Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2017, 04:37 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,806,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
Don't worry, folks, the earth is resilient. It has survived far far worse than farting cows over 4.5 billion years.
The general concern among scientists are not around earth surviving. It's about humans surviving.

Earth and life (in some form) will continue to survive. Scientists know that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2017, 04:37 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,941,970 times
If it's colder, hotter, drier, wetter or anything else, it's because of climate change. No matter what happens, it's impossible to falsify the theory. Which means it's not science.

Old 12-28-2017, 04:39 PM

10,513 posts, read 5,161,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Prove that any of that is true. They have been caught "adjusting" data over and over.
Fake news. Scientific databases undergo minor adjustments when methods and techniques are improved, and biases are removed. There is no conspiracy to cheat with the data.

Consider a weather station that used a certain mercury thermometer in the 1940's. You take that thermometer into a lab and check with modern equipment, and you find it's consistently reads 1% high. Once that is established the data for that thermometer is adjusted downward by 1%. Nothing sinister about that.

Old 12-28-2017, 04:40 PM

19,717 posts, read 10,109,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Yes, this is true. Over the past several years a common pattern in winter has been warm Arctic, less than normal sea ice, cold and snowy east of the Rockies and warm and dry to the west. Studies are ongoing but there have been papers from climatologists that suggest at least a partial link to man-made global warming.

There is absolutely no question that higher CO2 levels are heating the Arctic and melting sea ice and glaciers. Weather is the tug of war between the hot tropics and the cold poles. If we sharply warm the poles it only makes sense that the weather has to change.

Yes, it is 100% certain that climate change is man made. Never in the history of the Earth has the climate changed as quickly as it is now. When you increase global CO2 in the air by 40% in 100 years time, the additional heat that is trapped has to change the climate.
And what kind of science degree do you have to be so certain?

Old 12-28-2017, 04:41 PM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Record cold temps. Climate change, What happened ? Were have a heat wave a tropical heat wave.
The earth is heating up. That's climate,

It's not heating up all at the same time or in the same places. That's weather.

Know the difference.

Part of climate change means the cold will grow more intense during the winters in places where it wasn't so cold before, and places that were always cold in the winter will become warmer.

It also means that places that were once dry will become wetter, and places where it was wet will become drier.

That's what happens when the climate changes. What happens during the change are all nothing more than passing weather events. Weather constantly changes and ****s. Climate are the overall trends of great long-term shifts.

For me, earth's warming may be a good thing, as I live in a cold, dry state. Global warming means more rain and hotter summers for me; both good things.

But if I was living in Oklahoma, it would be a terrible thing. It would mean Idaho is getting all the winter moisture that should be falling in Oklahoma, and no water means an even hotter Oklahoma summer will result in drought and wildfire.

So, for the moment, much depends on where a person lives. But if the earth continues to warm at the present rate, the sea levels will rise, and that means some cities will drown.

That should worry you, because most of us live close to the seashore now, and those folks will have to move somewhere when their homes go underwater.

If you don't like immigration now, just wait and see if you like it better when it happens to your home place.

Old 12-28-2017, 04:43 PM

23,965 posts, read 15,063,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
What the acolytes to the church of global warming forget is that it was substantially warmer in the medieval warming period and the earth did just fine.
How many people were on the earth then, how much fossil fuel was being used?

IDK if climate change is real or not. But having been raised by wolves, my mantra is I'd rather be safe than sorry.

What if it is true?

And my religious book compels me to be a good steward of the earth.

Old 12-28-2017, 04:43 PM

19,717 posts, read 10,109,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Fake news. Scientific databases undergo minor adjustments when methods and techniques are improved, and biases are removed. There is no conspiracy to cheat with the data.

Consider a weather station that used a certain mercury thermometer in the 1940's. You take that thermometer into a lab and check with modern equipment, and you find it's consistently reads 1% high. Once that is established the data for that thermometer is adjusted downward by 1%. Nothing sinister about that.
Every time I have brought up the fact that temp measuring equipment from the 1880s, the time they point to, was not as accurate as today's equipment, The AGW people say that I am wrong. You people need to get together.

Old 12-28-2017, 04:45 PM

27,212 posts, read 46,724,071 times
Global cooling -37F in Minnesota! I don't think the people over there will agree with Global warming.

Just as every winter, Al Gore and the cronies are hunkering down and quiet. Where is Leonardo DiCaprio... oh, I bet he is warming up with another young mid that is half his age!

Old 12-28-2017, 04:46 PM

27,212 posts, read 46,724,071 times
Global cooling -37F in Minnesota! I don't think the people over there will agree with Global warming.

Just as every winter, Al Gore and the cronies are hunkering down and quiet. Where is Leonardo DiCaprio... oh, I bet he is warming up with another young model that is half his age!

Old 12-28-2017, 04:48 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,587,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post

Just as every winter, Al Gore and the cronies are hunkering down and quiet. Where is Leonardo DiCaprio... oh, I bet he is warming up with another young mid that is half his age!
Again, meanwhile, we are approaching a record high today here in southern Arizona. Just stop already, you don't know what you are talking about
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies