Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2017, 03:19 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,760,961 times

Advertisements

Random thoughts as I read this interesting thread.

- I'm amazed that so many people think that keeping one's head down and excelling in school is perceived (by many in this thread) as "dominant". It isn't "dominant"....it's merely "cultural"....and the person ultimately (in his career) isn't automatically perceived as "dominant" (or alpha) for high Test Scores.

- This thread showed SO much promise and aside from Detroiter (who interestingly, I don't always agree with but in this thread, he/she immediately "Got it" and has been on point) and a couple of other posters, it seems to have devolved into either a Bash Asian Tourists thread.....or a collection of anecdotal Asian stereotype comments thread that borders on racism.

- Perhaps if the OP had used the term Alpha Male (instead of Dominant) the thread would have moved in a different direction.

- So many of you are attacking Bettafish for asking a realistic question. Why do non-asians look at a Male Asian and assume they aren't an Alpha Male? (Metroword posted a great comment and take on this, btw.)

Bettafish asks a fair question. I know several Asian Alpha Males and they are absolutely looked at with surprise (when asserting themselves) from non Asians. (maybe not "dislike".....but certainly with surprise).

- This is also perpetuated in Hollywood, since there are no Asian Eastwoods, Stalones, James Bonds, or Die Hard dudes etc. (in America Cinema). Frankly, I can't think of a single Asian Alpha Male portrayed in a Hollywood movie since Bruce Lee. (maybe the lead character in the remake of the King and I dude?.....or the Mulan cartoon character?).

- & I suspect this "dislike" or "surprise" shown to the Asian Alpha would absolutely have an effect on how one views an Asian in the work force (as Bettafish, Detroiter, Metroword & maybe a couple of others were trying to say.) & Possibly on the Asian Male himself.

I'm amazed at how so few posters understood what Bettafish was asking (or trying to get to) It was supposed to be a D*mn Conversation about the Asian American Male in the workplace (they make up 14% of my City's population, & one is my son.)

But instead the thread devolved into bullsh*t stereotyping (which bordered on racism) 1. The clueless/rude Asian tourist, 2. The demure & submissive Asian girl, & 3. The beta (non dominant) male. Makes me want to puke.

I can't even imagine if I used decades old stereotypes of Blacks (in a thread) like some of the posters in this thread were using decades old Asian stereotypes.....to describe Chinese/Japanese/Korean citizens & also Asian-American citizens. No wonder Bettafish was getting so exasperated at the cluelessness of some of the responses.

Last edited by hound 109; 12-29-2017 at 03:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2017, 03:23 PM

9,240 posts, read 9,714,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
So you readily admit that you didn't read the study, jumped to conclusions without reading it, and failed to account for the fact that many of the participants were in fact Asian (majority for 3/4 studies). And FWIW, I have had very extensive training in pure and applied mathematics thank you very much. Now I suppose it would have been too much effort to travel to your local public university to get the paper for free and read the study before jumping to erroneous conclusions about Americans. It's much more fun to drum up controversy isn't it?
Right I did not read the full paper but I read the abstract, conclusion, and also third parties' discussion, which is enough for a general discussion on CD.
Some of your concerns may be legitimate, and I suggest you contact the authors and editors to improve their experimental design. There is no need to point me to the details of the studies. Neither of us conducted the research and there are some details we are not aware of.

That being said, your attempt to throw off the whole study due to some alleged biases in the design is not really acceptable.

Old 12-29-2017, 03:23 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,916,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
Random thoughts as I read this interesting thread.

- I'm amazed that so many people think that keeping one's head down and excelling in school is perceived (by many in this thread) as "dominant". It isn't. It's "cultural"....but the person ultimately isn't perceived as "dominant" (or alpha).

- This thread showed SO much promise and aside from Detroiter (who ironicially I don't always agree with) and a couple of others, it's seems to have devolved into either a Bash Asian Tourists thread.....or a collection of anecdotal Asian stereotype comments that border on racism.

- Perhaps if the OP had used the term Alpha Male (instead of Dominant) the thread would have moved in a different direction.

- So many of you are attacking Bettafish for asking a realistic question. Why do non-asians look at a Male Asian and assume they aren't an Alpha Male?

Bettafish asks a fair question. I know several Asian Alpha Males and they are absolutely looked at with surprise (when asserting themselves) from non Asians. (maybe not "dislike".....but certainly with surprise).

- This is also perpetuated in Hollywood, since there are no Asian Eastwoods or Stalones, or Bonds, or Die Hard dudes etc. (in America Cinema). Frankly, I can't think of an Alpha Male portrayed in a Hollywood movie since Bruce Lee. (maybe the lead character in the remake of the King and I dude.....or the Mulan cartoon character).

- & I suspect this "dislike" or "surprise" shown to the Asian Alpha would absolutely have an effect on how one views an Asian in the work force (as Bettafish, Detroiter, Metroword & maybe a couple of others were trying to say.)

I'm amazed at how so few posters understood what Bettafish was asking (or trying to get to)....and also at the stereotyping (which bordered on racism) that I saw posted in this thread. (The clueless/rude Asian tourist, the demure & submissive Asian girl, the beta (non dominant) male.)

I can't even imagine if I used decades old stereotypes of Blacks (in a thread) like some of you used decades old asian stereotypes.....to describe Chinese/Japanese/Korean citizens & Asian-American citizens. No wonder Bettafish was getting so exasperated at the cluelessness of some of the responses.

Sigh......you didn't read the study either. The data used to examine the stereotypes about the roles of Asians came from a study that used a majority of Asian participants in 3 out of the 4 studies! One of the studies even used over 70% Asian participants.

In a similar vein, one might ask based on this study 'why is it that when Asian people see other Asians they don't assume a dominant alpha male personality?'

Old 12-29-2017, 03:24 PM

18,429 posts, read 15,171,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post

.......Airline passengers kick up a stink on Delta flight from Beijing to Detroit after Chinese family let toddler poop on his seat.............

.....sometimes, $%^& happens, doesn't mean ALL Chinese do it....

LOL. Good pun.

Old 12-29-2017, 03:24 PM

7,473 posts, read 3,994,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I don't know what you are saying

The video is about Asian discriminating against each other, which is well known in the Asian communities. "Jungle Asian" is a code term in the Asian community, the video explains it well.

I don't know why they do it, they are all the same. Point is almost everyone "discriminates". But when it comes to "other race" and "other color", some people tend to make a big deal out of it.

What I am saying is you have "corrected" my knowledge of what "jungle" Asian means.........

In other words you informed me of something I was unaware of.............

Old 12-29-2017, 03:26 PM

39,028 posts, read 27,438,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
What I am saying is you have "corrected" my knowledge of what "jungle" Asian means.........

In other words you informed me of something I was unaware of.............
It's all good.

Old 12-29-2017, 03:37 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,539,161 times
"Alpha males" aren't a thing. Getting really tired of hearing that term.

Old 12-29-2017, 03:42 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,760,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
Sigh......you didn't read the study either. The data used to examine the stereotypes about the roles of Asians came from a study that used a majority of Asian participants in 3 out of the 4 studies! One of the studies even used over 70% Asian participants.

In a similar vein, one might ask based on this study 'why is it that when Asian people see other Asians they don't assume a dominant alpha male personality?'
I read the link in the OP. & the conclusions in the (one page) link doesn't jive with your comment above. (was there another link that shared the Whole Study?)

Your comment also didn't persuade me to change or revise even one of my dozen (or more) bullet points.

Old 12-29-2017, 03:43 PM

45,676 posts, read 23,908,261 times
Just quickly reading -- the first post that stuck out -- the one where someone begins to analyze Asians based on meeting one aggressive Asian....yeah -- that's not racist or anything -- lol ......

Old 12-29-2017, 03:51 PM

18,073 posts, read 18,738,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
I read the link in the OP. & the conclusions in the (one page) link doesn't jive with your comment above. (was there another link that shared the Whole Study?)

Your comment also didn't persuade me to change or revise even one of my dozen (or more) bullet points.
The poster searched online and found the actual study.

The OP has done everything to get around the fact the entire basis for this thread is bunk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies