Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2017, 02:44 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,132,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
A huge problem. A black man will never become President. Too much racism.
We had a black president and guess what? He received hell from your type for years... There is legitimate opposition to policy and than there's the type of opposition your type gave him... But nice try...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2017, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Because after dozens and dozens of them, one starts to see a pattern. A Pattern is not Random.

Math is Racist, Jingle Bells is Racist, and Black infant mortality is the result of Racism are three examples I have seen on the board in the last week alone.

Not mention random off the wall personal opinions best describes what you post on the board.

The aforementioned come from Academia, where one would think the players have some education and aversion to stupidity.

I trust that answers your question.

Now I have a question:

Why does it not disturb you? Considering they all imply that black people are tribe of clueless buffoons, I would think it would make you angry.
I usually see these things you're so concerned with mostly online. You've probably never seen anyone in person refer to jingle bells or math as racist either. You right wingers like to use online fringe reports as lightening rods... For those of us that live in the real world, stuff like this is insignificant..

Old 12-28-2017, 02:58 PM

3,130 posts, read 3,073,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
What does that even mean. Sounds like a round about way of saying racist.
"Spaces" are kind of a fuzzy term, but they refer to the subtle, often unconscious use of background, ideas, clientele, etc., to give clues as to who they think is a cultural fit and who isn't, amongst other things.

It's not really racism (or any other "-ism,") and may actually be opposed to that.

I'll give an example - I'm a man, and about 10 years ago, I lost a bunch of weight using Weight Watchers. Everybody there was nice and professional towards me, and celebrated my accomplishments. It was also definitely a "feminized" space. Topic discussions like "getting your nails done instead of eating if you want to treat yourself" were examples of this.

So what the authors are saying is that the farmers markets studied (and probably not all of them), they are dominated by the culture of highly educated white liberals and people similar to them (which may include people of color who are otherwise indistinguishable.) That means while poorer and minority populations may be welcome to shop there, they might not feel comfortable due to not understanding the culture that these farmers markets have.

FYI - often times, successful businesses appeal to a wide range of these "cultures." For example, I feel comfortable at my local supermarket (Meijer for you Michigan folks) because they do a good job with it. I often feel like I don't belong at Walmart, for example, and I only feel like I belong at Whole Foods because I am similar to their demographic typing. It's something at least for farmers markets to consider.

Old 12-28-2017, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
What's your personal opinion on their hypothesis?
My opinion is farmers’ markets aren't racist and there should be more of them...

Old 12-28-2017, 03:05 PM

45,378 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
I usually see these things you're so concerned with mostly online. You've probably never seen anyone in person refer to jingle bell or math as racist either. You right wingers like to use online fringe reports as lightening rods... For those of us that live in the real world stuff like this is insignificant..
Here's the thing with this particular paper about farmer's markets, the truism of "Publish or Perish" existing in academia.

Just by its nature this paper will have widespread dissemination and will likely become required reading in Sociology or other courses.

Old 12-28-2017, 03:08 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,730,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
And guess what, farmers, like any other business owner, go to where they think they'll make sales and money.
that may be true, but it's not relevant.

Old 12-28-2017, 03:10 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,730,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
The last two farmer's markets I was involved with were - and are - very concerned about access to low-income people, whatever their color. They are also both located in areas with higher-than-average household income.

Not only can people use their SNAP benefits at these markets, but the markets double their face amount. They do this from market receipts (and from a state program), and I've never heard a peep of complaint about it. I think this is a pretty common practice.

Also, one of the two markets I am familiar with serves a geographically large market area, and bought a refrigerated truck. This truck carries the farmer's market to outlying communities on regular days.

So whatever is true about the markets these profs looked at, unconcern for low-income people isn't a general characteristic of all farmer's markets in affluent areas.

Yes, I believe their quantitative spatial analysis was unimpressive.

I took economic geography and human geography (what they call 'cultural geography' ) in college, and it's full of extremely interesting concepts that are sort of abstract and not terribly useful. (like the idea that location carries inherent biases)

I work in the field of geography, and I have yet to meet a "cultural geographer" who wasn't a professor.

Old 12-28-2017, 03:38 PM

45,378 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
that may be true, but it's not relevant.
It's relevant because the premise is that farmer's markets aren't available in poor areas.

Old 12-28-2017, 03:59 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
Why does random off the wall personal opinions seem to set off the right wing nut jobs like this? You guys like to use fringe opinions to rally...
I'm a Democrat, and not everyone posting is a right wing nut job.

The reason this is 'setting us off' is because this isn't a one off. Another poster has given numerous examples where idiots like this come up with some bogus theory. It happens on a regular basis. And because many of them are involved in Academia, they may be viewed as being authorities on the subject.

There are more non-racist white people who post here than racist white people, but those fringe nut jobs who are racist against black people set off a lot of people when they post. Why is that? Whatever the reason is, apply it to this situation.

It gets old, if nothing else.

Old 12-28-2017, 06:21 PM

7,300 posts, read 3,396,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Farmer Markets are racist

The fruits and vegetables are escaping the asylums AND THEY WANT POWER.

Two San Diego State University professors contributed a chapter to a new anthology arguing that farmers' markets are "insidious" "white spaces where the food consumption habits of white people are normalized."

The farmers markets in my area has a good representation of Hispanic growers and sellers.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...of-white-peop/

https://www.campusreform.org/?ID=10306

https://www.thecoast.ca/seaportmarke...sMarkets.x.pdf
I read it. It's just a lot of different ways of saying that they hate white people and yet want to occupy their cultural and physical space.

When minorities move into the physical or cultural space of white people, mixing with and then eventually overtaking either, its progress. When whites do it, or even preserve their own apparently, its evil gentrification.

Thus, there is no semantic consistency to the rhetoric of professors like these. This is why their rants can be legitimately simplified as being rants that are about hating white people.

There is nothing else to these morally twisted arguments and concepts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies