Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2017, 03:51 PM

5,731 posts, read 2,192,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Define significant.

How much extra is you bonus , percentage wise? Is it tied to corporate earnings or departmental goals?

How much extra do you bring home each pay period, percentage wise?

Did you lose out on itemizing because the personal exemptions were removed and it's now better for you to take the standard deduction because of losing the personal exemptions? Is the new stanard deduction lower or higher than what you typically itemized before 2018?
Bonus is up to 5 percent of base salary. With the tax bill factored in I predict the two combined will equate to a 7% increase in earning next year, excluding my annual merit increase. I'm looking at a 10% pay increase without a promotion in 2018. I don't itemize and will benefit from the new standard deduction. I prefer to not go into further detail
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2017, 03:56 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,483,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoOnMyMind View Post
Bonus is up to 5 percent of base salary. With the tax bill factored in I predict the two combined will equate to a 7% increase in earning next year, excluding my annual merit increase. I'm looking at a 10% pay increase without a promotion in 2018. I don't itemize and will benefit from the new standard deduction. I prefer to not go into further detail
Thanks for the info. I was wondering what you meant by significant.

I assume you wouldn't qualify for the bonus until early 2019, because it's based on productivity for 2018.

Old 12-28-2017, 03:56 PM

76,975 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
I received two work emails today, one from my CEO announcing a new annual bonus program and another from payroll explaining withholding plans for the new tax reform bill. Both of are going to make a significant difference in my income.
If this is your first bonus, you have either been working for the wrong company, or have not been much of a contributor. When I was a full time employee, bonuses were normal in every company I worked for.

Old 12-28-2017, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
If this is your first bonus, you have either been working for the wrong company, or have not been much of a contributor. When I was a full time employee, bonuses were normal in every company I worked for.
I was receiving a bonus at my old job, I left there for a 25% pay bump

Old 12-28-2017, 04:22 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,533,813 times
Quote:
I received two work emails today, one from my CEO announcing a new annual bonus program and another from payroll explaining withholding plans for the new tax reform bill. Both of are going to make a significant difference in my income.

Thank you President Trump for your pro-business policies. This is shaping up to be a great year for millions of working middle-class families. I predict 2018 is the year we begin to see real wage increases.

Happy New Years

I'd like to know how you think this is Trumps doing.

Old 12-28-2017, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Thanks for the info. I was wondering what you meant by significant.

I assume you wouldn't qualify for the bonus until early 2019, because it's based on productivity for 2018.
That's correct

Old 12-28-2017, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
I'd like to know how you think this is Trumps doing.
The tax cut is directly Trumps doing, and I have a hunch the bonus program is related to the tax deal since I work in a highly taxed and regulated industry

Old 12-28-2017, 04:28 PM

19,750 posts, read 22,661,296 times
Actually I'm concerned about the lack of upward wage pressure in lieu of the low unemployment numbers over the past 24-36 months. You normally see it in tandem with downward unemployment.

We have not.

Bonuses help, but wages need to rise as well.

Old 12-28-2017, 04:28 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,533,813 times
Quote:
The tax cut is directly Trumps doing, and I have a hunch the bonus program is related to the tax deal since I work in a highly taxed and regulated industry

Sorry but a hunch doesn't count this program might of been in the works before he got voted in. IMO, I don't see why a company which is in the business of making money would give any sort of bonus, without REALLY knowing how this is going to effect them in the long run.

Old 12-28-2017, 04:33 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
My company has given out monthly bonuses since they were founded back in 1964. All of us Program Managers are given a bonus money budget to distribute to deserving employees monthly. I have all kinds of goodies from gift cards, straight up VISA debit cards, or I can simply have Payroll in Virginia put a predetermined amount in their checks depending on the level of competency they’ve shown at certain tasks. Or I can just award a guy for busting his ass. I’ve got a materials handler that gets extras almost every month.

Bonuses are nothing new or special. What workers need are PAY RAISES!! Not bonuses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies