue but one thing I have noticed is Hollywood seeming to have to have a gay person in every show now.

Game of Thrones
Cant speak to the others, but Game of thrones is based on a book series that was thought up in the lates 1980's and written in the 90's and early 2000's

cant really blame hollywood for making a gay book character gay in the tv adaption.

Old 12-28-2017, 01:12 PM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 26 days ago)

27,645 posts, read 16,129,622 times
I hardly ever see real black women on tv
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies